Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Rock - until they prove otherwise
    2. IUP - Really like their roster this year but I think I say that every year. Bottom line is they always seem to find a way to underperform. 8-2 sounds about right but it wouldn't shock me for them to catch fire and win the region. They have a QB that can take them there, just depends on if they can put it all together
    3. Gannon - They played everyone fairly tough last year and brought in some key pieces. I think they'll take a big step forward
    4. Cal - have them slipping out of the top 3. QB is a stud but too many moving parts (coaches/players) to not see some regression
    5. Seton Hill - New coach has them moving in the right direction, liked what I saw from them last year
    6. Hurst - they are a question mark for me...6 sounds right
    7. Boro - long way to go here, they lost a lot. Love their new guy though, another year or two and they'll be trending up
    8. Clarion - They'll stay in this spot until they prove otherwise. A lot of rebuilding to do here, basically an entirely new roster and staff that will only have been in place a few weeks prior to the start of camp. Going to take a bit to get things going but they have the right people in place. Monica was a great hire, bringing Durish back was another huge addition. They'll be naming a new OC next week who is a former 2 time national coach of the year at the Dlll level that will really catch some attention. hard to say what this year will look like, my guess is not pretty but they'll quickly have this thing turned around.

Comment

Originally posted by CUlater View Post
      2. IUP - Really like their roster this year but I think I say that every year. Bottom line is they always seem to find a way to underperform. 8-2 sounds about right but it wouldn't shock me for them to catch fire and win the region. They have a QB that can take them there, just depends on if they can put it all together
      3. Gannon - They played everyone fairly tough last year and brought in some key pieces. I think they'll take a big step forward
      4. Cal - have them slipping out of the top 3. QB is a stud but too many moving parts (coaches/players) to not see some regression
      5. Seton Hill - New coach has them moving in the right direction, liked what I saw from them last year
      7. Boro - long way to go here, they lost a lot. Love their new guy though, another year or two and they'll be trending up
      8. Clarion - They'll stay in this spot until they prove otherwise. A lot of rebuilding to do here, basically an entirely new roster and staff that will only have been in place a few weeks prior to the start of camp. Going to take a bit to get things going but they have the right people in place. Monica was a great hire, bringing Durish back was another huge addition. They'll be naming a new OC next week who is a former 2 time national coach of the year at the Dlll level that will really catch some attention. hard to say what this year will look like, my guess is not pretty but they'll quickly have this thing turned around.
      Mark Speckman is coming to Clarion as their new OC. He runs the "Fly" offense, which uses the sweep as it's base play. The Fly offense tries to take advantage of the "D" gap out on the edges. It also uses deception to try an keep the defense in a base look. Speckman has been successful at every level of football, including the CFL. He's an inspiring guy.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Mark Speckman is coming to Clarion as their new OC. He runs the "Fly" offense, which uses the sweep as it's base play. The Fly offense tries to take advantage of the "D" gap out on the edges. It also uses deception to try an keep the defense in a base look. Speckman has been successful at every level of football, including the CFL. He's an inspiring guy.
        If you have an hour to kill: "The Fly Offense" with Coach Mark Speckman

Unless he's been on campus for a while and they're just announcing it now, his biggest challenge will be installing a completely new offense in a couple of weeks.
        http://www.indianagazette.com
        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

If you have an hour to kill: "The Fly Offense" with Coach Mark Speckman

Unless he's been on campus for a while and they're just announcing it now, his biggest challenge will be installing a completely new offense in a couple of weeks.
          Also requires some above average runners to operate effectively. Unfortunately Mylique McGriff is now running for the other PWU-C team.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Also requires some above average runners to operate effectively. Unfortunately Mylique McGriff is now running for the other PWU-C team.

It's a good offense for a team lacking the type of athletes it will play against on a weekly basis ... kind of like when teams ran the old Veer. Although jet sweeps are much more common in the modern game. It's been called the 'inverted' option by some.

It's still a tough offense to prepare for in a week. Clarion is going to be so young this year it's probably a good approach. If they can recruit well and get some kids to actually stick around, it could be a real headache to play down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by CUlater View Post

With the graduation of 16 seniors, including some of the most decorated players in program history, The Rock recruited heavily on the transfer portal and will bring 20 new transfer students to camp this fall. About half of those transfers were here for the 2021 spring workouts, while the other half will be new additions for the fall. Many of those transfers are expected to slide immediately into starting positions.

In addition to the transfer-heavy recruiting class, Slippery Rock will also welcome back 59 players that lettered in 2021 and a total of 14 players that saw significant time in the starting lineup last fall.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's a good offense for a team lacking the type of athletes it will play against on a weekly basis ... kind of like when teams ran the old Veer. Although jet sweeps are much more common in the modern game. It's been called the 'inverted' option by some.

It's still a tough offense to prepare for in a week. Clarion is going to be so young this year it's probably a good approach. If they can recruit well and get some kids to actually stick around, it could be a real headache to play down the road.
                Even if the "new" offense doubles their PPG to 28, the G'EAGLES will need some of those youngsters to lower their opponents 46 PPG. Don't see that happening, but I've been wrong before.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Even if the "new" offense doubles their PPG to 28, the G'EAGLES will need some of those youngsters to lower their opponents 46 PPG. Don't see that happening, but I've been wrong before.
                  I'd agree. They have (1) winnable game (LH).

Maybe they also have a shot against a typically dreadful West Liberty in the opener but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

With the graduation of 16 seniors, including some of the most decorated players in program history, The Rock recruited heavily on the transfer portal and will bring 20 new transfer students to camp this fall. About half of those transfers were here for the 2021 spring workouts, while the other half will be new additions for the fall. Many of those transfers are expected to slide immediately into starting positions.

In addition to the transfer-heavy recruiting class, Slippery Rock will also welcome back 59 players that lettered in 2021 and a total of 14 players that saw significant time in the starting lineup last fall.

I would like to see if Cal reloaded on defense. SRU-IUP looks to be the game again this year. The other teams are rebuilding.

Word out of the Rock is will the portal translate to the field? There is a load of talent coming in BUT there is also some new strategy on both sides of the ball. Lutz wants to be more of a ground and pound team.

Comment

Comment

Doesn't West Chester call their offense a shotgun wing-t?

Comment

So this happened...

https://psacsports.org/news/2022/8/3...favorites.aspx

Are IUP fans cursing in their coffee this morning?

Comment

So this happened...

No ... mainly because that news broke yesterday. I think they got it right.

Being on top of the PSAC West Preseason Coaches' Poll is kind of like being on the cover of Madden. Bad things tend to follow. It has a very dubious history.

Both SRU and IUP are loaded up.

IUP's roster was largely all here last year and chose to stay here. IUP played a lot of really young kids last year who are all now a year older and more experienced. SRU has a ton of imports coming in to play key roles. Sometimes that works. Sometimes that's a disaster. They also do return many key players.

They'll both likely be very strong.

I'd probably pick IUP to win against them if the game was at Slippery Rock. Being that it's in the funeral home of Miller Stadium ... a place where IUP has really looked uninspired the last couple years ... who knows. IUP blew them out last year. The revenge factor will be large. It will be a wild one (as usual).

Comment

No ... mainly because that news broke yesterday. I think they got it right.

Being on top of the PSAC West Preseason Coaches' Poll is kind of like being on the cover of Madden. Bad things tend to follow. It has a very dubious history.

Both SRU and IUP are loaded up.

IUP's roster was largely all here last year and chose to stay here. IUP played a lot of really young kids last year who are all now a year older and more experienced. SRU has a ton of imports coming in to play key roles. Sometimes that works. Sometimes that's a disaster. They also do return many key players.

They'll both likely be very strong.

I'd probably pick IUP to win against them if the game was at Slippery Rock. Being that it's in the funeral home of Miller Stadium ... a place where IUP has really looked uninspired the last couple years ... who knows. IUP blew them out last year. The revenge factor will be large. It will be a wild one (as usual).
                              Yet this is just the second comment on the news that broke yesterday...

Comment

So this happened...

PennWest with three teams in the top 8

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X