X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLIAC Fan
    replied
    Question IUP fans

you’ve got a rock solid football program, a state of the art Bball facility, why is your football stadium such a dump?

attended the Ashland game, very nice campus, nice town, D1 type of Bball arena, and your football stadium was not nice at all.

is there a future plan to make your stadium match your football programs success?

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Again. Holiday weekend. People were other places.

The Shepherd fans can look down at us all they want, the game isn’t being moved to their stadium.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

SRU has historically drawn the best in the PSAC. Its part of the campus culture - a weekend football game is THE thing to do if you do something on campus. A lot of IUP's fanbase are older locals who have attended for 40-50 years. IUP has one tailgate lot. SRU has four.

Students up and down just don't care about PSAC sports. "Gameday" is merely viewed as another day at work by those who could improve atmosphere & experience.
    That's all true but students weren't really the full story. As I said, we were down almost 4,000 and sure as hell we don't get 4,000 students at a game.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I don't get it. It's not like you guys sucked for a decade and are wooing people back into the seats. Been a pretty strong product for 30+ years, you'd think there would be a much better following than that. Slippery Rock may have brought more fans to Shepherdstown than you guys had at a home game, excluding those from Ashland.
    SRU has historically drawn the best in the PSAC. Its part of the campus culture - a weekend football game is THE thing to do if you do something on campus. A lot of IUP's fanbase are older locals who have attended for 40-50 years. IUP has one tailgate lot. SRU has four.

Students up and down just don't care about PSAC sports. "Gameday" is merely viewed as another day at work by those who could improve atmosphere & experience.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Apparently a lot of people. Trust me. I was there. That announced gate may have actually been beefed up a bit.
    I don't get it. It's not like you guys sucked for a decade and are wooing people back into the seats. Been a pretty strong product for 30+ years, you'd think there would be a much better following than that. Slippery Rock may have brought more fans to Shepherdstown than you guys had at a home game, excluding those from Ashland.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I mean who didn’t know there was a game? You have be either deaf and blind or dead.
    Apparently a lot of people. Trust me. I was there. That announced gate may have actually been beefed up a bit.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    IUP Home Gates this year (in order of home date):
    Mercyhurst 5,292
    Slippery Rock 5,429
    Seton Hill 4,105
    Clarion 5,927
    Shepherd 3,878
    Ashland 1,295

Regular season average (which includes the State Game): 4,926

I'm perhaps low-balling my guess, but of the 1,295 at last Saturday's Wake, at least 400 were from Ashland. So, IUP had about 900 fans at a Round 2 playoff game. Granted, the holiday/empty campus excuse is legit. But, that game drew 3,631 below this season's average. I can absolutely promise you IUP isn't getting 3,631 students at any football game.

So, what happened? It wasn't the weather. It was fairly nice for late November. It wasn't the product on the field -- it was the Sweet 16 after all with two really good teams.

My guess is a lot of people didn't even know the game was happening. There was next to no marketing. It wasn't Band Day or Hall of Fame Day or Homecoming or any of the other get-people-in-the-seats promotions. The tailgate lot was near dead. There was no buzz in Indiana last week. The band and cheerleaders not being there is so irritating I don't even want to talk about it.

I sure hope IUP fans redeem themselves this weekend. That was embarrassing. We make fun of the 'senior citizen' culture inside Miller Stadium. But, they made up about 95% of IUP fans in attendance 48 hours ago.

I mean who didn’t know there was a game? You have be either deaf and blind or dead.

It was a holiday weekend and people had other things to do.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP Home Gates this year (in order of home date):
    Mercyhurst 5,292
    Slippery Rock 5,429
    Seton Hill 4,105
    Clarion 5,927
    Shepherd 3,878
    Ashland 1,295

Regular season average (which includes the State Game): 4,926

I'm perhaps low-balling my guess, but of the 1,295 at last Saturday's Wake, at least 400 were from Ashland. So, IUP had about 900 fans at a Round 2 playoff game. Granted, the holiday/empty campus excuse is legit. But, that game drew 3,631 below this season's average. I can absolutely promise you IUP isn't getting 3,631 students at any football game.

So, what happened? It wasn't the weather. It was fairly nice for late November. It wasn't the product on the field -- it was the Sweet 16 after all with two really good teams.

My guess is a lot of people didn't even know the game was happening. There was next to no marketing. It wasn't Band Day or Hall of Fame Day or Homecoming or any of the other get-people-in-the-seats promotions. The tailgate lot was near dead. There was no buzz in Indiana last week. The band and cheerleaders not being there is so irritating I don't even want to talk about it. Keep in mind, the men's basketball game across the parking lot nearly had a bigger crowd than Tort.

I sure hope IUP fans redeem themselves this weekend. That was embarrassing. We make fun of the 'senior citizen' culture inside Miller Stadium. But, they made up about 95% of IUP fans in attendance 48 hours ago.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    If you were at the game, how did Brown and Stewart look?

Was Brown limping around? Sexton and Brown didn't connect on any long passes. The webcast doesn't show the receiver running a route so it was hard to tell.

I did see Stewart jumping around on the sidelines after an IUP score. That's different than playing in the game, making cuts, taking hits, etc.

Play a doctor on the forum. What's your prognosis for those guys?
    Brown wasn’t moving as well and he was also a bit rusty. He had a couple passes in his hands that he normally comes down with. There was about a 20 yard throw on the IUP sideline that I would say he dropped, which you never see. He did make the big grab for the second touchdown. I can’t imagine him not playing much better on Saturday.

It’s hard to say about Stewart. I was trying to watch his movement throughout the game and I didn’t see much. He looks healthy, but walking on the sideline is a far cry from toting the rock in a playoff game. I will be surprised if he’s dressed this weekend. I hope I’m wrong.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Doubtful? But he was Questionable for Ashland. He has been downgraded.
    He was never questionable in reality (my assumption). That was Tort playing games with Ashland and not showing his hand. Common coach speak tactics on a coaches' show.

From those I've talked to who are pretty close to things ... it doesn't sound good for this week. But ... we'll see.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Duane was 60%. They obviously took him off punt return and his pitch count seemed limited.

Stewart is doubtful for this week. If they get beyond this week ... perhaps we see him.

My opinion.

Duane may be better this week with another week of recovery time. I'd sure assume he'll have light practices.
    Doubtful? But he was Questionable for Ashland. He has been downgraded.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Was Brown limping around? Sexton and Brown didn't connect on any long passes. The webcast doesn't show the receiver running a route so it was hard to tell.

I did see Stewart jumping around on the sidelines after an IUP score. That's different than playing in the game, making cuts, taking hits, etc.

Duane was 60%. They obviously took him off punt return and his pitch count seemed limited.

Stewart is doubtful for this week. If they get beyond this week ... perhaps we see him.

My opinion.

Duane may be better this week with another week of recovery time. I'd sure assume he'll have light practices.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

You are joking, right? Please tell me the music selection was not Earth Angel...
    No lol but it wasn't far off. Pregame was the normal play list of rap but the in-game was horrendous.

They played some oldies mixed in with the Jurassic Park theme song (about 15 times).

Without the band that's all you heard during breaks so it really stood out in an awful way. It was just an awful atmosphere. The home side didn't make a peep for 98% of the game.

As a football fan the only cool thing was you could hear everything. And, when you can hear Campolo all day ... it's quite entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• Ram Tough
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

You are joking, right? Please tell me the music selection was not Earth Angel...
    For comedic reasons, I hope it was.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X