Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.bryantbulldogs.com/gener...20220329qsgsm4

Comment

I was just looking at the conference memberships of these conferences and the Northeast Conference. Overall, it's a smart move by Bryant. America East is a good fit, IMO, and it is certainly more prestigious than the Northeast Conference. In football, the Big South is more competitive but, I would say, the Northeast Conference is actually a better basketball conference than America East.

Comment

Is Presbyterian in the Big South at not a member of the football conference -

https://bigsouthsports.com/standings.aspx?path=football

Comment

Originally posted by WVIAC-F-EVER View Post
          Is Presbyterian in the Big South at not a member of the football conference -

https://bigsouthsports.com/standings.aspx?path=football
          Presbyterian eliminated football scholarships and joined the Pioneer Football League. They went 0-8 in PFL, their 2 OOC wins were against St. Andrew's and Fort Lauderdale.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I would love to know the logic behind Bryant leaving a relatively geographically compact conference for a league with a larger footprint.

Comment

Stonehill just jumped from the NE10 to the NEC. I think that the swelling of membership from the also-ran D1 conferences will only result in a consolidation of power like we've seen in FBS. The NEC is anything but prestigious but its D1 and if you're a smaller tuition-dependent private school its a good place to be. Bryant leaving is strange but good luck to them. Quinnipiac left because a) they have money, and b) they needed to increase the profile of their hockey program. They've got that sweet double arena. Monmouth and RMU may come crawling back eventually, especially RMU. They're in over their heads and are so low on cash they're selling their presidents residence.

I'm also surprised by Stonehill. If any of the NE10 schools jumped Bentley made the most sense. They're a school whose academics are vastly underrated by the general public and they're got a decent endowment (~$360MM).

I agree about Division II - I think its going to largely be rural, small endowment privates and regional state schools. If you do a quick Google search, the D1 rumors are peaking in Allendale, Michigan. DIII conferences tend to be full of gatekeeping privates only wanting perceived peers.
              Last edited by Fightingscot82; 04-06-2022, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Stonehill just jumped from the NE10 to the NEC. I think that the swelling of membership from the also-ran D1 conferences will only result in a consolidation of power like we've seen in FBS. The NEC is anything but prestigious but its D1 and if you're a smaller tuition-dependent private school its a good place to be. Bryant leaving is strange but good luck to them. Quinnipiac left because a) they have money, and b) they needed to increase the profile of their hockey program. They've got that sweet double arena. Monmouth and RMU may come crawling back eventually, especially RMU. They're in over their heads and are so low on cash they're selling their presidents residence.

I'm also surprised by Stonehill. If any of the NE10 schools jumped Bentley made the most sense. They're a school whose academics are vastly underrated by the general public and they're got a decent endowment (~$360MM).

I agree about Division II - I think its going to largely be rural, small endowment privates and regional state schools. If you do a quick Google search, the D1 rumors are peaking in Allendale, Michigan. DIII conferences tend to be full of gatekeeping privates only wanting perceived peers.
                Bentley is definitely the school that makes the most sense and for sure has the resources. Division I hockey already, beautiful campus, near Boston. Not sure why they haven't made the move yet, but my guess is they might think they're too good for the NEC and want an immediate invite to a higher level league. The Patriot League would be the one, but they don't have the endowment or prestige of those schools (with maybe the exception of Loyola) and the PL appears stable from the outside, so I don't know why they would need to add Bentley.

Agreed though, the future of this level and this league is cloudy. I'm very curious what the PSAC will look like by 2030, especially at the lesser funded schools- not IUP, West Chester, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

Bentley is definitely the school that makes the most sense and for sure has the resources. Division I hockey already, beautiful campus, near Boston. Not sure why they haven't made the move yet, but my guess is they might think they're too good for the NEC and want an immediate invite to a higher level league. The Patriot League would be the one, but they don't have the endowment or prestige of those schools (with maybe the exception of Loyola) and the PL appears stable from the outside, so I don't know why they would need to add Bentley.

Agreed though, the future of this level and this league is cloudy. I'm very curious what the PSAC will look like by 2030, especially at the lesser funded schools- not IUP, West Chester, etc.
                  Hate to say it, but consolidation would certainly be better for the quality of the sport on the message board. Been talked about ad nauseum on here, but less schools will help filter some of the good talent at say Millersville/LH/Clarion, etc to the others and help create some stronger programs. Strictly a selfish view on football.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Hate to say it, but consolidation would certainly be better for the quality of the sport on the message board. Been talked about ad nauseum on here, but less schools will help filter some of the good talent at say Millersville/LH/Clarion, etc to the others and help create some stronger programs. Strictly a selfish view on football.
                    Administration is consolidating, not athletics.

I also wonder how long the PASSHE schools can keep up the current scholarship funding. Nobody since Cal has made a huge push in scholarship totals and each increase in the cost to attend only eats away at the artificial ceiling most schools have. For IUP, I'm curious about how much funding is dependent on the aging local demographic. If Indiana proper doesn't maintain population or its magnet employers, how will that affect their ability to be a basketball powerhouse?

Comment

I also wonder how long the PASSHE schools can keep up the current scholarship funding. Nobody since Cal has made a huge push in scholarship totals and each increase in the cost to attend only eats away at the artificial ceiling most schools have. For IUP, I'm curious about how much funding is dependent on the aging local demographic. If Indiana proper doesn't maintain population or its magnet employers, how will that affect their ability to be a basketball powerhouse?
                      As long as we are speculating, I look at it in terms of short term vs. long term.

I don't think there will be major changes in the landscape for the next 3-5 years. After that, I think consolidation/elimination of programs, etc. are inevitable. That will be coming.

Not a very positive topic for the D2 PSAC Board.

Comment

I'd worry more about football. IUP basketball (men's) has a core group of heavy donors between 45 and 60 years old. So, that group is relatively young.

Football tends to be the older following of the two.

Overall, Joe has a much younger demographic than Tort.

Comment

Comment

The basketball programs probably could move up (in theory). The infrastructure is in place. No other sport at IUP is even close.

IUP is a good D2 school. Good rivalries, etc. Moving up to some dreg league just to say you're D1 ... no thanks. Never going to be the Yankees in D1 (more like the Pirates). Stay here in the bus leagues and be a big fish in the small pond.

Granted, PA has way too many D2 schools all fighting over the same food bowl.

Comment

The previous school leadership was proudly D2 and rejected all questions about it. This current administration has been taking steps that look like its more likely - the instability of the GLIAC probably makes it inevitable. I guess they're ready to walk away from their rivalries with Saginaw and Ferris for the excitement of Illinois State or Austin Peay.

Comment

The previous school leadership was proudly D2 and rejected all questions about it. This current administration has been taking steps that look like its more likely - the instability of the GLIAC probably makes it inevitable. I guess they're ready to walk away from their rivalries with Saginaw and Ferris for the excitement of Illinois State or Austin Peay.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X