Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
    Actually, I don't think either Shepherd or Kutztown are as good as they were last year, but nobody else in the East stepped forward at all to challenge them. Shippensburg is young with injuries mounting up and noticeably worse than last season, West Chester was a somewhat surprising disappointment, and East Stroudsburg could not bring big wins home. Bloomsburg struggled, and Lock Haven has been a continuing disaster. Only Millersville really seemed to show much improvement, and they've been so far below the mark that they're going to have to come up a lot more to challenge the big boys. They did give Kutztown a tussle this week.
    “You are what your record says you are.” Bill Parcell

Comment

Originally posted by Ramhead View Post

“You are what your record says you are.” Bill Parcell
      True enough, but some unbeaten records are better than others. Nobody is arguing Shepherd isn't the best of a weak PSAC East this season. Enjoy it.

Comment

To Shepherd's credit, they haven't had anything close to a letdown since their victory over Kutztown. Hillsdale is not a good team, but they still beat Ashland by multiple scores. It's meaningful that Shepherd has blown out everyone they're supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
          To Shepherd's credit, they haven't had anything close to a letdown since their victory over Kutztown. Hillsdale is not a good team, but they still beat Ashland by multiple scores. It's meaningful that Shepherd has blown out everyone they're supposed to.
          Well, part of the problem is exactly that Shepherd is expected to blow out most of the teams in the Eastern Division, and we're surprised if they don't. Doesn't speak well for the competitiveness of the division this season.

Comment

Being expected to blow out every team, and actually doing so, are two different things. A team that takes care of business every week deserves credit for that.

Comment

Being expected to blow out every team, and actually doing so, are two different things. A team that takes care of business every week deserves credit for that.
              Good Lord. I'm not saying they're not a good team, but just that they're by far the best of a bad lot, which I think is indisputable looking at the records this season. When Ship was going better, we used to blow out bad Cheyney, Lock Haven, and Millersville teams just about every year. We actually routed Lock Haven and Millersville in 2019 with a 4-7 team that was itself blown out on several occasions. It's not particularly hard for a highly skilled team with one of the best QBs in the country to blow out awful teams. Better competition would be a plus for Shepherd as well as the rest of the league.

Comment

Good Lord. I'm not saying they're not a good team, but just that they're by far the best of a bad lot, which I think is indisputable looking at the records this season. When Ship was going better, we used to blow out bad Cheyney, Lock Haven, and Millersville teams just about every year. We actually routed Lock Haven and Millersville in 2019 with a 4-7 team that was itself blown out on several occasions. It's not particularly hard for a highly skilled team with one of the best QBs in the country to blow out awful teams. Better competition would be a plus for Shepherd as well as the rest of the league.
                Why are you getting defensive about this? Multiple things can be true. The PSAC East can be weak, and Shepherd can be a legitimately good team that isn't that much worse than last year's team. Sure, better competition could help Shepherd, but that's true of every single team in SR1.

Comment

Why are you getting defensive about this? Multiple things can be true. The PSAC East can be weak, and Shepherd can be a legitimately good team that isn't that much worse than last year's team. Sure, better competition could help Shepherd, but that's true of every single team in SR1.
                  I actually felt like the PSAC East was better last year, but that happens. Conferences and divisions are going to be better or worse pretty much every season. If I am being honest, I feel like SR1 as a whole is a bit down. That doesn't mean there still aren't good teams in the region. Shoot, all you can do is worry about the current season. Shepherd may win the region or may lose in the first round of the playoffs. There's still a lot of football left to be played.

Comment

Well, since you seem to feel the need to engage in some sort of semantic battle with me after my posts on the matter, it's questionable who is getting defensive, but whatever. I've said multiple times that Shepherd is, indeed, a good football team, I said I didn't think they were as good as last year, nor is Kutztown. Maybe they'll dominate everyone in the playoffs and prove me wrong. Fine. It's hard really to say how good Shepherd is at this point, because we haven't had a lot to measure it against. By the way, I'm well aware that "multiple things can be true." That is stunningly self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

I actually felt like the PSAC East was better last year, but that happens. Conferences and divisions are going to be better or worse pretty much every season. If I am being honest, I feel like SR1 as a whole is a bit down. That doesn't mean there still aren't good teams in the region. Shoot, all you can do is worry about the current season. Shepherd may win the region or may lose in the first round of the playoffs. There's still a lot of football left to be played.
                      You have a good football team and a great QB. I wish them success in the playoffs. As far as the East goes aside from Shepherd, Millersville is the only team I see that has significantly improved, and they obviously still have a long way to go to catch up with Shepherd. Kutztown is so-so on offense, West Chester has been a big disappointment. I expected more out of East Stroud this year, and Ship is being hobbled by youth and an increasing number of injuries. Bloomsburg is also very young, and Lock Haven continues their decades-long struggle. There are a lot of young players getting some PT this season, so I hope we'll see some improvement next season. Obviously, I'd like to see my team win, but what I'd really like to see are more good football games It's no fun to see your team pounded, and it's not especially inspiring to see your own team beat an undermanned squad it's expected to beat by 30-40 points. I'd like to see an East with Bloomsburg, Millersville, Ship, West Chester, and at times East Stroud are the competitive teams they've been in the past. I guess we'll see if we can get there.

Comment

Well, since you seem to feel the need to engage in some sort of semantic battle with me after my posts on the matter, it's questionable who is getting defensive, but whatever. I've said multiple times that Shepherd is, indeed, a good football team, I said I didn't think they were as good as last year, nor is Kutztown. Maybe they'll dominate everyone in the playoffs and prove me wrong. Fine. It's hard really to say how good Shepherd is at this point, because we haven't had a lot to measure it against. By the way, I'm well aware that "multiple things can be true." That is stunningly self-evident.
                        Great! So we agree. I'm glad that we engaged in a discussion on a discussion board.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

I'd go as far as even saying D2 as a whole really graduated or exhausted eligibility and lost a huge amount of talent last year. NWMS may miss the playoffs for the first time in 18 years. Ferris State was damn near untouchable last year; this year they've played some closer games.

Comment

I actually think Shepherd is a better overall dream this year. The defense, especially the secondary, are better and the run defense has been stout. It's odd expecting something more from a Harlon Hill winner, but it is nice to be able to score quickly with so many different weapons. I think this team overall, right now, is better than last years. There is just a confidence knowing that you always have the confidence to hold a lead or to come back from a deficit. I agree w Monte that there has been changes that have created a more balanced division. It feels like you have more of a chance this season for some reason...

Comment

Originally posted by Monte's Catering Co. View Post

I'd go as far as even saying D2 as a whole really graduated or exhausted eligibility and lost a huge amount of talent last year. NWMS may miss the playoffs for the first time in 18 years. Ferris State was damn near untouchable last year; this year they've played some closer games.
                              Add to it the days of fancy FBS transfers are gone. The new transfer rules mean those guys just go to a different D1 without sitting a year.

Most D2 transfers now are just D2 to D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Monte's Catering Co. View Post

The COVID year of extra eligibility lead to some teams that were both experienced and old. Those RS seniors and grad students were pressing into 25ish year old territory instead of “just” 23 or 24. Hell, one of Bloomsburgs RBs last year played as a true freshman in 2015 and only just exhausted his eligibility between a medical redshirt and the COVID year. Didn’t really help the team or his performance too much but it’s a good example of just how old the division was last season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X