Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    At least they're trying.

Question: Does being part of Commonwealth U. change anything in a situation like this?
    Unsure. Depends on where athletics falls in the Commonwealth U org chart and whose senior leader is overseeing that division.

Looking at data from 18-19 (latest I have for the full conference), Lock Haven dedicates the lowest % of their athletic scholarships to football at less than 13%. In that year, IUP used 39% of their athletic scholarship money on football, which was the most. Bloomsburg is also part of Commonwealth U and that year were #5 with 28.24%

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Unsure. Depends on where athletics falls in the Commonwealth U org chart and whose senior leader is overseeing that division.

Looking at data from 18-19 (latest I have for the full conference), Lock Haven dedicates the lowest % of their athletic scholarships to football at less than 13%. In that year, IUP used 39% of their athletic scholarship money on football, which was the most. Bloomsburg is also part of Commonwealth U and that year were #5 with 28.24%
      Is it that IUP uses it on football or is it that 39% of the money given is directed to football at the donors' direction?

If Johnny Oak Grove cuts a check for $50k specifically to football ... football has to get the money, correct?

I'm actually surprised it's not higher than 39%.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Is it that IUP uses it on football or is it that 39% of the money given is directed to football at the donors' direction?

If Johnny Oak Grove cuts a check for $50k specifically to football ... football has to get the money, correct?

I'm actually surprised it's not higher than 39%.
        They have to have a pretty good reason why they don't honor his wishes. Plus he'd have a case to get his money back.

The money reported is both of what you ask: money restricted by the donor for football use only and general athletic fundraising to supplement.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
          That's a lot of kids to bring in. This has the ring of a last-gasp effort to get relevant about it. I'd say this guy has to have some success to avoid Lock Haven being relegated to the slot formerly occupied by Cheyney in the Eastern Division. I wish him well as it does Ship and no one else in the division any good to play walkover opponents year after year. Ship currently has beaten Lock Haven 17 times in a row, and most of those games haven't been close. And it's not as if Ship has been great every one of those seasons. We had a very mediocre team in the last pre-Covid season and still put up 65 points on them. If the PSAC is every going to be competitive beyond our own region again (a tall order given current trends), the conference has to get tougher top to bottom.
          IUP has defeated Lock Haven 34 straight times since the last time they beat IUP in 1981.

Comment

I wonder why Lock Haven is dead last. The spirit of Ms. Taylor marches on!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I wonder why Lock Haven is dead last. The spirit of Ms. Taylor marches on!!!!
              D1 Wrestling limit is 9.9 schollies. They are not at the max but I think they are close. D1 Field Hockey has a limit of 12. I have no idea how many they offer but there are some there. Then you have all of the other sports. My guess is that the 2 D1 sports equal the same 40% as IUP has for football. It's just a different emphasis.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

D1 Wrestling limit is 9.9 schollies. They are not at the max but I think they are close. D1 Field Hockey has a limit of 12. I have no idea how many they offer but there are some there. Then you have all of the other sports. My guess is that the 2 D1 sports equal the same 40% as IUP has for football. It's just a different emphasis.
                You're not far off.

In 2020-21...

Men
                Wrestling: 5.54
                Football: 4.42
                Baseball: 1.95
                Basketball: 1.42
                Soccer: 1.41
                XC/T&F: 0.98
                Men's Total: 15.72

Women
                Field Hockey: 6.15
                Softball: 2.46
                XC/T&F: 2.1
                Basketball: 1.94
                Lacrosse: 1.41
                Swimming: 1.25
                Soccer: 0.87
                Volleyball: 0.77
                Tennis: 0.49
                Women's Total: 17.44

Wrestling + Field Hockey = 11.69 (35%)
                http://www.indianagazette.com
                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

IUP has defeated Lock Haven 34 straight times since the last time they beat IUP in 1981.
                  So in other words we've both beaten Lock Haven a lot of times in a row and you're reinforcing my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

You're not far off.

In 2020-21...

Men
                    Wrestling: 5.54
                    Football: 4.42
                    Baseball: 1.95
                    Basketball: 1.42
                    Soccer: 1.41
                    XC/T&F: 0.98
                    Men's Total: 15.72

Women
                    Field Hockey: 6.15
                    Softball: 2.46
                    XC/T&F: 2.1
                    Basketball: 1.94
                    Lacrosse: 1.41
                    Swimming: 1.25
                    Soccer: 0.87
                    Volleyball: 0.77
                    Tennis: 0.49
                    Women's Total: 17.44

Wrestling + Field Hockey = 11.69 (35%)
                    Interesting. Gets me to wondering how many equivalencies Ship has been giving out for field hockey the last few years since that team has been dominant. This also explains why Lock Haven has been getting clobbered in football if these figures are accurate.

Comment

Interesting. Gets me to wondering how many equivalencies Ship has been giving out for field hockey the last few years since that team has been dominant. This also explains why Lock Haven has been getting clobbered in football if these figures are accurate.
                      It's mind-blowing. Many schools are giving more basketball equivalencies than LH is giving football equivalencies.

But, end of the day, those 58 they just signed are 58 more students paying admission to LH. Seems that's all that really matters. Fire/hire a new coach every couple years and re-kindle some optimism.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's mind-blowing. Many schools are giving more basketball equivalencies than LH is giving football equivalencies.

But, end of the day, those 58 they just signed are 58 more students paying admission to LH. Seems that's all that really matters. Fire/hire a new coach every couple years and re-kindle some optimism.
                        I don't know if Matt has the current figures for other PSAC schools, but I'd be interested in seeing them. I did see a 2018 list of scholarship allocations, and although Ship wasn't on the bottom we weren't particularly high on the list. Given what was allocated for football, I actually found it somewhat surprising we've been as competitive as we have in football. I also know Ship has consistently sponsored 20 sports, which I think is close to the max of most PSAC schools. For some reason we've never had golf, which would seem to be a relatively inexpensive sport to sponsor (and one you can actually play well into adulthood).

Comment

I don't know if Matt has the current figures for other PSAC schools, but I'd be interested in seeing them. I did see a 2018 list of scholarship allocations, and although Ship wasn't on the bottom we weren't particularly high on the list. Given what was allocated for football, I actually found it somewhat surprising we've been as competitive as we have in football. I also know Ship has consistently sponsored 20 sports, which I think is close to the max of most PSAC schools. For some reason we've never had golf, which would seem to be a relatively inexpensive sport to sponsor (and one you can actually play well into adulthood).
                          What also matters is what other money is being used to pay for school. You don't need a lot of football money if you're successful at recruiting kids who get Pell & PHEAA grants, academic scholarships, etc. It also doesn't include non-athletic aid such as housing & meal fee waivers since theoretically those are available to all students, not just athletes. SRU for example gives most out of state athletes in-state tuition. That's a little bit of money too.

Comment

What also matters is what other money is being used to pay for school. You don't need a lot of football money if you're successful at recruiting kids who get Pell & PHEAA grants, academic scholarships, etc. It also doesn't include non-athletic aid such as housing & meal fee waivers since theoretically those are available to all students, not just athletes. SRU for example gives most out of state athletes in-state tuition. That's a little bit of money too.
                            Ship has reduced-rate tuitions for some out-of-state areas. I think this will be more and more of a fallback for PASSHE schools as state funding stagnates. The legislators don't always like it, but if they're not going to fund PASSHE as a state system they shouldn't be surprised when the schools go to extra lengths to bring in more revenue. That said, I'm pretty certain Ship's funding for football, and probably basketball, is below the level of some of its PSAC competitors.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X