Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another way to look at it is IUP has to pay them to be there like a sugar daddy. They chose SRU. haha

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post

Another way to look at it is IUP has to pay them to be there like a sugar daddy. They chose SRU. haha
      Nobody in their right mind chooses to be at Slimey Pebble. :-D

Comment

Seton Hill finally put up a roster with over 20 seniors listed. And the QB transfer from Monmouth that must have got hurt last year.

If the offense can do something they could be tough in the "group of 5" in the west. The roster experience probably puts Boro at 7 in the preseason poll to me.

Playing SH late might help the youth on the Boro roster get most of a season in before they play. Hurst has a lot of seniors too and I think will be better than the Coaches poll.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Well, we know these rosters pretty well by now. There's probably a surprise or two left between now and the opening of camps -- in particular who is going to land the prized catch remaining out of California.

Obviously, SRU's visit to Miller Stadium on Oct. 1 will likely play a huge role in the West race.

Any predictions for the 1-8 West standings?

Here goes:

1. IUP - The Hawks' offense should be scary -- and, the defense is a year older. IUP also hosts Slippery Rock this year (not that the home field advantage has meant much in this series as of late). If the Hawks can protect the punter -- and show a pulse inside Miller Stadium -- they should be pretty tough to beat.

2. Slippery Rock - The Rock has three tough road games in the first 8 weeks -- at West Chester, IUP and California. No denying they got much better last year after making the QB change.

3. California - The Vulcans lost a lot, but, still have a lot. And, every time people think Cal will be down, well, they aren't. That said, a brutal schedule awaits (unlike last year). Back to back early road trips to Kutztown and Shepherd will be very difficult. IUP and SRU both visit Adamson. And, well, we know IUP's recent history inside Adamson. The Vulcans need a split in the Kutztown/Shepherd stretch and to split IUP/SRU.

4. Edinboro - The Scots came on strong in the second half a year ago. They took some portal losses, but, if anything, the rest of the West is shaky at best. Edinboro won't surprise anybody this year. Early trips to Shepherd and California won't be easy.

5. Gannon - The Boom Squad always has more talent than its record indicates. Sooner or later they may put it all together.

6. Mercyhurst - A new era begins, but it may take a couple years to rebuild the roster.

7. Seton Hill - The Griffins are getting better -- slowly.

8. Clarion - Likely another long year looming for the Golden Eagles. The new staff inherited a pretty empty cupboard. Many of Clarion's best players left via the portal.
          I agree....can not believe how bad they played at home last year, for a 7-3 team.

Comment

Gannon has Millersville, West Chester, Clarion, Edinboro, and Seton hill before SRU. Hard to see them losing to anyone there except potentially WC. 5-1 or 6-0 going into SRU could be an interesting story line that's different from the standard big 3 matchups every year.

The OL is better than last year when they had to start a 250lb freshman LT. The OL is pretty big and they alternate Blanks at 220lbs with a smaller quick kid at RB. They have a good athletic group at WR. Qb has a really strong arm.

Big thing from tonight was the D stuffed the run. I figured Charleston would run the ball. They had a big OL and a 6-3 220 lb RB that was their number 2 guy last year. They got stuffed and put all the pressure on their new QB. The new DC might be the pick up of the off season for Gannon. Charleston not being able to run the ball set the tone for the game early. (Charleston O had 100yds on 42 plays in 1st half). Down 13-0 Charleston had 2 chances to score when Gannon's O bogged down after the 1st drive and they couldnt move the ball consistently and had to kick 2 FG's.
            Last edited by EdinboroFB; 09-01-2022, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
              Gannon has Millersville, West Chester, Clarion, Edinboro, and Seton hill before SRU. Hard to see them losing to anyone there except potentially WC. 5-1 or 6-0 going into SRU could be an interesting story line that's different from the standard big 3 matchups every year.

The OL is better than last year when they had to start a 250lb freshman LT. The OL is pretty big and they alternate Blanks at 220lbs with a smaller quick kid at RB. They have a good athletic group at WR. Qb has a really strong arm.

Big thing from tonight was the D stuffed the run. I figured Charleston would run the ball. They had a big OL and a 6-3 220 lb RB that was their number 2 guy last year. They got stuffed and put all the pressure on their new QB. The new DC might be the pick up of the off season for Gannon. Charleston not being able to run the ball set the tone for the game early. (Charleston O had 100yds on 42 plays in 1st half). Down 13-0 Charleston had 2 chances to score when Gannon's O bogged down after the 1st drive and they couldnt move the ball consistently and had to kick 2 FG's.
              That soft schedule won't get them a playoff spot.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Very likely but they look, after one game, to be very capable of ruining someone else's season. My VULCANS come to mind. We're 11-1 vs the G'KNIGHTS but that loss was in '18 and possibly cost a PO slot. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

West Chester should be pretty decent, and Clarion, Edinboro, and Seton Hill are in their division, so it's hard to see how they could avoid scheduling them. And they still have to play Slippery Rock, Cal, and IUP, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

West Chester should be pretty decent, and Clarion, Edinboro, and Seton Hill are in their division, so it's hard to see how they could avoid scheduling them. And they still have to play Slippery Rock, Cal, and IUP, right?
                    Please don't forget the Battle of Erie where they host a cross town rival that has beaten them 10 of 14 games back to '08.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

well SRU, WestPennCal & IUP also play WestPennBoro, WestPennClair & Seton Hill
                      That's what's so great about the game. You can never tell the way the ball will bounce once it hits the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Please don't forget the Battle of Erie where they host a cross town rival that has beaten them 10 of 14 games back to '08.
                        Yeah, I wouldn’t overreact to an opening week win over a weak opponent. We’ve seen Gannon start off well only to end up with 4-5 losses by that time the dust settles, and I’d be shocked if that’s not the same story this year. To your point, I don’t expect Gannon to be the best team in Erie, let alone sniff a playoff spot.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Yeah, I wouldn’t overreact to an opening week win over a weak opponent. We’ve seen Gannon start off well only to end up with 4-5 losses by that time the dust settles, and I’d be shocked if that’s not the same story this year. To your point, I don’t expect Gannon to be the best team in Erie, let alone sniff a playoff spot.
                          We’ll said

Comment

Charleston felt the wrath of the Boom Squad.

#LIT-AF

Comment

Thing is, it doesn't take too many quality opponents to knock you out of the playoff hunt. More than 1 or 2 losses and you're generally toast.

Comment

Not a real ground breaking prediction. A schedule with WC, Cal, IUP, and SRU and ending with 4 losses.Theyd be underdogs in vegas atleast at the moment.

A series history not being good vs. Hurst is 5 losses

The beat down of Charleston was impressive either way but inconsistent at times still.. . Inconsistency will still be an issue but thats true for everyone.
                                Last edited by EdinboroFB; 09-03-2022, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X