Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I always wonder what the sight-unseen athletes who jump on that D1 offer think when they arrive up in Loretto for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I always wonder what the sight-unseen athletes who jump on that D1 offer think when they arrive up in Loretto for the first time.

Comment

LOL ... yeah, something along those lines.

A lot of their students actually come to Indiana most weekends to hang out.

Comment

Originally posted by playersdad View Post
            It was mentioned 'hurst could possibly consider dropping fb to move up to DI. They recently dropped a lot of money into their athletic fields so its very doubtful if that would happen. I could see the move but as a former coach, it is a long process to move divisions and there are several specific pieces that must be in place (or at least there was a while ago) such as enrollment size, facility size, sports offered, etc. It would be a financial investment and then finding a conference to let them in, then they'd only be provisional for a couple years at that. Hurst FB travels overnight even if the game is a couple hrs away.
            Couple of points...The long process of moving divisions doesn't get quicker by waiting...The athletic fields are used by multiple sports so even if Hurst shuttered football, the fields would not go unused.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Nebraska Omaha dropped football to go D1. Mercyhurst could do the same. They currently have 13 men's and 13 women's programs. They're already incurring the travel costs for men's and women's ice hockey, wrestling, men's and women's water polo.
              They also dropped wrestling within 24 hours of winning their third consecutive national championship. The AD at the time sold out football and wrestling to move into the Summit League and invest in hockey. He also rebranded the teams as "Omaha". A lot of critics accused him of using the move to position himself for the AD job at Nebraska-Lincoln, where he played football. Coincidentally or not, that is the job he took in 2021.

Hockey has done well since the move as has baseball & softball. But I don't know if I'd call it a model for success. I think it would really hurt recruiting for sports beyond hockey. The PSAC is popular with some because players play against a lot of the same guys they played with or against in high school plus parents can attend nearly all games. Moving into the NEC would flood Mercyhurst with a lot of kids who are there for D1 athlete status only. Check out the player revolving door at the D1 in name only school in Moon Township, PA to see how that works in the long run.
              Last edited by Fightingscot82; 04-01-2022, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

They also dropped wrestling within 24 hours of winning their third consecutive national championship. The AD at the time sold out football and wrestling to move into the Summit League and invest in hockey. He also rebranded the teams as "Omaha". A lot of critics accused him of using the move to position himself for the AD job at Nebraska-Lincoln, where he played football. Coincidentally or not, that is the job he took in 2021.

Hockey has done well since the move as has baseball & softball. But I don't know if I'd call it a model for success. I think it would really hurt recruiting for sports beyond hockey. The PSAC is popular with some because players play against a lot of the same guys they played with or against in high school plus parents can attend nearly all games. Moving into the NEC would flood Mercyhurst with a lot of kids who are there for D1 athlete status only. Check out the player revolving door at the D1 in name only school in Moon Township, PA to see how that works in the long run.
                First you said that Mercyhurst moving to D1 would be cost prohibitive due to travel costs. Now it's because D1 student-athletes are transitory, as if D2 players are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

First you said that Mercyhurst moving to D1 would be cost prohibitive due to travel costs. Now it's because D1 student-athletes are transitory, as if D2 players are not.
                  Both. They'd be overwhelmed with trips to Connecticut and New Jersey. Those aren't quick overnight trips down I-79. But they'd also struggle competitively because they wouldn't be able to keep athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Both. They'd be overwhelmed with trips to Connecticut and New Jersey. Those aren't quick overnight trips down I-79. But they'd also struggle competitively because they wouldn't be able to keep athletes.
                    What kid doesn't dream of playing 'D1' basketball in a 700-seat arena with 127 fans in attendance?

Comment

Maybe St. Francis (PA) should merge with Indiana (PA).

Comment

Comment

Maybe the goal is to be the St. Bonaventure of Erie?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                            Maybe the goal is to be the St. Bonaventure of Erie?
                            Don't rule out the Catholic Battle of Erie. The Lake Show would love to one-up its neighbors from down on Peach Street.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                              Bryant abruptly left the NEC yesterday to join the Big South for football and American East for all other sports. Maybe this Mercyhurst link is legit. Unless New Haven jumps ahead with their feasibility study and makes the leap.
                              I would love to know the logic behind Bryant leaving a relatively geographically compact conference for a league with a larger footprint.
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I would love to know the logic behind Bryant leaving a relatively geographically compact conference for a league with a larger footprint.
                                Not all schools are driven by a desire for "geographic compactness."

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X