Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I still don't know how "rowdy" some of the townspeople or generic fans get when they do show up to create the atmosphere you're searching for at Miller Stadium. IUP basketball is the "in team" at that time of year. Indiana and the surrounding area is a strong basketball community already, and the success of IUP historically has done a lot to grow that fanbase and create actual fans of the team and program. People "root" for IUP football, but I'm not sure people are "invested" at the same level they get for IUP basketball. The big challenge is that nobody wakes up on Saturday morning with their headliner being IUP hosting Mercyhurst in the 4:00 PM Hall of Fame game. I think there's way too many fans of other larger successful programs in the area (i.e. Pitt and Penn State) to ever generate the type of interest for the program as a whole. Major programs for basketball in the area don't get the same pull in that Indiana community, I would argue. Lot of Penn Staters up there, and despite them having a good year every so often, they just don't have an appetite for Penn State basketball as a fanbase. Pitt has a good basketball following, but they have been down for some time now.

Could they do a lot to improve the gameday atmosphere there? As we've said for years ad nauseum, yes. But I just don't know how rowdy the casuals who show up get. They aren't IUP football fans first.

The goal should be to first increase the attendance, whether in truth or visually based on how things look within the stadium, and then hope to organically generate a better atmosphere due to that. Like you mentioned, the band being moved does something to condense the fans and make it look better visually. My quick list of things to improve some of these items:

1. Ensure that 90% of attendance is "free attendance." Figure out what part of the stadium is "reserved seating." If it's the top 10 rows of Section C (the view is far better up high anyways), then make that more of an experience for season ticket holders. Rip out those bleachers and install stadium chairback seats. People pay for season tickets or single-game reserved tickets in those areas. Control and police the hell out of that section to make sure nobody wanders in and takes a seat that didn't pay for it. The remainder of the stadium (mostly) is general admission and free seating at that point.
    -Note: You lose nothing in terms of allowing people to walk in for free. 1) It happens a lot already anyways. 2) The likelihood that you get a family of 4 to show up likely increases with free admission. It allows you to bank on somebody purchasing food at the concession stands, or purchasing some merch for the kids. Chances are likely you make more money and grow your fanbase doing that.

2. Ensure that one specific location of the stadium is "students only." You want to make things "rowdy" or create more of an "atmosphere"? Stop mixing senior citizens and adults with young children with drunk college students hoping to have a good time. Recalling back to my days at IUP, that was the absolute worst. Most students don't walk in the door until 5-10 minutes before kickoff. At that point, what normally is considered the "student section" gets infiltrated with those just there to watch the game, not necessarily there to get "rowdy." Whether that's all of section C, lower parts of the stadium along the sidelines on the home side, etc. The students need a dedicated section/area by themselves.

3. Align more with local events to create large attendance groups. I think that IUP has done well with this recently, but youth football teams, scout groups, other local youth community organizations and groups. Make coming to the football game an outing. Your chances of creating an "atmosphere" increase by simply having more bodies in seats. And if they have a good time, they are likely to return again (especially with free GA tickets).
    Not necessarily specific to IUP but most people at PSAC football games are season ticket holders or getting in for free as a student, employee, or donor. Most season ticket holders are hyper engaged locals, hyper engaged football alumni, and parents. Mostly parents. A lot of the adults are there to support someone on the field (player or performer) or grew a connection to IUP football in the days before you had a zillion options for watching sports or really any form of entertainment.

IUP at least does a few things right. They have a designated tailgate lot, even though they charge more than Penn State by $5/spot. (Penn State lots are $20 if paid in advance - IUP goes down to $50/spot.) They manufactured a rivalry game when the opportunity presented itself. They leaned way into their BSN Nike deal far beyond other schools with similar deals. While the gameday is lacking, they do a great job with social. The only PSAC school I've noticed doing better is Slip. They've also been able to advocate to keep a much larger and much better paid football staff during a time of downsizing elsewhere on campus.

Unless you're experiencing a Northwest Missouri State or Grand Valley State combination of winning and great gameday experience, you're never going to convince rural Western Pennsylvania to care about football teams that aren't top 25. When Pitt isn't on pace to win 8 or 9 games, nobody goes. The average Western PA schmuck thinks the NCAA divisions are like European soccer relegation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Not necessarily specific to IUP but most people at PSAC football games are season ticket holders or getting in for free as a student, employee, or donor. Most season ticket holders are hyper engaged locals, hyper engaged football alumni, and parents. Mostly parents. A lot of the adults are there to support someone on the field (player or performer) or grew a connection to IUP football in the days before you had a zillion options for watching sports or really any form of entertainment.

IUP at least does a few things right. They have a designated tailgate lot, even though they charge more than Penn State by $5/spot. (Penn State lots are $20 if paid in advance - IUP goes down to $50/spot.) They manufactured a rivalry game when the opportunity presented itself. They leaned way into their BSN Nike deal far beyond other schools with similar deals. While the gameday is lacking, they do a great job with social. The only PSAC school I've noticed doing better is Slip. They've also been able to advocate to keep a much larger and much better paid football staff during a time of downsizing elsewhere on campus.

Unless you're experiencing a Northwest Missouri State or Grand Valley State combination of winning and great gameday experience, you're never going to convince rural Western Pennsylvania to care about football teams that aren't top 25. When Pitt isn't on pace to win 8 or 9 games, nobody goes. The average Western PA schmuck thinks the NCAA divisions are like European soccer relegation.
      I don't know about the Penn State tailgate spots, but you usually have to donate a small fortune to the Nittany Lion Club just to have a shot at season tickets, and the average fan who shows up spends $20 to park in a cow pasture a good distance from the stadium. My brother has spent thousands on tickets there over the years.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Right.

And, that's the section directly behind the team. That's where they need the best, loudest fans.

Looking up and seeing fans in their IUP CO-OP gear (sorry Tort) only gets the team so pumped.

Teams feed off crowds. People have wondered forever why Tort's teams have struggled or looked disinterested inside Miller. How excited to do most people get at a funeral home?

The most intense I've ever seen a Tort team was up at SRU two years ago. They got heckled on the bus, walking off it, the whole warm-up, F IUP chants ... everything. When IUP took the field right before kick-off, that was one hell of an amped up team. They then clobbered SRU in front of 9,000 -- 8,300 of which were long gone mid-3rd quarter. Here's the other part: IUP travels pretty well up there. Traveling fans are the best, most-engaged fans. Sit them all together (as happens on the road) and they feed off each other.

Duke basketball could sell its courtside seats for incredible sums of money. Yet, they don't. The students get courtside. Cameron Indoor is probably the toughest venue to play inside in all of basketball. The court is surrounded by so much energy. Now, close your eyes and imagine the home side of Miller Stadium.

I get 'Section C' donates a ton of money to the program. I'm not saying kick them out ... just move them all up. Give the students (and general admission) the first 10 rows of the home side. I guarantee you'd see an instant atmosphere improvement. It would initially cause a Holy War but they'd get over it.
        It's hard to get the students out to anything at most places these days, but it does make a difference. For some reason (perhaps somebody getting organized), there was a greater student turnout than usual at Ship's quarterfinal basketball game with Lock Haven. The noise level was noticeably higher than usual, and the team appeared to take a cue from it, playing one of its stronger games of the season. Of course we all have problems with the games over student breaks when nobody is on campus. Around Christmas, even the casual fan is probably busy with other activities and not likely to attend. I think the idea of a PSAC team playing some sort of charity game or other event at an off-campus location, such as a large area HS gym, wouldn't be a bad idea. Obviously, arrangements would have to be made to bring this about. It would be a novel event for the community involved and might cause more buzz about PSAC basketball, which most people in my area don't have a clue about. Even if you got only a few hundred to attend, it would probably be more than most PSAC schools draw over the holidays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I don't know about the Penn State tailgate spots, but you usually have to donate a small fortune to the Nittany Lion Club just to have a shot at season tickets, and the average fan who shows up spends $20 to park in a cow pasture a good distance from the stadium. My brother has spent thousands on tickets there over the years.
          To get the better tickets and tailgate lots, yes. I have a friend who has had 3 seats for decades but he pays the $20 because he doesn't tailgate. Lettermen and Nittany Lion Club gets you presale dates. The latter may be how my friend got his tickets - his family has a car dealership in Mount Joy.

Comment

Well, one thing is for certain: Tort had some money to spend this off-season. So, kudos to the program supporters. All these high-profile transfers he's signed haven't come cheap.

Always remember while the 'check writers' don't take the field, the winning starts there. IUP is very fortunate to have a very loyal, giving core group. A whole lot of (real) money (not discounted blue-light special privates coin) has been spent on this upcoming team.
            Maybe after the Shepherd debacle they finally had enough of 18 years of watching our lunch be taken from us.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Maybe after the Shepherd debacle they finally had enough of 18 years of watching our lunch be taken from us.
              With the Concord OL addition I think they are pretty set up front. The rotation should be very strong. They do get pretty young pretty quickly behind that group, however. Don't forget they also have the stud from UVA-Wise arriving this summer in addition to the Syracuse project.

WR is loaded. They have three legit, big D2 WR1's on the roster. TE is big and deep. I can't wait to see all the fun they have with the Stetson hybrid TE/FB. That dude is a physical monster. RB 'seems' OK but we'll see. QB is set.

The infamous all-freshmen secondary from two years ago are all experienced Junior's now.

The DL from TJ will make his LONG-AWAITED debut (finally).

Lot of hype.

Tyrone Fowler also returns on the DL after missing the whole second half last year. He is a scary dude.

Comment

With the Concord OL addition I think they are pretty set up front. The rotation should be very strong. They do get pretty young pretty quickly behind that group, however. Don't forget they also have the stud from UVA-Wise arriving this summer in addition to the Syracuse project.

WR is loaded. They have three legit, big D2 WR1's on the roster. TE is big and deep. I can't wait to see all the fun they have with the Stetson hybrid TE/FB. That dude is a physical monster. RB 'seems' OK but we'll see. QB is set.

The infamous all-freshmen secondary from two years ago are all experienced Junior's now.

Lot of hype.

Tyrone Fowler also returns on the DL after missing the whole second half last year. He is a scary dude.
                Is the FB/TE on board?

Comment

Lot of hype.

I hope it’s enough to take down Slimey, Mon Valley U and the Swifties.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Is the FB/TE on board?
                    Yes, he was one of the first transfers to sign.

I think he's going to be kind of a super utility player. He's really big and powerful, but his 6'3" frame likely scared off a lot of bigger programs coming out of high school as most D1s want TEs in the 6'5" or taller range. He's going to be a real load at this level to bring down.

Comment

I hope it’s enough to take down Slimey, Mon Valley U and the Swifties.
                      I'm not sure who the Swifties are, but IUP, Cal, SRU and Shepherd all have new starting QBs. Granted, some (like IUP's) have a ton of D2 experience so while new to the program, they certainly are new to college football.

The Coal Bowl is never easy. It's in Miller this year. Cal did lose a lot. But, they reload quickly. They threw in the towel after the IUP loss last year. That was a pretty good team when it was still engaged.

The trip to SRU (night game) will not be easy.

But, that's looking too far ahead. IUP has three tough ones to start the year (granted, all at home). Ashland will be far from a pushover. East Stroudsburg should be much better this year and Shippensburg is capable.

Comment

I'm not sure who the Swifties are, but IUP, Cal, SRU and Shepherd all have new starting QBs. Granted, some (like IUP's) have a ton of D2 experience so while new to the program, they certainly are new to college football.

The Coal Bowl is never easy. It's in Miller this year. Cal did lose a lot. But, they reload quickly. They threw in the towel after the IUP loss last year. That was a pretty good team when it was still engaged.

But, that's looking too far ahead. IUP has three tough ones to start the year (granted, all at home). Ashland will be far from a pushover. East Stroudsburg should be much better this year and Shippensburg is capable.
                        PSAC East is going to be wide open from the looks of it. West Chester could have a resurgence but lost some really big time guys including Taylor the LB PSAC DPOY, Kutztown lost a lot but always strong and well coached it seems. Maybe ESU has a breakthrough. Shepherd is breaking in a lot of new faces, but should field a very veteran strong D. I think it's safe to say that IUP is a significant preseason favorite at this point for the league title again.

Comment

Shepherd are the Swifties, because like Taylor Swift towards every man who says hello to her...they are in perpetual revenge mode (usually against IUP for whatever made up reason)

Comment

Shepherd are the Swifties, because like Taylor Swift towards every man who says hello to her...they are in perpetual revenge mode (usually against IUP for whatever made up reason)
                            GTFOH LOL

Comment

That one might need some work.. Kind of a stretch. I mean, when you have t explain it ...

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That one might need some work.. Kind of a stretch. I mean, when you have t explain it ...
                                Especially when it comes from a guy who is always talking about a perpetual vendetta against IUP.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X