Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

There are a lot of variables to play out and even us posters with our advanced vision can't project where it all ends up IUP isn't even in their building yet.

Not to get personal but I will reiterate a couple of points. You always accentuate the "education school" heritage of the PASSHE. However, none of the IUP faithful went to an "education school." Don't forget that IUP was a comprehensive university from the mid-1960's. You weren't there so you don't have an appreciation for that. As for BigIndians party school, low academics image I think that is much truer in Indiana County than outside of Indiana County.
    IUP is definitely viewed as a party school with low academic standards outside of Indiana County. Some of that is deflection and projection by other schools, but a lot of people view IUP with a little more hesitation than others. When I worked at RMU administrators would always joke about when students get kicked out, they transfer to IUP. In reality I saw more get in at D2 and D3 privates than state schools after they were kicked out. There are also a lot of low information families who somehow believe that academic quality is tied to athletics classification, so IUP being D2 must be a second-rate education.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

There are also a lot of low information families who somehow believe that academic quality is tied to athletics classification, so IUP being D2 must be a second-rate education.
      True. IUP should have gone D1 when they had the chance. Maybe Tony Atwater was on to something with his front porch bit.

Comment

Ship had a benefactor for their engineering program, plus it's been in the works for many years. The SRU situation is more mysterious. Are they trying to be all things to all people?
        The benefactor at Ship came along relatively late in the process. It certainly helped. There are some heavy industries in the area (Volvo, Manitowac Crane, etc.) that offer some good interning opportunities. The funding stagnation from Harrisburg is currently putting a dent in plans to renovate the Franklin Science Center at Ship. They are going to proceed using the funds available, but currently don't have the money to do as much as they wanted.

Comment

There are a lot of variables to play out and even us posters with our advanced vision can't project where it all ends up IUP isn't even in their building yet.

Not to get personal but I will reiterate a couple of points. You always accentuate the "education school" heritage of the PASSHE. However, none of the IUP faithful went to an "education school." Don't forget that IUP was a comprehensive university from the mid-1960's. You weren't there so you don't have an appreciation for that. As for BigIndians party school, low academics image I think that is much truer in Indiana County than outside of Indiana County.
          We'll agree to disagree on that one. IUP has a terrible reputation in Western Pennsylvania. The past is mostly to blame, but the school has never been able to shake that stigma. The reputation also makes IUP an easy target.

As for Indiana (and Indiana County), IUP has shrunk so much it's pretty much its own little world. The locals and campus folk don't mingle much these days. I live in Indiana but only go near campus for football and basketball games (and you sure as hell don't see many students at those). On the positive, they've had a couple-year stretch here of no student deaths, shootings or other newsworthy embarrassing events.

Perhaps the change to more respected academic programs will help in the coming decade. In the 'diploma factory' era of the 80s and 90s, IUP had more worthless majors here than one could count -- and the academic standards of a high school summer school program.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

We'll agree to disagree on that one. IUP has a terrible reputation in Western Pennsylvania. The past is mostly to blame, but the school has never been able to shake that stigma. The reputation also makes IUP an easy target.

As for Indiana (and Indiana County), IUP has shrunk so much it's pretty much its own little world. The locals and campus folk don't mingle much these days. I live in Indiana but only go near campus for football and basketball games (and you sure as hell don't see many students at those). On the positive, they've had a couple-year stretch here of no student deaths, shootings or other newsworthy embarrassing events.

Perhaps the change to more respected academic programs will help in the coming decade. In the 'diploma factory' era of the 80s and 90s, IUP had more worthless majors here than one could count -- and the academic standards of a high school summer school program.
            Silly Yinzers can’t appreciate the gems amongst them…

IUP doesn’t have a bad reputation where the high schools still have kids in this state. Look east IUP admissions …look east. Fill the campus up with Iggles fans…

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Silly Yinzers can’t appreciate the gems amongst them…

IUP doesn’t have a bad reputation where the high schools still have kids in this state. Look east IUP admissions …look east. Fill the campus up with Iggles fans…
              We don't need to be picky. Fill the campus up with anybody who can provide a check that will clear. LOL. Fix this crisis and then get more selective.

Comment

True. IUP should have gone D1 when they had the chance. Maybe Tony Atwater was on to something with his front porch bit.
                Atwater one of worst of all time. Total clown.

Comment

Well, there was a change at Miller this Spring. That big row of pine (type) trees behind the visitors' bleachers was all removed.

Now ... that big, ugly chain-link fence we all hate is even more visible.
                  Don’t care about stadium talk and building talk, I have heard another transfer big fish has landed at Miller Stadium…can’t wait for September Football….just sayin

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post
                    Atwater one of worst of all time. Total clown.
                    IUP hasn’t had a good President since Welty left…

Comment

We don't need to be picky. Fill the campus up with anybody who can provide a check that will clear. LOL. Fix this crisis and then get more selective.
                      10K for room and board is the biggest problem. That’s was three years of tuition in the 80’s.

Comment

Don’t care about stadium talk and building talk, I have heard another transfer big fish has landed at Miller Stadium…can’t wait for September Football….just sayin
                        That's the rumor.

If true, this is an exciting one.

Comment

10K for room and board is the biggest problem. That’s was three years of tuition in the 80’s.
                          Reducing tuitionis one thing but they should go to a more market-based room and board system. At least for board, isn't anything better than having an empty "suite" and getting zero revenue?

Comment

IUP hasn’t had a good President since Welty left…
                            I'm pretty sure after Welty that's when IUP lost control of the President hiring process and it started going through Harrisburg.

Comment

Me, too. Just waiting for the names and the commitments.

Comment

Reducing tuitionis one thing but they should go to a more market-based room and board system. At least for board, isn't anything better than having an empty "suite" and getting zero revenue?
                                The room and board is 50 percent of the cost per year. You live in the dorm for eight months over two semesters. It’s 1250 a month. I’d want my own room for that cost. Having a room Nate in a dorm room sucked…

How much does a one bedroom apartment rent for in Indiana?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X