Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Am I understanding you correctly that you're saying there are no Sheetz stores in Pittsburgh? 'Cause that ain't true.
    Last I read they had none in the city proper unless that Recently changed.

Comment

Perhaps. In my small town near the Md. line we already have a Sheetz, Turkey Hill, and Rutter's with others within 10-20 minutes of driving time.

Comment

I suspect if Sheetz opened in any of the Philadelphia suburban counties it would get the same Luke warm re rotini Royal Farms got..maybe even less of one since Royal Farms was somewhat known to many people already.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Last I read they had none in the city proper unless that Recently changed.
          The "city proper" is actually relatively small. But there are more than a dozen within 10-15 minutes of downtown.
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

The "city proper" is actually relatively small. But there are more than a dozen within 10-15 minutes of downtown.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Kind of for GetGo. They have too wide a range of stores from the glorified shed with gas pumps to standard small mini marts to full service similar to Sheetz. The one by my house is a cashier hut. There are two in Wexford and two in Cranberry that are much more like a Sheetz plus car washes.
              The GetGo in Lawrenceville on Butler Street near the 40 St Bridge is basically the shed with gas pumps (and inconsistent, at best, service), as is the one on South Side at 18 St and East Carson; conversely, the GetGo on Baum and Millvale in Bloomfield-ish (I don't even know what to consider that part of Pittsburgh, but I think the street signs say Bloomfield) and the one further up East Carson past South Side Work are full-size "super stores". It would've been nice if Sheetz actually opened a store within Pittsburgh proper so I didn't have to schlep out to Harmarville or Robinson to get my Sheetz fix.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I think I mention this every time the topic of Wawa vs. Sheetz comes up but it's hard for me to be impartial. I love Wawa. It goes back to the early 90's when I was a (relatively) young Research Assistant for the old ad agency Earle Palmer Brown & Spiro, which was the largest ad agency in Philadelphia, maybe ever, because it was designed to compete with the big NY agencies. FWIW, that idea fizzled and the company only lasted a few years in Philly.

However, Wawa was our client and they ran a series of focus groups to evaluate their ad campaign at the time, which was a major shift to emphasize the deli and freshly-made hoagies. My role, as a junior person, was to sit in the back room behind the one-way mirror, talk with the clients and liase between the group moderator and the clients. So, I ended up working with the sons of the Wawa founder, the Wood brothers, on that project. It's a memorable project and I've been a huge fan of Wawa ever since. Just seeing their strategic approach to delivering their product, how they viewed their relationship with the customer, etc. It's been such a well run company for a very long time.
                Last edited by iupgroundhog; 06-25-2022, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

The GetGo in Lawrenceville on Butler Street near the 40 St Bridge is basically the shed with gas pumps (and inconsistent, at best, service), as is the one on South Side at 18 St and East Carson; conversely, the GetGo on Baum and Millvale in Bloomfield-ish (I don't even know what to consider that part of Pittsburgh, but I think the street signs say Bloomfield) and the one further up East Carson past South Side Work are full-size "super stores". It would've been nice if Sheetz actually opened a store within Pittsburgh proper so I didn't have to schlep out to Harmarville or Robinson to get my Sheetz fix.
                  Welcome back to WPA. Sheetz has several "no gas" stores and I'm surprised they don't open one downtown. The couple 7-11 stores are below average even by 7-11 standards.

Comment

Welcome back to WPA. Sheetz has several "no gas" stores and I'm surprised they don't open one downtown. The couple 7-11 stores are below average even by 7-11 standards.

Comment

I'm still in Texas, but I was just sharing my recollections from when I lived in Pittsburgh.

As for the 7-11 stores out here, the further north away from Dallas you get (mainly Frisco, Plano, Flower Mound, Corinth), the better the store quality, especially with design and appearance. A lot of the 7-11s in Downtown Dallas proper are, well, sketchy.
                      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I'm still in Texas, but I was just sharing my recollections from when I lived in Pittsburgh.

As for the 7-11 stores out here, the further north away from Dallas you get (mainly Frisco, Plano, Flower Mound, Corinth), the better the store quality, especially with design and appearance. A lot of the 7-11s in Downtown Dallas proper are, well, sketchy.

Comment

Have the Wa-Wa stores started selling beer/wine yet? The majority of the Sheetz stores now do. Most took heavy resistance from local businesses (afraid Sheetz could undercut them on everything) but it seems Sheetz won out in most instances. Each location seems to stock their supply based on the location. For instance, the campus Sheetz at IUP sells just about only your 'college level' beer and wine where the other two in town stock much better selections (more like the Guinness-type beers and more mainstream wine).

I'd guess Sheetz put a major hurting on several of the local beer shops in Indiana (and everywhere else they have it). It's hard to beat the one-stop shop.

Comment

I grew up in Wawa country but currently live in Sheetz land. The usual advice I give yinzers going east or Philly folks heading west is "Sheetz Hot, Wawa Cold." There are a few exceptions but you are usually safe going that route. Wawa won my yinzer wife over thanks to iced T, warming their cookies and their Thanksgiving dinner on a hoagie roll. Still prefer Wawa even though the hoagies aren't as good as they were in my youth.

Comment

Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post
                              I grew up in Wawa country but currently live in Sheetz land. The usual advice I give yinzers going east or Philly folks heading west is "Sheetz Hot, Wawa Cold." There are a few exceptions but you are usually safe going that route. Wawa won my yinzer wife over thanks to iced T, warming their cookies and their Thanksgiving dinner on a hoagie roll. Still prefer Wawa even though the hoagies aren't as good as they were in my youth.
                              That's interesting. Wawa had a "Thanksgiving hoagie" w/ Turkey, gravy stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc. going back at least 10 years. I wonder which chain had it first.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Have the Wa-Wa stores started selling beer/wine yet? The majority of the Sheetz stores now do. Most took heavy resistance from local businesses (afraid Sheetz could undercut them on everything) but it seems Sheetz won out in most instances. Each location seems to stock their supply based on the location. For instance, the campus Sheetz at IUP sells just about only your 'college level' beer and wine where the other two in town stock much better selections (more like the Guinness-type beers and more mainstream wine).

I'd guess Sheetz put a major hurting on several of the local beer shops in Indiana (and everywhere else they have it). It's hard to beat the one-stop shop.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X