Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: PIAA football moving to Cumberland Valley

In no way did I see this coming, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. Hersheypark Stadium is miserable in the winter, CV's putting in new turf, and I can't recall a recent state final which would push CV's capacity.

That, and Cumberland Valley never does anything half-assed.

They're also getting the state soccer, field hockey and girl's volleyball finals.

https://cumberlink.com/sports/high-s...9e49a6265.html
    Last edited by jrshooter; 02-23-2022, 04:43 PM.

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
    In no way did I see this coming, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. Hersheypark Stadium is miserable in the winter, CV's putting in new turf, and I can't recall a recent state final which would push CV's capacity.

That, and Cumberland Valley never does anything half-assed.

They're also getting the state soccer, field hockey and girl's volleyball finals.

https://cumberlink.com/sports/high-s...9e49a6265.html
    Probably makes sense. Some of those small school playoff crowds get lost in Hersheypark Stadium. Also pretty easy to get to CV off the turnpike.

Comment

Cumberland Valley HS used to host the PSAC swimming championships before they were moved to York about 8-10 years ago. So it's not like they're not used to hosting championship events.

That said, I'm finding it odd that a PIAA-member high school would be allowed to host state championship events presented by the PIAA.
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Comment

My thing with CV is will all the promised upgrades be completed by the season? They're promising a new field, press box, locker rooms and media center. The small schools crowds are small but the 5A/6A crowds can be anywhere from 3-7k depending on matchups. I would have preferred half the games at a western site like Heinz Field or Adamson Stadium (CAL) & other half at Eastern site (Villanova, Franklin Field come to mind).

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
            My thing with CV is will all the promised upgrades be completed by the season? They're promising a new field, press box, locker rooms and media center. The small schools crowds are small but the 5A/6A crowds can be anywhere from 3-7k depending on matchups. I would have preferred half the games at a western site like Heinz Field or Adamson Stadium (CAL) & other half at Eastern site (Villanova, Franklin Field come to mind).
            I think you'd run into the old complaint that those locations are too close to participating schools. Plus Heinz and Franklin are both natural turf - we're down to the smallest schools with the least resources still playing on grass.

Comment

Cal has a nice stadium but the intangibles for traveling teams are terrible -- hardly any restaurants, closest hotels are probably 10 miles away, etc.

Comment

I'd offer Christy Mathewson Memorial Stadium at Bucknell as a possible location. It has seating similar to to Hersheypark Stadium but is an old-fashioned horseshoe shape so the stands aren't as tall. Its also centrally located in the state and there are several hotels not too far away.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                  I'd offer Christy Mathewson Memorial Stadium at Bucknell as a possible location. It has seating similar to to Hersheypark Stadium but is an old-fashioned horseshoe shape so the stands aren't as tall. Its also centrally located in the state and there are several hotels not too far away.
                  I was told that Bucknell press box was too small and not enough parking as well as not having enough hotels in close proximity to the stadium as the primary reason they weren't selected.

Comment

I was told that Bucknell press box was too small and not enough parking as well as not having enough hotels in close proximity to the stadium as the primary reason they weren't selected.
                    There's a half dozen hotels along the main road, that's weird. Maybe the PIAA leaders need a luxury resort. Parking I could understand. Bucknell has a lot of small lots. I think people generally like the idea of "better than high school" venues in a central, neutral location. Clearly Hersheypark Stadium ticks those items but clearly it needs upgrades.

Comment

If Hershey was smart they'd renovate their stadium, locker rooms and then come get the games back in 2027 as with improved locker rooms/field/press box they'd be able to accommodate all 12 teams in a 2 day period with noon, 3pm and 6pm kickoffs Friday & Saturday. 1A and 2A would be the Friday and Saturday noon games, then 3A & 4A games being the 3pm kickoffs and the 5/6A games being the night games for both nights.

Comment

Rent has to be a major consideration too

Comment

I've actually thought of this too. A dome would be great. Weather would never be a factor in the games and the fans would be more comfortable. People that wouldn't normally come to a game might take in more than one. I've always liked the games being in Hershey. It's one of the most recognized brands anywhere and a great way to promote PA high school football in "Chocolate Town USA"
                          GO HUSKIES!

Comment

Comment

Assure that the crowd will merit a five-figure capacity, and I might agree.

Myself, I had enough of a crowd of 5,000 looking like 500 in a cavernous wind tunnel.

Heinz? Franklin Field? Not only the same problem, there's a reason the state finals are played in central Pennsylvania. You have the best chance for a neutral locale. And the Harrisburg area hasn't exactly dominated in recent years, anyway, so it's seldom one of their teams.
                              Last edited by jrshooter; 02-26-2022, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X