Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It's an all-sports trophy. Your school is as free to "game" the system by becoming better in more than two sports. If it costs "pennies' to field a track team, what's stopping you?

And good lord, what's with this "foosball" stuff?

As far as holding the Dixon Trophy above someone's head, I don't ever recall coming on this site crowing about the Dixon Trophy. You're the one who seems to get worked up about it.
    “My Mama says that alligators are ornery because they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.”

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Not true. In D2, the top ten in the Leerfield Directors Cup (national version of Dixon Trophy) about half have great football programs:
      1. Colorado Mines
      2. Wingate
      3. Grand Valley State
      4. West Texas A&M
      5. West Florida
      6. Charleston
      7. Ferris State
      8. CSU Pueblo
      9. Franklin Pierce
      10. Colorado Colorado Springs

In D3, Mount Union just lost in the national basketball championship.
      Thry must calculate better than the Home Office does. How does a school with three conference titles which is tied for the most be 7th? So you can ge the second Orr third in every sport and get a trophy!! That’s why it’s a participation trophy. IUP and West Chester should be tied for first in the Dixon Standings. Actually IUP should be first since we won the two biggest sports.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Thry must calculate better than the Home Office does. How does a school with three conference titles which is tied for the most be 7th? So you can ge the second Orr third in every sport and get a trophy!! That’s why it’s a participation trophy. IUP and West Chester should be tied for first in the Dixon Standings. Actually IUP should be first since we won the two biggest sports.
        Give it up, Nation.

Nobody agrees with you because you don't have a legitimate point and you are absurdly wrong.

At the same time, I think when you perpetuate this absurd thread you are insulting all of the student-athletes and coaches from all of the other "minor" sports.

I find this insulting and my hope is others don't associate this absurd conversation with an "IUP point of view."

Comment

You won’t agree agree because your school has gamed the system by winning various track titles with the same athletes to win the trophy. Yet your foosball program hasn’t won squat but you get to hold it over our heads despite only ever beating us once in four decades.

The Dixon Trophy is a mediocre trophy that awards mediocrity. It costs 7 figures to field foosball. It Pennies to field a track team.

Every school above IUP except West Chester has less conference titles so far but gets rewarded. First place Gannon has one.

BTW you are on a site that was started for foosball and got expanded for basketball. The two most important sports. Who is the champion of both in the Pee Sack?

IUP!
          Yea this act is getting old man. Nobody gives a crap about the Dixon Trophy. Do you have an alarm set every year for a reminder on when to bring this up again?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Give it up, Nation.

Nobody agrees with you because you don't have a legitimate point and you are absurdly wrong.

At the same time, I think when you perpetuate this absurd thread you are insulting all of the student-athletes and coaches from all of the other "minor" sports.

I find this insulting and my hope is others don't associate this absurd conversation with an "IUP point of view."
            I find it insulting IUP gets disrespected year after year by the people who run this conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Yea this act is getting old man. Nobody gives a crap about the Dixon Trophy. Do you have an alarm set every year for a reminder on when to bring this up again?
              Nobody asked any of you to read or respond. I have a right to post that this trophy is bull****.

Comment

Nobody asked any of you to read or respond. I have a right to post that this trophy is bull****.
                To be Summa cum laude, a student needs to have impressive grades in all the courses. I never liked those students.

Comment

Pee Sack Titles Since Fall 1995 since they started awarded the Participation Trophy:

1. Shippensburg - 86 (64 of them in the four track categories..8 Dixon Trophies...Gee wonder why someone is on me about this being bogus)
                  2. Walk On U - 80 (43 in mens and womens swimming ...5 Dixon Trophies
                  3. Edinboro - 65 (Zero Dixon Trophies}
                  4. IUP - 54 (Zero Dixon Trophies)
                  5. Bloomsburg - 51 ( 3 Dixon Trophies)
                  6. Mon Valley U - 46 (2 Dixon Trophies)
                  7. Lock Haven - 44 (3 Dixon Trophies...last winning season in foosball was 43 years ago)
                  8. Slimey Pebble - 36 (1 Dixon Trophy)
                  9. Kutztown - 33 (1 Dixon Trophy)
                  10. East Dennyburg - 26 (0 Dixon Trophies)
                  11. Millersville - 22 (1 Dixon Trophy - hasn't been competitive in foosball in 20 years)
                  12. Clarion - 17 (0 Dixon Trophies)
                  13. Mercyhurst - 16 (0 Dixon Trophies)
                  14. LIT AF - 15 (1 Dixon Trophy)
                  15. Pitt-Johnstown - 9 (0 Dixon Trophies)
                  16. Mansfield - 3 (0 Dixon Trophies)
                  17. Seton Hill - 3 ( 0 Dixon Trophies)
                  18. Cheyney - 0
                  19. Shepherd - 0

This bogus trophy has been given out 25 times and two schools won over half of them by dominating one sport for both genders and getting handed this trophy. Ship get it by winning the four track categories and Walk On U go theirs by crushing it in swimming.

In the Top 3 sports, Foosball and both Basketball programs Ship won 9 (6 of them in ladies basketball) and WCU won 4 all on foosball but I will give them credit for their nationally prominent baseball program.

So...I have proven that the calculation for this is bogus. You only have to dominate one or two non revenue sports...mostly track and field and a few that both genders play and the Home Office In Lock Haven will declare you the bestest sports program and give the finger to IUP.

IUP should have 7 Dixons based on coming in second in 1998, 1999, 2003, 2011, 2013, 2017, 2018. This trophy would be legit had that happened instead of coming in second to Track U and Walk On U each time.

3rd - 3x
                  4th - 3x
                  5th - 3x
                  6th - 5x
                  7th - 1x
                  8th - 1x
                  9th - 1 x
                  10th - 1x

I rest my case. This trophy is bogus and rewards programs that dominate one sport in multiple categories. Neither of the top two have been dominant in foosball and neither really in basketball for the most part.

...and poor Edinboro...multiple titles over six sports in this time and NOTHING!!!! They should have won the initial trophy.
                  Last edited by IUPNation; 03-20-2023, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

“My Mama says that alligators are ornery because they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.”
                    Foosball…it’s the Devil!!

I know it’s Foolsbsll by everyone assumes she says foosball. I like spelling it that way

Comment

Yawn... the tri-annual Nation rant about the Dixon Trophy. Complete empty calories. The only fan giving it this much attention is you.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                        Yawn... the tri-annual Nation rant about the Dixon Trophy. Complete empty calories. The only fan giving it this much attention is you.
                        Then you all must be in agreement it’s bogus.

Comment

Then you all must be in agreement it’s bogus.
                          I agree, it's a stupid trophy. Shepherd puts all their eggs in football, they'll never have a well rounded athletic program unless the funding goes through the roof, which in the 25 years or so I've followed hasn't happened. I don't think they care. Those are just enrollment booster sports.

Comment

I agree, it's a stupid trophy. Shepherd puts all their eggs in football, they'll never have a well rounded athletic program unless the funding goes through the roof, which in the 25 years or so I've followed hasn't happened. I don't think they care. Those are just enrollment booster sports.
                            If you don't care, you don't care. Fine. But then we don't need to hear constant complaints from schools that get beat in "enrollment booster sports." In the bigger scheme of things, most Division II sports, including football and basketball, are enrollment boosters. I don't see a ton of Division II athletes making a living playing professional sports after graduation. And while football and basketball might bring in some additional revenue, it's hardly enough to keep most programs awash with cash.

Comment

Most schools in D2 do the same thing. Go look at MIAA school athletic websites. They offer far less sports than most Pee Sack schools. The put their money in foosball.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

If you don't care, you don't care. Fine. But then we don't need to hear constant complaints from schools that get beat in "enrollment booster sports." In the bigger scheme of things, most Division II sports, including football and basketball, are enrollment boosters. I don't see a ton of Division II athletes making a living playing professional sports after graduation. And while football and basketball might bring in some additional revenue, it's hardly enough to keep most programs awash with cash.
                                Then don’t act like this trophy has been awarded to schools with “balanced” sports programs. You win all four track titles, do well enough in a few more sports and still suck at foosball and you get a prize!

The track categories should be merged into one average ranking. I can’t imaging the indoor and outdoor rosters differ.

Also they should double the award points for finishing first in foosball, basketball and baseball on the men’s side and Volleyball, basketball and softball in the women’s side. They are the biggest sports.

Or give out separate trophies for men and women. The IUP men are killing it every year but our ladies aren’t matching them. With most schools offering more sports for the ladies it’s weighted on who has the best women’s programs. Again not fair.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X