Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Gazette Sunday edition

As we approach the 2022 season, I am very disappointed that I won't be able to read a summary of Saturday IUP games in The Indiana Gazette by Sunday morning.

Are there any other sources to get a journalistic write-up about the games and IUP Football (blogs, etc.), aside from what the school puts out?

If the answer is no, I'd love to see that with some team expertise, interviews, etc.

Waiting until the Monday edition of the IG to read about it isn't quite the same. Or, maybe it can just be published online Sunday.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
        As we approach the 2022 season, I am very disappointed that I won't be able to read a summary of Saturday IUP games in The Indiana Gazette by Sunday morning.

Are there any other sources to get a journalistic write-up about the games and IUP Football (blogs, etc.), aside from what the school puts out?

If the answer is no, I'd love to see that with some team expertise, interviews, etc.

Waiting until the Monday edition of the IG to read about it isn't quite the same. Or, maybe it can just be published online Sunday.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review will occasionally cover an IUP game (typically the Cal and SRU games). In a 'click' world, the D2 sports just don't get enough clicks.

I would like to see IUP provide a video link to the post game press conferences (both coaches). The IUP release never includes any quotes ... basically just a written version of the box score.

I do hope they continue with The Tort Show on Monday nights (or, whichever night it was). They broadcast it from The Hilton over by the stadium.

I do agree about the lack of a Sunday edition. That stinks.

Comment

the Eire Times News is also useless in covering DII football. If they do print anything, the quality of the article is met as an afterthought....again while they gush over Penn State or a local junior high skeet shooting competition. You'd think with 3 DII school in the county, in the same conference, and who also subscribe to their paper, they'd be a little more appealing to their readers.

Comment

Originally posted by playersdad View Post
            the Eire Times News is also useless in covering DII football. If they do print anything, the quality of the article is met as an afterthought....again while they gush over Penn State or a local junior high skeet shooting competition. You'd think with 3 DII school in the county, in the same conference, and who also subscribe to their paper, they'd be a little more appealing to their readers.
            Tommy Boy Riesenweber only covers the local D2 schools at his convenience but he'll tell you otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              I would like to see IUP provide a video link to the post game press conferences (both coaches).
              You can use the term "press conference" loosely here. It's usually me, one-on-one with Tort in his office and the players outside the locker room. I try to catch the opposing coach but if they high-tail it out of town I sometimes don't get him before the bus leaves Zink.

To the best of my knowledge, SRU is the only place that has an actual "press conference" but that might only be when IUP comes to town, I am not sure. Last season, it was in the weight room.
              http://www.indianagazette.com
              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

You can use the term "press conference" loosely here. It's usually me, one-on-one with Tort in his office and the players outside the locker room. I try to catch the opposing coach but if they high-tail it out of town I sometimes don't get him before the bus leaves Zink.

To the best of my knowledge, SRU is the only place that has an actual "press conference" but that might only be when IUP comes to town, I am not sure. Last season, it was in the weight room.

Understood. I guess I was assuming they had a conference room for yourself, The Penn, campus TV, out-of-town media, etc. That's a shame if the student media services aren't participating.

Wishful thinking it seems.

Sounds like there is no media requirement in D2.

Comment

The Dr. Evil Media Room!

Comment

Understood. I guess I was assuming they had a conference room for yourself, The Penn, campus TV, out-of-town media, etc. That's a shame if the student media services aren't participating.

Wishful thinking it seems.

Sounds like there is no media requirement in D2.
                    I actually LOLd at "out of town media." There is none. John Enrietto from the Butler Eagle comes down for the SRU game but otherwise, I don't think I have seen another reporter here from a visiting paper in years. West Florida maybe?

I can't tell you how many PSAC schools I go to as "visiting media" and I am the only media.

The Penn has not covered a game in person in, I would guess, oh 6 or 7 years? They do a gamer but by watching it on TV or something. The student TV workers don't do a postgame either.

It's weird, when I started this in 1998, the P-G, Trib and sometimes Johnstown would come to home games. Pittsburgh TV was occasionally here. Big Guy had a news conference with players in the field house, and they'd bring the opposing coach and players over, too. It was actually a thing.
                    http://www.indianagazette.com
                    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

I actually LOLd at "out of town media." There is none. John Enrietto from the Butler Eagle comes down for the SRU game but otherwise, I don't think I have seen another reporter here from a visiting paper in years. West Florida maybe?

I can't tell you how many PSAC schools I go to as "visiting media" and I am the only media.

The Penn has not covered a game in person in, I would guess, oh 6 or 7 years? They do a gamer but by watching it on TV or something. The student TV workers don't do a postgame either.
                      By 'out of town media' I figured perhaps one newspaper guy. That's really something no visiting teams bring anybody.

I wish we'd get the interview clips from both sides. The school-published write-ups are so spun they are usually hard to read.

Comment

It's weird, when I started this in 1998, the P-G, Trib and sometimes Johnstown would come to home games. Pittsburgh TV was occasionally here. Big Guy had a news conference with players in the field house, and they'd bring the opposing coach and players over, too. It was actually a thing.
                        Different era in the business, I suppose. Sounds like today the remaining newspapers don't see it as worthwhile to spend the money covering D2 events.

It is shocking that a small city like Erie -- with 3 programs in its vicinity -- doesn't do more. The paper down by California (Observer Reporter?) used to cover the Vulcans pretty thoroughly but I guess that was a long time ago now.

BTW, how did all those people fit in the Miller pressbox? LOL. Must have been tight.

Comment

Different era in the business, I suppose. Sounds like today the remaining newspapers don't see it as worthwhile to spend the money covering D2 events.

It is shocking that a small city like Erie -- with 3 programs in its vicinity -- doesn't do more. The paper down by California (Observer Reporter?) used to cover the Vulcans pretty thoroughly but I guess that was a long time ago now.

BTW, how did all those people fit in the Miller pressbox? LOL. Must have been tight.

Comment

I watch every game on the 'net. Talking about media coverage.

Comment

I could count with my 10 fingers the home football and men's basketball games I've missed in the past 30 years. I may not even use all 10 fingers. Nice thing with D2 in the PSAC is even most of the roadies are under 3 hours. Best part of Seton Hill joining was it gave IUP a road game 30 minutes from Indiana.

I just like to hear the interviews afterward -- players and both HCs.

Of course, when it's live some interesting things can be said ... especially right after a heated contest. Some great coach rants come right after games. Just about every game decisions get questioned, etc. It's neat to hear their reactions, etc.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X