Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSAC West 2022

Well, we know these rosters pretty well by now. There's probably a surprise or two left between now and the opening of camps -- in particular who is going to land the prized catch remaining out of California.

Obviously, SRU's visit to Miller Stadium on Oct. 1 will likely play a huge role in the West race.

Any predictions for the 1-8 West standings?

Here goes:

1. IUP - The Hawks' offense should be scary -- and, the defense is a year older. IUP also hosts Slippery Rock this year (not that the home field advantage has meant much in this series as of late). If the Hawks can protect the punter -- and show a pulse inside Miller Stadium -- they should be pretty tough to beat.

2. Slippery Rock - The Rock has three tough road games in the first 8 weeks -- at West Chester, IUP and California. No denying they got much better last year after making the QB change.

3. California - The Vulcans lost a lot, but, still have a lot. And, every time people think Cal will be down, well, they aren't. That said, a brutal schedule awaits (unlike last year). Back to back early road trips to Kutztown and Shepherd will be very difficult. IUP and SRU both visit Adamson. And, well, we know IUP's recent history inside Adamson. The Vulcans need a split in the Kutztown/Shepherd stretch and to split IUP/SRU.

4. Edinboro - The Scots came on strong in the second half a year ago. They took some portal losses, but, if anything, the rest of the West is shaky at best. Edinboro won't surprise anybody this year. Early trips to Shepherd and California won't be easy.

5. Gannon - The Boom Squad always has more talent than its record indicates. Sooner or later they may put it all together.

6. Mercyhurst - A new era begins, but it may take a couple years to rebuild the roster.

7. Seton Hill - The Griffins are getting better -- slowly.

8. Clarion - Likely another long year looming for the Golden Eagles. The new staff inherited a pretty empty cupboard. Many of Clarion's best players left via the portal.

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Well, we know these rosters pretty well by now. There's probably a surprise or two left between now and the opening of camps -- in particular who is going to land the prized catch remaining out of California.

Obviously, SRU's visit to Miller Stadium on Oct. 1 will likely play a huge role in the West race.

Any predictions for the 1-8 West standings?

Here goes:

1. IUP - The Hawks' offense should be scary -- and, the defense is a year older. IUP also hosts Slippery Rock this year (not that the home field advantage has meant much in this series as of late). If the Hawks can protect the punter -- and show a pulse inside Miller Stadium -- they should be pretty tough to beat.

2. Slippery Rock - The Rock has three tough road games in the first 8 weeks -- at West Chester, IUP and California. No denying they got much better last year after making the QB change.

3. California - The Vulcans lost a lot, but, still have a lot. And, every time people think Cal will be down, well, they aren't. That said, a brutal schedule awaits (unlike last year). Back to back early road trips to Kutztown and Shepherd will be very difficult. IUP and SRU both visit Adamson. And, well, we know IUP's recent history inside Adamson. The Vulcans need a split in the Kutztown/Shepherd stretch and to split IUP/SRU.

4. Edinboro - The Scots came on strong in the second half a year ago. They took some portal losses, but, if anything, the rest of the West is shaky at best. Edinboro won't surprise anybody this year. Early trips to Shepherd and California won't be easy.

5. Gannon - The Boom Squad always has more talent than its record indicates. Sooner or later they may put it all together.

6. Mercyhurst - A new era begins, but it may take a couple years to rebuild the roster.

7. Seton Hill - The Griffins are getting better -- slowly.

8. Clarion - Likely another long year looming for the Golden Eagles. The new staff inherited a pretty empty cupboard. Many of Clarion's best players left via the portal.
    It will be fun when one of the bottom 5 finally steps up, but this isn't the year. BORO may come close.

Comment

Way to early for predictions as rosters are being worked on until mid August. Two players from Cal the DL and WR would help the prognosis. Cal still has Mitchell. This League has always been about solid QB play which usually equals many wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Iupgh View Post
        Way to early for predictions as rosters are being worked on until mid August. Two players from Cal the DL and WR would help the prognosis. Cal still has Mitchell. This League has always been about solid QB play which usually equals many wins.
        Well, it is July 20. It's not that early. There are teams playing a game in 43 days. But, I'd agree a major (late) transfer (i.e. a Max Redfield type) can swing everything.

You mentioned a Cal WR ... is there another one beside Lockhart (who I thought was already signed)?

Both Lockhart and former Cal DB Naszhir Taylor both have IUP Football on their Twitter handle. That's exciting stuff as both had huge games against IUP last year -- Lockhart in particular lit up the IUP secondary to the tune of 9 catches, 150-some yards and 2 TDs. Taylor had a big interception in that game and is a big, physical CB. He started all 10 games for Cal a year ago.

I can't find anything regarding Gerald Brown signing. As stated prior, adding him to the returning DL would just be the icing on the cake. He could be an impact transfer in the Max and Irv Charles category. Hopefully our recent Cal imports (players and coach) can persuade him to sign. We know SRU and Shepherd are also after him hardcore. He's going to have to make a decision here soon.

Comment

Too early for me until I see rosters.

Comment

Based on information out there at the moment. Fall camp rosters can change things. Especially not knowing what seniors from last year will be seniors again this year.

1. IUP - Qb will be interesting to see...still no backup? Even with an easier schedule I dont see 30 tds to 4 int for the position like last year. Lots of pressure on this team so one loss outside of SRU could set off another implosion.

1a/2. SRU- Returning the Qb is big. The WR group and DE's are big losses. But their website seemed to show some new transfers I didnt see on the the spring roster. A bigger RB from Lackawanna. Desmond Johnson DT from Clarion. A LB from Wayne St that was their 2nd leading tackler.....and another LB transfer that had 29 tackles at Akron last year.

3. CAL- Still seems to have a lot back. QB most importantly. I wonder if they will figure out the problem with the running game. Seemed to me the little I saw them the run blocking looked like it was a play action pass....maybe a problem with running the RPO plays. Idk. With Gerald Brown not posting his new spot makes me wonder if he wont just stay. Would he be as effective in a different scheme?

--------------------

4. Hurst- The spring roster shows a lot of guys coming back. QB also. New Coach excitement. Two scrimmages to start the year. I'd say even with Gannon... but series history leans to Hurst.

5. Gannon- whole team returns basically. QB in year 2 here. Week 1 vs Charleston could set the tone either way.

----------------------------

6. Boro- loses 3 OL with not much behind last years starters that seem to be coming back. Spring roster has 6 OL listed I think. DL/ LB/ and secondary lose a lot. Whole D needs rebuilt after last year. I think I saw 8 of the top 11 tacklers gone unless that changes for fall camp. Even with Franklin Pierce, Bloom, and Lock Haven out of "conference" this seems like a rebuild the roster year to me. The QB and skill guys seem to be a potential good group but the OL might not let that show.

7. Seton Hill- tough to say who is back... possibly could bump Boro if they have a lot back and OL/ Defense issues really hurt Boro.

8. Clarion- Would say another 0-fer year if Lock Haven wasnt on their schedule. The Clarion / LH game could be one of the worst ever with the total roster makeover years they're both in. Looks like all the QB's that took a snap are gone. I thought atleast one had some talent. The RB coming back seemed good....esp if he played somewhere else.

Comment

Comment

This time every year: They have 9 starting RBs

Oct 1: They have one RB available

On paper, Tort has a full house. We'll see what that means.

I have no worries with the QB import. He's coming from a way better D2 conference than the PSAC. He's D2 battle tested and has a cannon. He had his growing pains (FR and Soph) elsewhere. He's not a 'D1' import from some bush league school as to where most of those transfers were D2 all along and held a clipboard for 2-3 years. He's also surrounded by stud WRs and stud OL, TE and RBs.

They have a new, high energy OC.

Stars are aligning.

Tort and his team got a pass with last years mental breakdown. It's time. I think some bad apples are also gone. Hopefully that helps.

Comment

Glad to see the Hill not in dead last place.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    On paper, Tort has a full house. We'll see what that means.
                    Does the full house have 3 aces, though? Sometimes, it's the aces who put you over the top.

Comment

It does seem like this might be the year Cal falls back to the pack and officially the Big 3 in the west becomes the Big 2.

If they dont figure out the running game problems with the losses at WR the offense could really fall off. Throw in a tougher schedule they could go to the .500 range the middle group hover around. The 4-7 to 7-4 yearly records that really vary depending on the out of conference schedule more than anything.

Graduation and transfer losses could catch up and things could really tank.... they finish with Hurst, Gannon, and ESU. They could lose all 3 if guys check out.

The Cal roster release is maybe the most interesting to see. Especially since no spring roster was put up.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                        It does seem like this might be the year Cal falls back to the pack and officially the Big 3 in the west becomes the Big 2.

If they dont figure out the running game problems with the losses at WR the offense could really fall off. Throw in a tougher schedule they could go to the .500 range the middle group hover around. The 4-7 to 7-4 yearly records that really vary depending on the out of conference schedule more than anything.

Graduation and transfer losses could catch up and things could really tank.... they finish with Hurst, Gannon, and ESU. They could lose all 3 if guys check out.

The Cal roster release is maybe the most interesting to see. Especially since no spring roster was put up.
                        7-4 is the worst that I see with 8-3 possible and 9-2 highly unlikely. All will be clear by 3PM on 9/17. Of the final 3 only the game in Erie concerns me since a 3-3 record recently at Tullio is certainly not inspiring. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post

Remember they signed RB McGriff from Clarion.

He's a stud 'when' healthy. If he can stay on the field -- with much better support around him -- he could have a huge year.

But, I hear you. Several of their top players play for IUP now. Their top DL is a free agent.

Then again, we've been hearing about Cal's demise for years and it hasn't happened yet.

Comment

Mcgriff and a WR from Bloom to help the losses...if i am remembering right. I'd have to think they have some other new surprises that will be on the fall roster.

I also think Tennessee won the National Championship with Tee Martin the year after Peyton Manning left so talent might not be equal but production is production. New guys might step up.

Comment

What I find interesting about GU... an Ivy League Gr xfr from Columbia, an Eastern Illinois xfr, a Jr xfr from U Buffalo, a Fr DL who started on last yr's Calif State Champ team. Also a starter on Indiana St big school Champ team + 2 from Runner up team in that state game. A Fr from last yr's Ohio St Champ team. There are 37 new players signed for fall camp with 10xfrs. Top 5 coaches have good experience. The weak spot may be the bottom 4 coaches are relatively new. Also the need to get some of these new-bees quickly into the system.
                              Fall Roster
                              https://gannonsports.com/sports/football/roster

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X