Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I started at Bloom in the fall of 83 I had the same kind of reaction when I heard there were so many HS games on the radio on Friday nights. At least 6 or 7 I'd say. Very different than outside Philly for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I remember the weekend "High School Rundown" being a staple on WPVI. They would go through like 30 games in10 minutes, showing the highlights from game to game. They don't have that anymore? It was very fast, a lot of action because it's Action News. And WPVI invented Action News.

Comment

Originally posted by nodnol View Post

When I started at Bloom in the fall of 83 I had the same kind of reaction when I heard there were so many HS games on the radio on Friday nights. At least 6 or 7 I'd say. Very different than outside Philly for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post

I've never attended a game at Christy Mathewson Stadium, but based on comments I've read by fellow fans of Patriot League teams on the Any Given Saturday message board, my impression is that stadium is on the somewhat rundown side. Bucknell has put a lot of its resources into its basketball program (and Sojka Pavilion, opened in the mid-2000s, is a very nice facility; I've attended one game there, albeit in late 2005).

College stadiums that WOULD be good include Goodman Stadium (Lehigh) and Fisher Stadium (Lafayette), both of which are nice facilities, but both are 1) way too far east to work logistically for state championship games and 2) in Goodman Stadium's case, it lacks lights and has a grass field. With Fisher Stadium, 3) parking is fairly limited (there is a garage, but many people, including me, park on nearby streets), though mind you that hasn't proven to be a problem for the annual Easton/Phillipsburg Thanksgiving Day high school game played there every year (and to my knowledge draws a sellout or near sellout crowd every year).
          I haven't been up to Bucknell in a while, so it might very well be that they've let it go some. I just remember that it was a good-sized facility, dating from the days when Bucknell, like several Eastern schools then, was actually something of a football standout.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I haven't been up to Bucknell in a while, so it might very well be that they've let it go some. I just remember that it was a good-sized facility, dating from the days when Bucknell, like several Eastern schools then, was actually something of a football standout.
            Even if it is centrally located (at least compared to Philadelphia or Pittsburgh), Lewisburg might as well be in Upstate New York to the typical urban Pennsylvanian.
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

The only time I've been to Bucknell's stadium was when IUP played Bucknell many, many years ago. I liked it. That stadium sort of reeks of history. However, I don't think it would be a good selection for the state championships. After all of this discussion about other possibilities, I think CV is probably as good as any other venue.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Even if it is centrally located (at least compared to Philadelphia or Pittsburgh), Lewisburg might as well be in Upstate New York to the typical urban Pennsylvanian.
                I dunno. A few people seem to find their way to State College for football weekends, and it's certainly about as far out in the sticks as Lewisburg.

Comment

I dunno. A few people seem to find their way to State College for football weekends, and it's certainly about as far out in the sticks as Lewisburg.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X