Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I get what you're saying. In my experience the division VP supervises mid-level department managers and reports upward to the president & trustees. Yes, some set strategy and tone (my current one excels at this) but often the specific strategy and execution is at the department director level. You can have the best VP but if you have crap directors managing the operational teams, it won't work.
    If these schools were run by business people instead of academics they'd cut a lot more than these five from yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If these schools were run by business people instead of academics they'd cut a lot more than these five from yesterday.
      But they cut the business aspects, not the academics.

Comment

Lean and Six Sigma don't work in industries where the product is directly delivered by rank and file expertise. I think you can identify cost savings in replacing with lower salaried less experienced workers and inefficiencies on the back end, where all of these changes were made at IUP. If you cut on the front lines of your constituents (in this case students, prospective students, alumni & community) that usually is met with a corresponding drop in revenue by students leaving, students not choosing IUP, or decreased alumni & community support. Its similar in heath care. You don't notice the cuts in marketing or billing but you sure as heck notice the cuts in service providers. Toward the end of my time at Bobby Mo, they were using a Lean model of annual percentage-based personnel cuts, you'd spend the next year getting used to the new normal with a heavier workload, then the same time next year it repeats itself again. It cut the soul out of the campus and they've had a directly related reduction in enrollment, revenue, and alumni support. But hey, those corporate exec trustees can now enjoy those epic basketball games against Illinois State and UW-Green Bay in the comfort of the club level in that basketball arena!

Comment

• Here is the IG article. It's pretty comprehensive.

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...s-source=login

Comment

• IUP is financially now approaching the stage where the PennWest schools were right before Covid. PASSHE internal reporting suggests that IUP will be completely out of financial reserves by August. These cuts will save approximately $2 million a year from salary & benefits. Driscoll has now entered the most difficult stage of his presidency: maintaining face while trying to keep things afloat.

The facilities strategic plan is being updated and slashed significantly. A new football stadium has been eliminated from the plans. There is a suggestion of a donor funded indoor facility at what looks like behind the home stands of Miller. The design looks like an indoor track & turf style facility but some info suggests a new pool.

TLDR: IUP is broke and unless they figure out how to reverse a decade of enrollment losses they're going to have to start cutting into the bone.

Comment

IUP is financially now approaching the stage where the PennWest schools were right before Covid. PASSHE internal reporting suggests that IUP will be completely out of financial reserves by August. These cuts will save approximately $2 million a year from salary & benefits. Driscoll has now entered the most difficult stage of his presidency: maintaining face while trying to keep things afloat.

The facilities strategic plan is being updated and slashed significantly. A new football stadium has been eliminated from the plans. There is a suggestion of a donor funded indoor facility at what looks like behind the home stands of Miller. The design looks like an indoor track & turf style facility but some info suggests a new pool.

TLDR: IUP is broke and unless they figure out how to reverse a decade of enrollment losses they're going to have to start cutting into the bone.
              Thanks for the update. I'm going to assume that it is credible. Also, I hope other posters understand why this brief conversation is coming up on the IUP Football thread as it is important stuff.

I don't think anybody would be blindly optimistic. Driscoll can cite positive applications numbers. Hopefully, that trend will bear itself out. Also, reading between the lines (making assumptions) it seems possible the resources they do have are moving to the development of the medical school. As I understand it, a Dean for that has to be in place to move forward and he/she will not be cheap. I believe that if Driscoll himself has a vision for IUP is transforming into a STEAM-focused place. The Business school will rebound and thrive, also, IMO. That is a legitimate direction for IUP. The bottom line is so much of the future for IUP (and all PASSHE schools) depends on what decisions are made in Harrisburg. The entire state system is going to continue to change. I don't know if you can say continue to evolve.

Comment

IUP is financially now approaching the stage where the PennWest schools were right before Covid. PASSHE internal reporting suggests that IUP will be completely out of financial reserves by August. These cuts will save approximately $2 million a year from salary & benefits. Driscoll has now entered the most difficult stage of his presidency: maintaining face while trying to keep things afloat.

Give IUP the money Penn state wants for their foosball stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Thanks for the update. I'm going to assume that it is credible. Also, I hope other posters understand why this brief conversation is coming up on the IUP Football thread as it is important stuff.

I don't think anybody would be blindly optimistic. Driscoll can cite positive applications numbers. Hopefully, that trend will bear itself out. Also, reading between the lines (making assumptions) it seems possible the resources they do have are moving to the development of the medical school. As I understand it, a Dean for that has to be in place to move forward and he/she will not be cheap. I believe that if Driscoll himself has a vision for IUP is transforming into a STEAM-focused place. The Business school will rebound and thrive, also, IMO. That is a legitimate direction for IUP. The bottom line is so much of the future for IUP (and all PASSHE schools) depends on what decisions are made in Harrisburg. The entire state system is going to continue to change. I don't know if you can say continue to evolve.
                  I hate to say it, but could this be the precursor to folding IUP into Penn West? I've said it before...I think the integration was the 'dipping the big toe into the water' to streamline more campuses entering the fray. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by RockPride View Post

I hate to say it, but could this be the precursor to folding IUP into Penn West? I've said it before...I think the integration was the 'dipping the big toe into the water' to streamline more campuses entering the fray. Thoughts?
                    IUP and West Chester have immunity from mergers & closures. IUP had it as a condition for joining PASSHE then West Chester added it during the merger extravaganza since they're the only real successful school right now.

Comment

They're raising money for the med school but nothing monumental like the Kopchick gift. The reporting they're sending the state, though, says their savings is almost dry. Fortunately for IUP that means they can just keep taking from West Chester to pay the bills. They just lose a lot more financial autonomy. There are more yet to be announced major changes down the pike coming from Sutton Hall. I'm assuming more consolidations, program eliminations, and layoffs. To make this all more fun, almost every union contract for PASSHE expires June 30. Only the police have settled so far. Still to come are APSCUF (2 contracts for professors & coaches), AFSME (clerical & maintenance), and SCUPA (student facing professional staff).

I do think a Pennsylvania Western University hubbed out of Indiana with specialized node campuses could work. I just don't think collective IUP world would go for that nor do I think the system & state governance is that creative.

Comment

IUP and West Chester have immunity from mergers & closures. IUP had it as a condition for joining PASSHE then West Chester added it during the merger extravaganza since they're the only real successful school right now.
                        True but that could change. This conversation in 5 years will be interesting.

Comment

True but that could change. This conversation in 5 years will be interesting.
                          Yeah I don't like the idea of it, not that these schools didn't deserve it, but it should never be off the table. Eventually some creative solutions have to prevail. They can't cut their way to success. Selling my car might eliminate the monthly payment expense on my personal budget but the long term effect is that it downgrades my credit score and makes it more difficult to get to work.

Comment

They may be able to get a med school Dean from the current faculty. IUP had a connection to the IRMC during covid that help build some of the relationships needed for the med school. The real advantage of a med school are all the premeds hoping to get preferential admissions to the med school, much like Rock does with their PT program. Most of the premeds won't qualify, but they fill up the science and health related programs. I retired recently so I don't have too much insider information anymore. The new contract will probably go after the temporary faculty, who currently received much more than typical for similar institutions. that will help a bit. Enrollment seems to be picking up a little, but boy are the covid HS kids behind, and socially fragile.

Comment

• IUP has offered an OL from Northwest Missouri State.

He has a lot of offers so we'll see.

Comment

IUP has offered an OL from Northwest Missouri State.

He has a lot of offers so we'll see.
                                When do we expect these guys to start committing?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X