Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: The Hazing Epidemic

Two days until the PIAA football openers, and three schools are up to their ears in hazing scandals. And Middletown has scrapped its season.

Oh, yeah. Hazing sucks ass.

Middletown, all done: https://www.pennlive.com/highschools...intendent.html

Mohawk, season on hold: https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/loca...outputType=amp

Athens, staying the course: https://www.pennlive.com/highschools...l-program.html

On one hand, hazing has been a football (and other sports) ritual for decades. Many of us all survived it and then gave it out.

The thing is, nobody had phones that could take video back in the 50s-90s.

Making the freshmen sing a song in front of the team at dinner while in camp is pretty harmless 'hazing'. Obviously, some of these other things we hear about should come with criminal charges of sexual assault.

It sure is a shame to lose your season over such a stupid act.

Comment

mid-July football camp at Bloomsburg University
      I guess one of those PennLive links accidentally destroyed the whole thread. Whoops. Either way I’m hopeful this phrasing from the Athens superintendent letter doesn’t suggest anything actually happened on BU property.
      Last edited by TheBigCat2192; 08-25-2022, 09:39 AM. Reason: Thread lost

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

I guess one of those PennLive links accidentally destroyed the whole thread. Whoops. Either way I’m hopeful this phrasing from the Athens superintendent letter doesn’t suggest anything actually happened on BU property.

Do you mean bloom u? Which group practices there?

Comment

Football is much different today.

No hazing

Concussion protocol..

Camp is (1) practice per day

​​​Heat acclimation week

Numbers dramatically down.

Lawsuits left and right.

It's a lot different than 25 years ago. Makes you wonder how much longer high school football will exist.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

No hazing

Concussion protocol..

​​​Heat acclimation week

Lawsuits left and right.

It's a lot different than 25 years ago. Makes you wonder how much longer high school football will exist.

only one practice a day? Insane.

Comment

No hazing

Concussion protocol..

​​​Heat acclimation week

Lawsuits left and right.

There's still hazing but it's small stuff. Freshmen carry the pads. Rookie show at camp. Shaved heads.

25 years ago the seniors weren't teabagging chins or buggering with broomsticks.

Same as fraternity hazing. 25 years ago you'd hear about paddling butts or scavenger hunts for used condoms and sorority underwear. They didn't think of forcing a kid to try to drink an entire fifth of Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

There's still hazing but it's small stuff. Freshmen carry the pads. Rookie show at camp. Shaved heads.

25 years ago the seniors weren't teabagging chins or buggering with broomsticks.

Same as fraternity hazing. 25 years ago you'd hear about paddling butts or scavenger hunts for used condoms and sorority underwear. They didn't think of forcing a kid to try to drink an entire fifth of Jack.
                Not entirely so innocent back in the day. I can't recall which frat, suspect the most ANIMAL HOUSE-like one headquartered on Wood St, had their pledge class picked up walking blindfolded on the PA TPKE. Even made the PG front page which was unheard of at the time. And that was when the grandparents of this year's pledges were making merry !!

Comment

Hazing is literally the dumbest thing to do.

Can you imaging bring hazed when You HR does your intake paperwork when you are hired?

It why when I lived in Oakland Hall we used to yell out our windows and make fun of the frat rats hazing their pledges on the cemetery hill…

Comment

On one hand, hazing has been a football (and other sports) ritual for decades. Many of us all survived it and then gave it out.

The thing is, nobody had phones that could take video back in the 50s-90s.

Making the freshmen sing a song in front of the team at dinner while in camp is pretty harmless 'hazing'. Obviously, some of these other things we hear about should come with criminal charges of sexual assault.

It sure is a shame to lose your season over such a stupid act.
                    History or tradition doesn't condone heinous acts IMO. Performing a skit is not hazing. Physical punishment is what we're talking about here. It's very easy but totally wrong to have the "We survived it" approach. What if it was your son? Would you tell him that you went through it and so should he? Wow...

Comment

I don't understand the why's and wherefore's of this spate of incidents but I see it as part of the broader issues affecting our society and our world.

I think it has something to do with the breakdown of personal responsibility, respect for others, and things like that. Probably related to spending too much time on our computers.
                      Last edited by iupgroundhog; 08-28-2022, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I think I want to read the new Graham Spanier book In the Lions' Den, since I have read everything else on the situation. The title seems about accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                          I don't understand the why's and wherefore's of this spate of incidents but I see it as part of the broader issues affecting our society and our world.

I think it has something to do with the breakdown of personal responsibility, respect for others, and things like that. Probably related to spending too much time on our computers.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

History or tradition doesn't condone heinous acts IMO. Performing a skit is not hazing. Physical punishment is what we're talking about here. It's very easy but totally wrong to have the "We survived it" approach. What if it was your son? Would you tell him that you went through it and so should he? Wow...
                            Agree with this 110 percent. I bet the victims never have the warm 'n' fuzzies when they look back at their hazing. And it serves no useful purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                              I think I want to read the new Graham Spanier book In the Lions' Den, since I have read everything else on the situation. The title seems about accurate.
                              One enabler making money off other enablers ... all making money off Dirty Joe and Dirtier Jerry.

And, nobody knew anything.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X