Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gannon takes Dixon Trophy

Gannon earned the Dixon Trophy the 1st non PASSHE school & 1st time an Erie County school won.
    OK Gannon haters your turn .... to spout off your BS.

https://gannonsports.com/news/2022/5...on-trophy.aspx

I'll never really understand those who make it a point to hate on the Dixon Trophy. It does what it's designed to do: recognize schools who perform well in the sports that don't traditionally get a lot of recognition. It doesn't give special attention to football or basketball because those sports already get special attention.

Congrats to Gannon for winning their first!

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
      I'll never really understand those who make it a point to hate on the Dixon Trophy. It does what it's designed to do: recognize schools who perform well in the sports that don't traditionally get a lot of recognition. It doesn't give special attention to football or basketball because those sports already get special attention.

Congrats to Gannon for winning their first!
      Last edited by IUPNation; 05-26-2022, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
        It does what it's designed to do: recognize schools who perform well in the sports that don't traditionally get a lot of recognition.
        It's designed to recognize schools that perform well across the board. Maybe that's what you meant, I'm not sure.

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
        IUP won three Pee Sack titles..tied for 2nd and still came in 10th. Are you ****ing kidding me.
        Gannon won two, tied for one, and finished second in three. IUP came in 10th because it didn't do very well in women's XC, men's swimming, and both T&F. Who's fault is that?

... the sports that actually matter.
        For some of the student-athletes who play these sports, it's everything. Isn't there anything in your life that means something to you that probably doesn't mean much to other people?

What if IUP FB, MBB, and WBB finished decent, but not great, yet IUP won the Dixon Trophy because it was great in XC, T&F, soccer, swimming, golf, tennis, and volleyball? Would the Dixon still be a joke?

You sound like Trump did in 2020 when he said that if mail-in ballots were allowed, "this will be the most rigged election in history." Well, if he had won the election, would it still have been rigged?

foosball
        Out of curiosity, do you have a macro on your computer that changes "football" to "foosball"? When I just typed foosball, my fingers questioned my brain. I know it's your schtick, but man, I applaud your consistent use of it over the years.
        http://www.indianagazette.com
        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Just be happy #LIT-AF stinks in the two sports you care about (football and men's basketball).

IUP stinks in many of the non-revenue sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

It's designed to recognize schools that perform well across the board. Maybe that's what you meant, I'm not sure.
            On the surface, sure. But since football/basketball are the minority in that regard, what it really does is recognize schools who perform well in the sports that don't traditionally get a lot of recognition. I am 100% certain that it's by design, and I also 100% believe that it's a good thing.

Impressively close-minded for you. For the student-athletes, every sport is big. This trophy is for them. Football already gets its fair share of attention.

If IUP ever wins it, great. If not, who cares? They're still winning the sports that the fans care about, and their name is visible because of it. You don't need to personally care about the Dixon Trophy, but calling it a joke is incredibly disrespectful.

For someone who spends a lot of time railing against Trump and the right wing... you are sounding a lot like Trump in this regard. "the trophy is rigged... it's a joke.... we're going to do so much winning..."

Comment

It's all in how you want to run your sports program. It's well-known in the PSAC that some schools sponsor fewer sports than others or allocate a significantly higher percentage of their funding to the big two sports of football or basketball. If someone wants to do that and get bragging rights in those sports, that's up to them. If these schools are staying within the Division II parameters and I don't like them beating up on me at Ship, then it's up to our school to try and get to their level of competition. But the same goes for the minor sports. If you want to treat sports other than the big two as toss-asides, then don't expect to win a trophy that emphasizes all-around team excellence across the board. Shippensburg has fallen off in soccer and some of the other secondary sports. We need to do better. On the other hand, Ship just won its 13th straight men's track and field championship. It was pointed out that Gannon is the first school without a track program to win the trophy.

Congrats to Gannon, and why would anyone "hate" on them? Good grief.

Comment

I have always respected a well-balanced athletics program and I follow a number of "minor" sports. Maybe growing up in Lock Haven has something to do with it because historically LHU had success across the board in a lot of these sports. Not just wrestling, but when I was growing up there I followed the men's soccer team and attended many games (they were a national power then). I followed the T&F, CC, women's sports, and others.

Plus, nearby PSU has always valued excellence in all sports and usually ranks high nationally in the Sears/Learfield rankings, whatever it's called now.

In addition to the basics I participated in as a young man, I have been involved in a lot of different sports as an adult, so I have an appreciation for all college sports regardless of the revenue derived from them. So, I think performing high in these rankings is a worthwhile accomplishment.

At IUP, Frank focused resources on football when he came in and we all should be grateful for that. Most likely, we wouldn't be here had he not done that. On the other hand, I knew guys on the IUP wrestling team and the IUP men's soccer team whose programs were eliminated as a result and they were none too happy with that.
                Last edited by iupgroundhog; 05-26-2022, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
                  everything. Isn't there anything in your life that means something to you that probably doesn't mean much to other people?

What if IUP FB, MBB, and WBB finished decent, but not great, yet IUP won the Dixon Trophy because it was great in XC, T&F, soccer, swimming, golf, tennis, and volleyball? Would the Dixon still be a joke?

You sound like Trump did in 2020 when he said that if mail-in ballots were allowed, "this will be the most rigged election in history." Well, if he had won the election, would it still have been rigged?

Out of curiosity, do you have a macro on your computer that changes "football" to "foosball"? When I just typed foosball, my fingers questioned my brain. I know it's your schtick, but man, I applaud your consistent use of it over the years.
                  Last edited by IUPNation; 05-26-2022, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Personally, I wish IUP would do better in many of the non-revenue sports. But, I get and support their logic.

That said, I'd never be willing to sacrifice what gets invested in to men's basketball and football for the sake of soccer.

I don't lose much sleep over the softball team. Put it that way. Go to one of the non-rev sports some time. There will be you and 16 parents in the crowd.

I'm a 'donor' and all I care about is what happens on Fall Saturday's and at Joe's 30-some games. My opinion. But, many at IUP have the same logic.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Personally, I wish IUP would do better in many of the non-revenue sports. But, I get and support their logic.

That said, I'd never be willing to sacrifice what gets invested in to men's basketball and football for the sake of soccer.

I don't lose much sleep over the softball team. Put it that way. Go to one of the non-rev sports some time. There will be you and 16 parents in the crowd.

I'm a 'donor' and all I care about is what happens on Fall Saturday's and at Joe's 30-some games. My opinion. But, many at IUP have the same logic.

Comment

The revenue sports get all the publicity and attention. So, the Dixon Trophy is just something for the rest, the have-nots. Kind of democratic, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The revenue sports get all the publicity and attention. So, the Dixon Trophy is just something for the rest, the have-nots. Kind of democratic, don't you think?

Comment

In 18-19, the football champion was also the Dixon winner.
                            In 17-18, the football champion finished second in the Dixon, and the Dixon winner finished second in football.

Comment

EDIT - The press release may have said that the honor was as the PSAC's "top program", but this is not what the actual Dixon Trophy page says. At its core, "The F. Eugene Dixon Trophy is awarded by the PSAC to the member institution whose athletic program earns the best overall finish in conference championships and/or regular-season play." To me, that doesn't really make any judgment on what is the "best athletic program", merely which program has the top finishes in athletics overall.

And to be quite honest, how much attention does the Dixon Trophy really get? Outside of the annual thread, we never address it here. The football and basketball titles get much more attention among fans and media. So why not set up the trophy so that most of it is based on the rest of the sports?
                              Last edited by EastStroud13; 05-27-2022, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X