Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think you can see the new era somewhat in what the coaching staff at Lock Haven is able to do. They are very present on social media and are fully bought in to what gets kids excited about visiting a small D2 school in central Pennsylvania. Lots of graphics, hashtags, and hype gets kids in the door even though they are such a doormat they're starting to sink into the floor. They must have hosted150 official visits this recruiting season. They started doing the monocolor lighting hype pic then everyone else in the PSAC followed suit. IUP with that amount of swagger, its performance, and history should be dominating everything. IUP should be every kid's first visit, not Cinderella giving the 11th hour offer. Every other kid in this region starts their college search with Pitt and Penn State. Every football recruit not already on the FBS train should be starting with IUP. In spite of everything they can brag about online and during visits, I think IUP football has become what men's basketball is at most other PSAC schools (#2).
    I don't even think it's a question that the football program takes a back seat to the men's basketball program. I've been saying that for years on here -- getting scoffed at in the earlier years but lately I think most are starting to realize it.

I'm not even talking on a success level (which Joe has had much more the past 15 years). Go to a game. They couldn't be more different. IUP football crowds are old, quiet and boring. The atmosphere at 80% of the games each year resembles a funeral home. Joe's games are totally different. It's a much younger demographic. They are way more lively, energetic, etc. The KCAC is the 'place to be' when Joe's home.

Facilities-wise, the two programs don't compare. Joe has D1 (upper half) mid-major facilities. Tort has glorified WPIAL Class 2A facilities. What they use to offset that is the history, money and Indiana itself -- which is very nice, lively D2 college town (especially compared to most). And, of course, you're going to win here.

To your point, IUP Football doesn't play up its image. The Catch 22 there is most inside the football program don't see the same 'image' that the rest of the PSAC sees -- the arrogance, flamboyant behavior, cockiness, etc. I'm not saying they need to market themselves as the 1980s Miami Hurricanes ... but it could certainly use some 'swag'.

Comment

• "I’m thinking more about PR, marketing, etc."

In many ways, marketing often requires grunt work, which too often IUP fails to do or even think about.
      It also is not a one and done proces. It has to be ongoing, consistent and aggressive.
      Having done this fo 50 years, it is really frustrating to see the many opportunites IUP has missed, often because they are not recognized or those in charge simply don't care. Getting out the door at 4PM or 5PM is more important.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don't even think it's a question that the football program takes a back seat to the men's basketball program. I've been saying that for years on here -- getting scoffed at in the earlier years but lately I think most are starting to realize it.

I'm not even talking on a success level (which Joe has had much more the past 15 years). Go to a game. They couldn't be more different. IUP football crowds are old, quiet and boring. The atmosphere at 80% of the games each year resembles a funeral home. Joe's games are totally different. It's a much younger demographic. They are way more lively, energetic, etc. The KCAC is the 'place to be' when Joe's home.

Facilities-wise, the two programs don't compare. Joe has D1 (upper half) mid-major facilities. Tort has glorified WPIAL Class 2A facilities. What they use to offset that is the history, money and Indiana itself -- which is very nice, lively D2 college town (especially compared to most). And, of course, you're going to win here.

To your point, IUP Football doesn't play up its image. The Catch 22 there is most inside the football program don't see the same 'image' that the rest of the PSAC sees -- the arrogance, flamboyant behavior, cockiness, etc. I'm not saying they need to market themselves as the 1980s Miami Hurricanes ... but it could certainly use some 'swag'.
        I feel this is an old story with all due respect. Hoops is fully funded 10 schollies and plays in a top 5 national facility top 2 in region facility. In addition the 2 main state schools Rock and Cal that have comparable football programs are sub par as far as hoops is concerned regarding funding. So the competition is basically Hurst and nobody else in the region except for West Liberty. Football on the other hand plays in a bottom 20 facility nation wide , is not even close to be fully funded and can’t even play road games out of conference in order to watch there dreaded budget. The success of the football team with everything being considered is actually more impressive than what the hoops team has done….Just sayin

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
          IUP really needs to up its game in terms of the “coolness” factor when it comes to bringing in top recruits and transfers. Seeing what some of these other schools at the DII and even DIII levels are doing shows how far behind IUP is. Like many of you other older folks on the board, I don’t like that you need to do that stuff to get a kid to play for you, but the reality is it matters to today’s athletes. Yes, an old school approach can work with some kids, but if you’re not blinging a kid out in a uni for a photo op, video clip, etc. these days, you’re behind. One thing IUP has is the KCAC experience, which is nice, but that doesn’t cover for the lacking facilities on the football side. So the question is, is it a budget matter or a leadership matter. Maybe a little of both? When I say leadership, I don’t mean the coaching staff by any means. Their job is to coach and sell the football program. I’m thinking more about PR, marketing, etc.

I remember when they had the “press conference” when they announced Kurt Cignetti as the new head coach and at the end they handed the guy a cheesy wrinkled tee shirt that said IUP Football on it. They would have been better off to have done nothing because it was embarrassing. Obviously that’s going back a few years but I’m not sure the way IUP athletics presents itself as a whole has gotten much better.
          It would be nice to know from Torts or the AD is there is going to be any sort of fund raising campaign to address The Cig. Harrisburg isn’t going to pay for it.

Comment

IUP really needs to up its game in terms of the “coolness” factor when it comes to bringing in top recruits and transfers. Seeing what some of these other schools at the DII and even DIII levels are doing shows how far behind IUP is. Like many of you other older folks on the board, I don’t like that you need to do that stuff to get a kid to play for you, but the reality is it matters to today’s athletes. Yes, an old school approach can work with some kids, but if you’re not blinging a kid out in a uni for a photo op, video clip, etc. these days, you’re behind. One thing IUP has is the KCAC experience, which is nice, but that doesn’t cover for the lacking facilities on the football side. So the question is, is it a budget matter or a leadership matter. Maybe a little of both? When I say leadership, I don’t mean the coaching staff by any means. Their job is to coach and sell the football program. I’m thinking more about PR, marketing, etc.

I remember when they had the “press conference” when they announced Kurt Cignetti as the new head coach and at the end they handed the guy a cheesy wrinkled tee shirt that said IUP Football on it. They would have been better off to have done nothing because it was embarrassing. Obviously that’s going back a few years but I’m not sure the way IUP athletics presents itself as a whole has gotten much better.
            Can’t dress up a pig, which is what there facilities are…It amazes me year after they recruit as well as they do….If they land this Hunter kid I will be amazed again…There 2 schools in competition have elite top 5 stadiums WT and Northern state…IUP administration should be embarrassed regarding Miller Stadium and anything to do with football other that the coaches and personal…I mean really embarrassed.

Comment

• Originally posted by GregD View Post
              "I’m thinking more about PR, marketing, etc."

In many ways, marketing often requires grunt work, which too often IUP fails to do or even think about.
              It also is not a one and done proces. It has to be ongoing, consistent and aggressive.
              Having done this fo 50 years, it is really frustrating to see the many opportunites IUP has missed, often because they are not recognized or those in charge simply don't care. Getting out the door at 4PM or 5PM is more important.
              Yeah, it’s a shame when good ole’ taking pride in what you do and putting in hard work gets in the way. It really is impressive how well the football program has done with getting players and the consistency of winning they’ve had given the resources they’re working with. Then there are the other sports at IUP. Talk about no love. If you didn’t have a Twitter account you’d barely know they existed.

Maybe our expectations aren’t realistic.

Comment

Yeah, it’s a shame when good ole’ taking pride in what you do and putting in hard work gets in the way. It really is impressive how well the football program has done with getting players and the consistency of winning they’ve had given the resources they’re working with. Then there are the other sports at IUP. Talk about no love. If you didn’t have a Twitter account you’d barely know they existed.

Maybe our expectations aren’t realistic.
                What exactly is the sports marketing department at IUP?

To my knowledge, it is the over-run SID and several student interns.

It should be a full-time position. It would pay for itself and then some.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It would be nice to know from Torts or the AD is there is going to be any sort of fund raising campaign to address The Cig. Harrisburg isn’t going to pay for it.
                  A project like that has to get buy-in from the AD who sells it several layers above. The fact that we've gone on so many years with the home side and larger complex untouched says that its not seen as a priority. Plus I would imagine everyone if asked would tell you they'd much rather have scholarship dollars than stadium dollars. Most D2 schools with upper level stadiums have football in their campus identity (like Grand Valley or West Texas A&M) or a scion megadonor (like Ashland or West Liberty).

Comment

A project like that has to get buy-in from the AD who sells it several layers above. The fact that we've gone on so many years with the home side and larger complex untouched says that its not seen as a priority. Plus I would imagine everyone if asked would tell you they'd much rather have scholarship dollars than stadium dollars. Most D2 schools with upper level stadiums have football in their campus identity (like Grand Valley or West Texas A&M) or a scion megadonor (like Ashland or West Liberty).
                    But has anyone asked the IUP AD? There has to be some facility plan for it's upkeep.

The Centre County Community College still has it's 65 year old erector set of a stadium intact with it's crappy restrooms and lousy concessions.

IUP doesn't need a tear down and rebuild.

They need to get rid of that ugly perimeter fence and build up the home side. Even if you don't tear down the home side stands...build up behind it with a new press box building and gut the underneath.

A nice head house entrance with a real ticket office would be nice too.

Comment

But has anyone asked the IUP AD? There has to be some facility plan for it's upkeep.

The Centre County Community College still has it's 65 year old erector set of a stadium intact with it's crappy restrooms and lousy concessions.

IUP doesn't need a tear down and rebuild.

They need to get rid of that ugly perimeter fence and build up the home side. Even if you don't tear down the home side stands...build up behind it with a new press box building and gut the underneath.

A nice head house entrance with a real ticket office would be nice too.
                      Todd is a pro. He's going to say he would take scholarship dollars over stadium dollars.

Regarding Penn State, read my post again. Football is part of Penn State's self identity. They embrace it from top to bottom. Beaver Stadium is the home of that identity. That is not the case for IUP. I think Driscoll loves IUP and is a great president for this present moment, but a guy who sees athletics (especially football) as a university brand he is not.

For a major redo of Miller, there would have to be a scion donor who cares that much about IUP football to go to the school and say they'll underwrite a good portion of it or no deal. That type of donor would be someone already known to them and who goes to enough games to notice Miller's shortcomings. I don't believe IUP has that type of person.

Comment

Todd is a pro. He's going to say he would take scholarship dollars over stadium dollars.

Regarding Penn State, read my post again. Football is part of Penn State's self identity. They embrace it from top to bottom. Beaver Stadium is the home of that identity. That is not the case for IUP. I think Driscoll loves IUP and is a great president for this present moment, but a guy who sees athletics (especially football) as a university brand he is not.

For a major redo of Miller, there would have to be a scion donor who cares that much about IUP football to go to the school and say they'll underwrite a good portion of it or no deal. That type of donor would be someone already known to them and who goes to enough games to notice Miller's shortcomings. I don't believe IUP has that type of person.
                        But Beaver Stadium is still mostly a dump. Ferris Bueller has an okay stadium and they are dominating. I don’t think you need every bell and whistle but The Cig could look 100 percent better with just a few changes.

Comment

But Beaver Stadium is still mostly a dump. Ferris Bueller has an okay stadium and they are dominating. I don’t think you need every bell and whistle but The Cig could look 100 percent better with just a few changes.
                          At some point doesn’t the university or state system have to say geez that stadium is really old, outdated, not handicap sufficient. I mean how old is the stadium???? I am sure they razed dorms that were not as old and built new ones. In addition the stadium is freaking ground zero on campus u would think the state or college would want a crown jewel there and not an eye soar in the middle of campus. I have been following since 1995 and only 2 things have changed visitors side due to insufficient handicap access and a new scoreboard. No change across the board regarding everything else. Tort should play the handicap coach card and say the coach needs Booth access. See how they handle that one. 🧐

Comment

• There are a couple D2 stadium palaces just as there are a couple D2 basketball palaces.

By and large, especially in the PSAC, all the football stadiums are mostly awful.

Nobody in the West has an advantage over the other in football facilities. They range from high school-ish fields (that we call stadiums), a kickball field (Gannon) and literally a high school stadium (SH). Mercyhurst may have the nicest and they stink.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

At some point doesn’t the university or state system have to say geez that stadium is really old, outdated, not handicap sufficient. I mean how old is the stadium???? I am sure they razed dorms that were not as old and built new ones. In addition the stadium is freaking ground zero on campus u would think the state or college would want a crown jewel there and not an eye soar in the middle of campus. I have been following since 1995 and only 2 things have changed visitors side due to insufficient handicap access and a new scoreboard. No change across the board regarding everything else. Tort should play the handicap coach card and say the coach needs Booth access. See how they handle that one. 🧐
                              It's 62 years old. I'm pretty sure it opened in 1961 replacing the previous field where the old Tri-Dorms used to be located along Grant Street.

The only problem is if Harrisburg builds IUP a new stadium...they have to build everyone one.

How The Godfather got the state to build Mon Valley U the AngeloDome when they put a gun to IUP's head to fundraise for the KCAC...is beyond me. I mean they now really are on the hook to renovate or replace every gym at each school.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                There are a couple D2 stadium palaces just as there are a couple D2 basketball palaces.

By and large, especially in the PSAC, all the football stadiums are mostly awful.

Nobody in the West has an advantage over the other in football facilities. They range from high school-ish fields (that we call stadiums), a kickball field (Gannon) and literally a high school stadium (SH). Mercyhurst may have the nicest and they stink.
                                West Florida is a top program...go look at their field. It's no longer the baseball stadium and it's not what you would have expected. They have to be planning to build a real one.

West Texastan A& M has the best stadium in D2. It's really impressive.
                                Grand Valley has a nice facility. It's piecemealed and the large stands behind one end zone is odd...but it's way better than anything in the Pee Sack.
                                Fake Pitt in Kansastan has a nice stadium too. It too has been added on over the year but it looks good.
                                Northwest Misery had the facility that IUP should try to emulate because it has a track unlike the three above. The place looks good and if we had the exact same stadium it would be the best in the Pee Sack.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X