Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I was a big Kangaroo's fan back in that era ... also The Gingerbread Man. Do you remember Murphy's Wings (on Philly St.)? I used to hang at the The Brown Hotel. It's still standing (barely).
    I took a prom date to the Brown in 1991 I believe. There were six or eight of us. That was a popular prom dinner spot back in the day. That was the ONLY time I was in the place. Now I walk by it and just shake my head.

Comment

Northern Illinois offered Karst Hunter tonight.
      Saw that. Also saw the comment below it basically saying to go somewhere you’ll be “the guy.” I took that to mean it wasn’t a guarantee at Northern Illinois, which I imagine it wouldn’t be. Hunter started posting cryptic quotes the other day as well. Looks like he’s agonizing over the decision. My advice to him would be make a decision and go all in. Don’t look back. You can date around forever and the danger is you never fall in love.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Saw that. Also saw the comment below it basically saying to go somewhere you’ll be “the guy.” I took that to mean it wasn’t a guarantee at Northern Illinois, which I imagine it wouldn’t be. Hunter started posting cryptic quotes the other day as well. Looks like he’s agonizing over the decision. My advice to him would be make a decision and go all in. Don’t look back. You can date around forever and the danger is you never fall in love.

Well, the transfer portal QB market triples in size in a couple more weeks (as Spring camps close).

It would be nice not to go through this yearly (at that position) once in a while. Taking these guys from across the country certainly poses the risk of them being here for only one season. I get in this portal era teams are really only guaranteed a single season but that particular position is a headache to replace yearly.

Comment

• IUP has offered Demonte Martin (6'5" WR from Robert Morris).

Comment

Good luck with that offer, a 3-9 team with 2 games in Sept at BC and at Nebraska. How does a MAC team with 85 scholarships offer a D2 guyđź§. Five quarterbacks on roster must be brutal. For them to even offer is a bad look to the staff if u ask me…just sayin

Comment

I took a prom date to the Brown in 1991 I believe. There were six or eight of us. That was a popular prom dinner spot back in the day. That was the ONLY time I was in the place. Now I walk by it and just shake my head.
              There used to be a Bonanza or a Rustler along Wayne Ave and Spring 85 the high school kids came in for their Prom Dinner. Yep they sure did. Hoss’s opened and they went out of business.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post
                Good luck with that offer, a 3-9 team with 2 games in Sept at BC and at Nebraska. How does a MAC team with 85 scholarships offer a D2 guyđź§. Five quarterbacks on roster must be brutal. For them to even offer is a bad look to the staff if u ask me…just sayin
                I hear ya. You wouldn’t think he’d do the math and want to go there but it’s another DI offer on the list. I still think he’s leaning IUP, but there seems to be just enough chum in the water to keep him feeding.

As a player in the portal before the end of spring ball, you’d think there would be some pressure to sign before spring ball ends. All of the sudden there are a lot more players available and you run the risk of watching the dance and never finding a partner on the floor. It stands to reason he’ll announce his decision within the next week or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

There used to be a Bonanza or a Rustler along Wayne Ave and Spring 85 the high school kids came in for their Prom Dinner. Yep they sure did. Hoss’s opened and they went out of business.
                  Bonanza. I remember eating there once or twice as a kid. Hoss’s has stood the test of time and still thrives.

Comment

Bonanza. I remember eating there once or twice as a kid. Hoss’s has stood the test of time and still thrives.
                    The only Hoss’s in the Philadelphia region was right here in Lionville where I live…it closed well before Covid and it was knocked down. It was there for almost a good 20 years..since the mid 90’s. It was probably just no longer feasible being so far out of Hoss’s main footprint.

I do wish Park N Eat would expand eastward. The closest one used to be off US 30 in Lancaster but it too closed years ago. I Am wondering when Sheetz finally crosses the one line they have avoided and open a store in the 5 county Philly area. Wawa is moving westward into Sheetz territory.

Comment

I hear ya. You wouldn’t think he’d do the math and want to go there but it’s another DI offer on the list. I still think he’s leaning IUP, but there seems to be just enough chum in the water to keep him feeding.

As a player in the portal before the end of spring ball, you’d think there would be some pressure to sign before spring ball ends. All of the sudden there are a lot more players available and you run the risk of watching the dance and never finding a partner on the floor. It stands to reason he’ll announce his decision within the next week or so.
                      The only thing in IUP’s favor is the history of higher level transfers coming in and starting…and doing well for the most part.

Although..…it would be nice to recruit a high school kid who plays 3 years at least.

Comment

The only thing in IUP’s favor is the history of higher level transfers coming in and starting…and doing well for the most part.

Although..…it would be nice to recruit a high school kid who plays 3 years at least.
                        They did sign two good high school QB prospects in this year's class. Obviously, one of them won't be here in two years.

These two incoming kids both have a shot to be legit D2 QBs. Of course, neither has gone to his senior prom yet, so the odds of seeing either of them on the field in the next 2-3 years isn't good.

The three QBs who left the program in the past year (just being realistic) were never going to play here unless there was drastic circumstances. If the younger two departures want to keep playing, they'll likely be in D3. Both came to IUP from extremely small high schools. I don't think either was actually on any scholarship money. The third, Logan Horn, I think just called it a career.

I get not everybody loves finding a new QB every year. But, it's worked out pretty well. I'd say Tort's 3 for 3 so far.

Comment

They did sign two good high school QB prospects in this year's class. Obviously, one of them won't be here in two years.

These two incoming kids both have a shot to be legit D2 QBs. Of course, neither has gone to his senior prom yet, so the odds of seeing either of them on the field in the next 2-3 years isn't good.

The three QBs who left the program in the past year (just being realistic) were never going to play here unless there was drastic circumstances. If the younger two departures want to keep playing, they'll likely be in D3. Both came to IUP from extremely small high schools. I don't think either was actually on any scholarship money. The third, Logan Horn, I think just called it a career.

I get not everybody loves finding a new QB every year. But, it's worked out pretty well. I'd say Tort's 3 for 3 so far.
                          I think IUP has a recent history of bringing in solid D2 quarterbacks but might have trouble developing them. I imagine this causes a circular cycle with transfer QBs. Bring in a transfer QB because the high school recruits aren't ready but then the high school recruits leave or don't develop because they're behind a transfer QB. Probably the only thing that breaks this cycle is one of the high school recruits finally making good strides and a lack of transfer QB options.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think IUP has a recent history of bringing in solid D2 quarterbacks but might have trouble developing them. I imagine this causes a circular cycle with transfer QBs. Bring in a transfer QB because the high school recruits aren't ready but then the high school recruits leave or don't develop because they're behind a transfer QB. Probably the only thing that breaks this cycle is one of the high school recruits finally making good strides and a lack of transfer QB options.
                            Once you go down this path, it is a hard cycle to break.

I'm actually surprised they signed two high school QBs of the quality they did this off-season. Surely their reputation of bringing in hired mercenaries at the position works against them when recruiting high school QBs. Of course, it could also be a sign Tort is tired of searching the waiver wire every offseason.

The downside is we've never got to see these past three imports have a 'Year 2' in the system/program. The first two didn't even go through Spring Ball at IUP. Tort lucked out, though. Maxwell, Woodberry and Sexton all had very good seasons. I'm sure whomever they find to be the QB this Fall will also have a good year. Hell, he better with all the weapons and OL he's going to have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I’d rTher have another Brian Eyerman type recruit than a transfer but the environment is different than it was in 1999.

Comment

I’d rTher have another Brian Eyerman type recruit than a transfer but the environment is different than it was in 1999.
                                Correct. Totally different. Back then if you went to a strong program it was pretty much understood you probably weren't going to play for a couple years. Granted, Eyerman did as a true freshman out of necessity after IUP's first two QBs went down early in that season.

Now, you worry about them transferring if they don't play fast enough. Uncle Ben is positive they should be at Georgia and not IUP. He saw little Johnny pick apart the secondary at Marion Center last Fall. You also worry about them playing so well they transfer up.

D2 football hasn't been crushed -- yet -- by the kids going up. D2 basketball is seeing all its stars leave early.

If you ever want a reality check pay attention on Senior Day. See how many of those guys started -- and ended -- their careers at the same place. That percentage shrinks every year. That's the funny thing on high school signing day. Everybody gets real excited when Tort signs 22 or 23 players. I just hope 6-7 of them will be here in 4-5 years.

These are very interesting times.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X