Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    What I find interesting about GU... an Ivy League Gr xfr from Columbia, an Eastern Illinois xfr, a Jr xfr from U Buffalo, a Fr DL who started on last yr's Calif State Champ team. Also a starter on Indiana St big school Champ team + 2 from Runner up team in that state game. A Fr from last yr's Ohio St Champ team. There are 37 new players signed for fall camp with 10xfrs. Top 5 coaches have good experience. The weak spot may be the bottom 4 coaches are relatively new. Also the need to get some of these new-bees quickly into the system.
    Fall Roster
    https://gannonsports.com/sports/football/roster
    And get anywhere from 4-6 wins, just like the teams with kids from Venango County and D3 transfers.

Comment

What I find interesting about GU... an Ivy League Gr xfr from Columbia, an Eastern Illinois xfr, a Jr xfr from U Buffalo, a Fr DL who started on last yr's Calif State Champ team. Also a starter on Indiana St big school Champ team + 2 from Runner up team in that state game. A Fr from last yr's Ohio St Champ team. There are 37 new players signed for fall camp with 10xfrs. Top 5 coaches have good experience. The weak spot may be the bottom 4 coaches are relatively new. Also the need to get some of these new-bees quickly into the system.
      Fall Roster
      Sec10 just went Section 8... wow!

Comment

Fall Roster
        The bottom 4 are most likely part-timers, grad students, and volunteers. They're there to gain experience for a full-time gig or they're just unable to walk away from football. That's always a crap shoot unless you can somehow get an ex NFL'er who wants to give back for a year or two. Most of these guys aren't that great. The good coaches are able to transition from GA to full timer. Everyone else is just making football a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

And get anywhere from 4-6 wins, just like the teams with kids from Venango County and D3 transfers.
          All I remember is who beat the team that has a mascot wearing a skirt.

Comment

Fall Roster
            Gannon has a lot of new faces added to the roster. The OL needed help and looks like they added some competition there.,. Wasnt the starting LT last year a 250 lb true freshman?

It looks like a whole new staff except one and the HC. Two new coordinators.

I think they are an interesting team to watch. If it wasnt Gannon I could see them finish 3rd if the breaks go their way. That Charleston game to start if they win that they have Millersville, Clarion, Seton Hill and Boro in the next 5 games. They could be 5-1 and worst case 4-2 before the meat of the west schedule. That momentum could make a good season.

Comment

All I remember is who beat the team that has a mascot wearing a skirt.
              Gannon should consider it. Helps keep it discrete when you're taking a leak in a campus parking lot.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This time every year: They have 9 starting RBs

Oct 1: They have one RB available

On paper, Tort has a full house. We'll see what that means.

I have no worries with the QB import. He's coming from a way better D2 conference than the PSAC. He's D2 battle tested and has a cannon. He had his growing pains (FR and Soph) elsewhere. He's not a 'D1' import from some bush league school as to where most of those transfers were D2 all along and held a clipboard for 2-3 years. He's also surrounded by stud WRs and stud OL, TE and RBs.

They have a new, high energy OC.

Stars are aligning.

Tort and his team got a pass with last years mental breakdown. It's time. I think some bad apples are also gone. Hopefully that helps.
                Pretty strong analysis. There could be a DL surprise on the horizon just sayin.

Comment

It will not be a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Pretty strong analysis. There could be a DL surprise on the horizon just sayin.
                    Are you thinking Gerald Brown (formerly of Cal)?

Being that has been discussed a lot (and Greg says it won't be a surprise) ...

Changing gears, I really like (unfortunately) SRU snagging the big DL from Clarion. He's legit -- and will be even better surrounded by all that additional talent. Very high motor.

Comment

Are you thinking Gerald Brown (formerly of Cal)?

Being that has been discussed a lot (and Greg says it won't be a surprise) ...

Changing gears, I really like (unfortunately) SRU snagging the big DL from Clarion. He's legit -- and will be even better surrounded by all that additional talent. Very high motor.
                      Good for SRU, but the top of the league raiding the bottom is not so good if we ever want to get some semblance of competitive balance in the PSAC. It's probably somewhat more of a thing in basketball than football at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Good for SRU, but the top of the league raiding the bottom is not so good if we ever want to get some semblance of competitive balance in the PSAC. It's probably somewhat more of a thing in basketball than football at the moment.
                        "The rich get rich and the poor get poorer, in the meantime, in between time, ain't we got fun !!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I certainly agree with you. I do not support inter-division transfers. I still think if you transfer in-division, you should have to sit out a year.

But, that's not the rule. So, unfortunately for those at the bottom, they will continue to get raided every off-season. The bottom half -- probably in particular the bottom quarter -- will just act as a minor league system for the big boys. Go to Lock Haven for a year ... get some nice film ... and move on to SRU, IUP, etc.

Clarion was a perfect example last year. While the overall team was terrible, there were many good players on the roster. Unfortunately for the Golden Eagles, most of them are all gone now.

IUP took several California transfers this year in football. That's odd in itself because Cal isn't a Clarion-type. Probably more to that story, but, nonethless. IUP also just took a Seton Hill men's basketball transfer. That's actually the first PSAC West transfer Joe has taken (to my knowledge). Of course, he did sign Brandon Norfleet away from Cheyney. Norfleet went on to be an All-America selection at IUP.

Comment

I certainly agree with you. I do not support inter-division transfers. I still think if you transfer in-division, you should have to sit out a year.

But, that's not the rule. So, unfortunately for those at the bottom, they will continue to get raided every off-season. The bottom half -- probably in particular the bottom quarter -- will just act as a minor league system for the big boys. Go to Lock Haven for a year ... get some nice film ... and move on to SRU, IUP, etc.

Clarion was a perfect example last year. While the overall team was terrible, there were many good players on the roster. Unfortunately for the Golden Eagles, most of them are all gone now.

IUP took several California transfers this year in football. That's odd in itself because Cal isn't a Clarion-type. Probably more to that story, but, nonethless. IUP also just took a Seton Hill men's basketball transfer. That's actually the first PSAC West transfer Joe has taken (to my knowledge). Of course, he did sign Brandon Norfleet away from Cheyney. Norfleet went on to be an All-America selection at IUP.
                            Didn't that used to be a thing or was that squashed by the new transfer rules? I thought I remember there was sort of a gentlemen's agreement between PSAC coaches unless there was a good personal reason for the kid to transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Didn't that used to be a thing or was that squashed by the new transfer rules? I thought I remember there was sort of a gentlemen's agreement between PSAC coaches unless there was a good personal reason for the kid to transfer.
                              In our era it was a thing. If you'd transfer from, say, Edinboro to IUP .... you had to sit out one season. I think it was an actual league rule.

But if you went D2 to D2 ... IUP to Fairmont State, you didn't have to sit.

Programs had much stronger abilities to block destinations back then, too.

Comment

Actually when kid wants to transfer the head coach can block teams in the PSAC from offering him.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X