Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

If you don't care, you don't care. Fine. But then we don't need to hear constant complaints from schools that get beat in "enrollment booster sports." In the bigger scheme of things, most Division II sports, including football and basketball, are enrollment boosters. I don't see a ton of Division II athletes making a living playing professional sports after graduation. And while football and basketball might bring in some additional revenue, it's hardly enough to keep most programs awash with cash.
    No argument here. Nation isn't wrong, and I too am tired of hearing this conversation year after year being brought up. Just a silly trophy.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Then you all must be in agreement it’s bogus.
      I don't think it's bogus, it's just not that important. It gives recognition to good Olympic sports for a couple days a year, and that's it. Who cares if the schools that put all their eggs in the football/basketball baskets don't do well in the Dixon Trophy? Nobody, really. Except you, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

I don't think it's bogus, it's just not that important. It gives recognition to good Olympic sports for a couple days a year, and that's it. Who cares if the schools that put all their eggs in the football/basketball baskets don't do well in the Dixon Trophy? Nobody, really. Except you, I guess.
        I don't like how they frame it as the "best athletic program" when it has been given to numerous schools who have had crappy to mediocre foosball programs since it started being handed out.

A school could literally finish in second place in every category and win this trophy without having one Pee Sack Title.

That's how stupid they calculate this thing.

Comment

I don't like how they frame it as the "best athletic program" when it has been given to numerous schools who have had crappy to mediocre foosball programs since it started being handed out.

A school could literally finish in second place in every category and win this trophy without having one Pee Sack Title.

That's how stupid they calculate this thing.
          It's a pretty basic concept. "The F. Eugene Dixon Trophy is awarded by the PSAC to the member institution whose athletic program earns the best overall finish in conference championships and/or regular-season play. During the course of the academic year, points are awarded based on an institution's finish in the 23 conference sports."

It's the best overall finish for the entire athletic program. It is exactly what it is. It can't be bogus.

It's not billed as "the best athletic program", as you say. That implies a value judgment. You value an athletic program structured like IUP's. They are not all the same. They are quite different, in some cases. The conference is not homogeneous. The schools value different sports more than others.. There is no value system involved for the Dixon Trophy. All sports are weighted equally.

Prior to 2011-2012, Ship did have a big advantage due to having strong T&F, both indoor and outdoor and both men's and women's. Inclusive of that academic year, only the top 6 men's and top 6 women's sports counted for each school. While that did take away any impact of offering varying numbers of sports, it also aided Ship because they were winning 4 conference championships in T&F (the Shippensburg Rule?). So, that was changed to include all sports.

9 different schools have won the trophy. Unfortunately, IUP is not one of the nine.

It is as it is defined. Nothing more, nothing less. What is a bigger disparity in all this is that there are 5 schools which offer D1 sports. One school offers 2 D1 sports. That takes more resources but those programs don't even count in the Dixon rankings. The trophy is awarded to the school that scores the highest across all PSAC championships. It couldn't be more straightforward.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It's a pretty basic concept. "The F. Eugene Dixon Trophy is awarded by the PSAC to the member institution whose athletic program earns the best overall finish in conference championships and/or regular-season play. During the course of the academic year, points are awarded based on an institution's finish in the 23 conference sports."

It's the best overall finish for the entire athletic program. It is exactly what it is. It can't be bogus.

It's not billed as "the best athletic program", as you say. That implies a value judgment. You value an athletic program structured like IUP's. They are not all the same. They are quite different, in some cases. The conference is not homogeneous. The schools value different sports more than others.. There is no value system involved for the Dixon Trophy. All sports are weighted equally.

Prior to 2011-2012, Ship did have a big advantage due to having strong T&F, both indoor and outdoor and both men's and women's. Inclusive of that academic year, only the top 6 men's and top 6 women's sports counted for each school. While that did take away any impact of offering varying numbers of sports, it also aided Ship because they were winning 4 conference championships in T&F (the Shippensburg Rule?). So, that was changed to include all sports.

9 different schools have won the trophy. Unfortunately, IUP is not one of the nine.

It is as it is defined. Nothing more, nothing less. What is a bigger disparity in all this is that there are 5 schools which offer D1 sports. One school offers 2 D1 sports. That takes more resources but those programs don't even count in the Dixon rankings. The trophy is awarded to the school that scores the highest across all PSAC championships. It couldn't be more straightforward.
            It’s bogus. You won’t change my mind.

Maybe if those schools stop the fantasy of being D1 wrestling powers and drop their progrsms back to D2 where they’d count for the Bogus Dixon and they could spend more on foosball. Just a thought…

Comment

Foosball…it’s the Devil!!

I know it’s Foolsbsll by everyone assumes she says foosball. I like spelling it that way
              I'm not even going to address your comical obsession, other than to say that very little of the rest of the conference thinks about your sports program on a daily basis..

I'll just say "foosball" is not the sport, and quoting Kathy Bates movie lines doesn't make you look edgy. Nor does "Pee Sack." Do better.

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

No argument here. Nation isn't wrong, and I too am tired of hearing this conversation year after year being brought up. Just a silly trophy.
              And yet, I think we'll continue to take pride in winning it. Even though I can't ever recall a Shippensburg fan starting a thread about it.
              Last edited by jrshooter; 03-25-2023, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I'm not even going to address your comical obsession, other than to say that very little of the rest of the conference thinks about your sports program on a daily basis..

I'll just say "foosball" is not the sport, and quoting Kathy Bates movie lines doesn't make you look edgy. Nor does "Pee Sack." Do better.

And yet, I think we'll continue to take pride in winning it. Even though I can't ever recall a Shippensburg fan starting a thread about it.
                Go ahead take pride in that a handful of your athletes run up the score for track and you get a trophy. But it took you 30 years to beat IUP in foosball and it was because the IUP players basically quit Do better.

Comment

That's OK. Never thought about it enough to start a thread about it.

Comment

It’s bogus. You won’t change my mind.

Maybe if those schools stop the fantasy of being D1 wrestling powers and drop their progrsms back to D2 where they’d count for the Bogus Dixon and they could spend more on foosball. Just a thought…
                    I am a football guy. I love football! But this is such a ridiculous take. What fantasy of being D1 powers should they stop? The one where Lock Haven won the MAC 2 years in a row? The one where Anthony Noto took 4th place and Feldkamp 7th place in the country in D1 at their respective weight class? Or how about in 2019 when Ronnie Perry made the finals and Lock Haven got more national publicity for LH than your beloved IUP did that year with their football and men's basketball program?

On top of staying in D1 for tradition's sake, which is good reason enough, they are competitive there. Will they be winning the national title or even being top 5 soon? No. But winning/ being competitive in an established D1 Conference like the MAC against schools like Kent St, Central Michigan, Ohio, Buffalo, & N Illionois among others is a very impressive.

As far as the Dixon trophy goes, I do think you make some strong points like winning a conference title should hold more weight. Your stat of Boro and IUP having so many titles and no Dixon Trophy is good evidence imho. But your diatribe about the trophy being a complete joke because of it being too Olympic sports focus is wrong and very old. It is a total athletic department trophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post

I am a football guy. I love football! But this is such a ridiculous take. What fantasy of being D1 powers should they stop? The one where Lock Haven won the MAC 2 years in a row? The one where Anthony Noto took 4th place and Feldkamp 7th place in the country in D1 at their respective weight class? Or how about in 2019 when Ronnie Perry made the finals and Lock Haven got more national publicity for LH than your beloved IUP did that year with their football and men's basketball program?

On top of staying in D1 for tradition's sake, which is good reason enough, they are competitive there. Will they be winning the national title or even being top 5 soon? No. But winning/ being competitive in an established D1 Conference like the MAC against schools like Kent St, Central Michigan, Ohio, Buffalo, & N Illionois among others is a very impressive.

As far as the Dixon trophy goes, I do think you make some strong points like winning a conference title should hold more weight. Your stat of Boro and IUP having so many titles and no Dixon Trophy is good evidence imho. But your diatribe about the trophy being a complete joke because of it being too Olympic sports focus is wrong and very old. It is a total athletic department trophy.
                      Nobody cares about the MAC. In any sport. It's where athletic programs go to fade into obscurity.

Lock Haven should just shut down the foosball program if they are going to continue being D1 in wrestling and operating in Penn State's long shadow.

I'm surprised Ms Taylor didn't sink the wrestling program as well.

Comment

Well well well…IUP is 25th in the D2 Directors Cup. It’s the second highest ranked Pee Sack school. Only Walk On U is ranked higher…

Further proof that the Dixon is BOGUS!

https://iupathletics.com/news/2023/3...oid26qwPq7fmIc

Comment

Well well well…IUP is 25th in the D2 Directors Cup. It’s the second highest ranked Pee Sack school. Only Walk On U is ranked higher…

Further proof that the Dixon is BOGUS!

https://iupathletics.com/news/2023/3...oid26qwPq7fmIc
                          I've never seen anybody so happy to be in 25th place.

We're # 25!!!

Comment

Where can I apply for a refund of the time I spent reading this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I've never seen anybody so happy to be in 25th place.

We're # 25!!!
                              Out of almost 200 schools..yeah that’s not bad.

Thats calculated correctly. The Dixon is BOGUS.

You mad that I was proven right yet again?

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                                Where can I apply for a refund of the time I spent reading this thread?
                                Put your grievance on your score board.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X