Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember when that prototype Giant Eagle Market Place opened in the old Giant Eagle location near campus. They tore down the old GE and built a really nice building. They sold beer there very close to campus. It ran the old IUP landmark, Uncle Sudzies, right out of business. Then, of course, Giant Eagle pulled the plug and shut the new store down. That building has been vacant there for 4-5 years now. Prime location but word is the lease price they want is astronomical. It would be perfect for a Buffalo Wild Wings (or similar).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I remember when that prototype Giant Eagle Market Place opened in the old Giant Eagle location near campus. They tore down the old GE and built a really nice building. They sold beer there very close to campus. It ran the old IUP landmark, Uncle Sudzies, right out of business. Then, of course, Giant Eagle pulled the plug and shut the new store down. That building has been vacant there for 4-5 years now. Prime location but word is the lease price they want is astronomical. It would be perfect for a Buffalo Wild Wings (or similar).

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That's interesting. Wawa had a "Thanksgiving hoagie" w/ Turkey, gravy stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc. going back at least 10 years. I wonder which chain had it first.
        I googled it and Wawa introduced the "Gobbler" in 2005. Not that it can't be surpassed but Wawa has been the most innovative convenience store in the U.S. for the past 40-50 years. Sheetz is good. It's just not Wawa.

Comment

I googled it and Wawa introduced the "Gobbler" in 2005. Not that it can't be surpassed but Wawa has been the most innovative convenience store in the U.S. for the past 40-50 years. Sheetz is good. It's just not Wawa.
          They can be messy but they are still a massive hit when they roll back out in the fall.

They now have a few Wawas that have drive thrus. I can't imagine waiting in that line at the few they are trying out in Bucks County and South Jersey.

I would think they would have to be even crazier than a Hate Fil A drive thru.

We noticed yesterday on our way to get Chicken Sliders at the Downingtown Royal Farms that they closed the non gas station Wawa at the corner of 282 and Pennsylvania in Downingtown. It was in that strip mall for years. Usually they do that when they open a new super Wawa closeby...but there is one of them only 6-7 blocks away at 322/Boot Road that has been there for a number of years. It was a really old location, it was probably not worth remodeling. Wawa doesn't let the big stores get run down, they will spend the money to renovate a store even if it's less than 10 years old. They do not play around. If you think you are going to compete with them head on and win by not matching them toe to toe...you will lose. The remains of many gas stations near Wawas are the proof of that. You either have to accept the fact you are only getting people who know Wawa gas isn't top tier or those who just hate being in the middle of the chaos for gas to your Sunoco/Exxon/Shell/BP. Sunoco stations do well because of being on literally every Turnpike in the Northeast...so people are more brand loyal there.

I myself only buy Sunoco or Exxon/Mobil. Both are top tier gas...and everyone one of them around here near a Wawa will match their price. So I'm paying the same and getting the better additive package in their gas.
          Last edited by IUPNation; 06-27-2022, 05:29 PM.

Comment

When the Wawa is built in Summerdale -- that's going to be southcentral PA's first, in the shadow of little Central Penn College -- we're going to be close to full saturation.

That's 20 minutes north of us. Royal Farms reaches to Dover, 20 minutes south of us. And you can't swing a dead cheesesteak without hitting a Sheetz or Rutter's.

I think for quality food, Wawa has it beat. Unless it's for chicken, which Royal Farms does really well. Best selection of goods would be Sheetz.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
              We noticed yesterday on our way to get Chicken Sliders at the Downingtown Royal Farms that they closed the non gas station Wawa at the corner of 282 and Pennsylvania in Downingtown. It was in that strip mall for years. Usually they do that when they open a new super Wawa closeby...but there is one of them only 6-7 blocks away at 322/Boot Road that has been there for a number of years. It was a really old location, it was probably not worth remodeling. Wawa doesn't let the big stores get run down, they will spend the money to renovate a store even if it's less than 10 years old. They do not play around. If you think you are going to compete with them head on and win by not matching them toe to toe...you will lose. The remains of many gas stations near Wawas are the proof of that. You either have to accept the fact you are only getting people who know Wawa gas isn't top tier or those who just hate being in the middle of the chaos for gas to your Sunoco/Exxon/Shell/BP. Sunoco stations do well because of being on literally every Turnpike in the Northeast...so people are more brand loyal there.
              I forgot that Kerr Park Wawa still existed. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, especially with the Turkey Hill on West Lancaster near the train station or the Super Wawas at 322/Boot (which, back in the day, was a strip mall, similar to the one near Kerr Park (282/Pennsylvania) until it was replaced around 2005 or so, or the one in East Caln on 30 near the 30 Bypass. They might slowly be phasing the stand-alone Wawas (without gas stations) out, unless it's in the center of town like the stand-alones in Malvern on King Street or the one near Paoli station. I'm also surprised the stand-alone in Newtown Square at 252 north of West Chester Pike is still around; I would've thought there'd be a Super Wawa near that location by now.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I forgot that Kerr Park Wawa still existed. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, especially with the Turkey Hill on West Lancaster near the train station or the Super Wawas at 322/Boot (which, back in the day, was a strip mall, similar to the one near Kerr Park (282/Pennsylvania) until it was replaced around 2005 or so, or the one in East Caln on 30 near the 30 Bypass. They might slowly be phasing the stand-alone Wawas (without gas stations) out, unless it's in the center of town like the stand-alones in Malvern on King Street or the one near Paoli station. I'm also surprised the stand-alone in Newtown Square at 252 north of West Chester Pike is still around; I would've thought there'd be a Super Wawa near that location by now.
                Yes, the one on 252 just north of WC Pike seems like it must be one of the oldest Wawa's in the world. As I recall, I don't think they can expand it in the present location. They must get a lot of north/south traffic on 252. I think for people driving on 252 it would be inconvenient to get off 252 and onto WC Pike and then back onto 252.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Comment

Yes, the one on 252 just north of WC Pike seems like it must be one of the oldest Wawa's in the world. As I recall, I don't think they can expand it in the present location. They must get a lot of north/south traffic on 252. I think for people driving on 252 it would be inconvenient to get off 252 and onto WC Pike and then back onto 252.
                    When was the last time youse been down 252? They moved it over like 4-5 years ago. The fire station moved over into Ellis as well. Massive new apartment building and very expensive homes being built too.

Comment

When was the last time youse been down 252? They moved it over like 4-5 years ago. The fire station moved over into Ellis as well. Massive new apartment building and very expensive homes being built too.
                      I thought that might have moved. You're right, it's been about 4 1/2 years.

Comment

I thought that might have moved. You're right, it's been about 4 1/2 years.

Comment

SEPTA is opening a new station as it extends the Current Media/Elwyn Line. The new Wawa station opens this August 21 and it becomes the Media/Wawa Line as it will now end right by Wawa HQ. Hopefully one day it goes back to West Chester.

Take that Sheetz!

Comment

It looks like the next battleground of this feud has spilled into the Midwest.

Wawa is jumping over The Yinzerlands and opening stores in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. Sheetz is going into Metro Detroit.

Wawa should just open a big store in the middle of Pittsburgh since Sheetz won’t open inside the city.

Comment

Yinz can’t have bad teeth to work at Sheetz!

https://www.businessinsider.com/shee...-policy-2023-1

Comment

Yinz can’t have bad teeth to work at Sheetz!

https://www.businessinsider.com/shee...-policy-2023-1
                                Quite a policy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X