Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The three shockers, my opinion, were Shippensburg, Kutztown and East Stroudsburg. ESU, frankly, because they lost to a creampuff. Shippensburg because they got run over. Kutztown getting shutout is mind-blowing.

I'd also add Millersville as a total disappointment.
    Well, Millersville has been a doormat for the better part of a decade, so that's about par for the course for them.

Mercyhurst looked bad against basically an all-freshmen team but found a way to win.

Seton Hill looked awful despite the mild buzz of improvement. That was a 50/50 pick. I thought they'd at least lose closer.
    On the other hand, it's easy to forget that Wheeling went 5-6 last season - their second year of non-pandemic varsity competition.

Gannon, picked by few, was the suckers' bet on the board. #Lit-AF lost a lot of close games a year ago and returned a ton. Charleston is in a rebuild year.
    That actually surprised me about Charleston.

Cal, SRU and Shepherd did as expected.

Edinboro got a real ugly, 3-point win against a team that was 0-10 last year. If the Boro line struggled with FP ... no idea how they'll handle the powerful fronts in the West.
    I'd wonder if Clarion could steal a win against Edinboro this season.

Meanwhile, Clarion did as expected (loss) and Lock Haven somehow didn't blow it against a team playing their first varsity D2 game.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

The three shockers, my opinion, were Shippensburg, Kutztown and East Stroudsburg. ESU, frankly, because they lost to a creampuff. Shippensburg because they got run over. Kutztown getting shutout is mind-blowing.

I'd also add Millersville as a total disappointment.

Mercyhurst looked bad against basically an all-freshmen team but found a way to win.

Seton Hill looked awful despite the mild buzz of improvement. That was a 50/50 pick. I thought they'd at least lose closer.

Gannon, picked by few, was the suckers' bet on the board. #Lit-AF lost a lot of close games a year ago and returned a ton. Charleston is in a rebuild year.

Cal, SRU and Shepherd did as expected.

Edinboro got a real ugly, 3-point win against a team that was 0-10 last year. If the Boro line struggled with FP ... no idea how they'll handle the powerful fronts in the West.
      I just looked at LIT AF's roster....they don't have many players from Pennsylvania. They really have a huge reach.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I just looked at LIT AF's roster....they don't have many players from Pennsylvania. They really have a huge reach.
        Probably the proximity to Presque Isle SP !!!

Comment

• Bloomsburg came thisclose to posting what would have been an excellent win over a team that moved up to DI-AA/FCS this season and easily beat the Huskies last season when they (Stonehill) were still in D2. Tough loss for Bloom considering they led the game late. (I wasn't able to follow Saturday's games closely because I was driving back from North Carolina after attending the Temple/Duke game in Durham on Friday night, though I did check the scores a couple times during the drive.)

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Probably the proximity to Presque Isle SP !!!
            They have quite a few players from warm weather states. I’d like to know what the sales pitch is to convince these kids to spend their winters in Erie.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Blah blah blah… ESU sucks! Just admit it! You should NEVER lose to Pace.
              Then you missed the part of the broadcast when I said they couldn't get out of their own way. I have always called it the way I've seen it, win or lose,

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

No need to range that far. Ship, for one, needs to bring in more kids from Jersey and venture into the region just south of the Mason-Dixon line where Shepherd has had a ton of success recruiting. Plenty of talent in those areas and not a whole lot of D2 schools, especially in Jersey. I agree the quality of football in Pa. overall has declined. One principal reason is enrollment declines in the WPIAL region, long one of the state's football hotbeds.
                I'd add another area -- home.

Ship's losing too many kids in their own backyard. The past five years, Shippensburg High has had 4-5 kids annually who would contribute -- like both Houser brothers at IUP. The best Carlisle, Cumberland Valley kids go elsewhere. The best Chambersburg kids go elsewhere. They have to keep them home.
                Last edited by jrshooter; 09-05-2022, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Ship's losing too many kids in their own backyard. The past five years, Shippensburg High has had 4-5 kids annually who would contribute -- like both Houser brothers at IUP. The best Carlisle, Cumberland Valley kids go elsewhere. The best Chambersburg kids go elsewhere. They have to keep them home.
                  I think its really hard to get the most local kids. Most of our schools lose them. There's too much familiarity to make it seem exciting. If the suburban Pittsburgh kids look down on PASSHE schools, the townies & locals look down even more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think its really hard to get the most local kids. Most of our schools lose them. There's too much familiarity to make it seem exciting. If the suburban Pittsburgh kids look down on PASSHE schools, the townies & locals look down even more.
                    I agree. Most local kids want to put some distance between their home and college, even if it's only a couple of hours. That said, you've still got to make the effort to get the locals.

Comment

I agree. Most local kids want to put some distance between their home and college, even if it's only a couple of hours. That said, you've still got to make the effort to get the locals.

Well, IUP has two potential star football players from Shippensburg High. Shippensburg has a star basketball player from Indiana High. Go figure.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I don't think most Chambersburg kids want to go 10 miles up the road, but I agree they could get more local kids. I do like to see them hit Jersey, which has abundant HS talent and a lack of Division II schools. It was nice to see Coach Fite pull in Trey Martin from Boiling Springs for basketball this year. He's done well recruiting western Pa. and the Philly area, but there are usually several good players in District 3 every year that could be of help.

Comment

Well, IUP has two potential star football players from Shippensburg High. Shippensburg has a star basketball player from Indiana High. Go figure.
                          Ship has gotten a fair amount of decent players from Shippensburg High over the years. I'm thinking as far back as 1981, when former Shippensburg High star Dave Friese was the featured back on the 12-1 Lambert Cup-winning Ship squad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

How to explain West Chester's growth with local kids staying home and commuting to school?

Comment

Ship has gotten a fair amount of decent players from Shippensburg High over the years. I'm thinking as far back as 1981, when former Shippensburg High star Dave Friese was the featured back on the 12-1 Lambert Cup-winning Ship squad.
                              Ship hoops star Carlos Carter was the last player to come out of Indiana High (and county) that IUP should have recruited. Joe always has a local walk-on deep down the bench but I can't even recall the last local scholarship player other than his son (Dante).

Football-wise, IUP has (it seems) always had some local kids. I'm sure somebody will correct me but the last big impact player I can recall was Tim Buffone (Shannock Valley), and that was 20 years ago. He was a monster at nose tackle. To be clear, I'm calling 'local' Indiana and the Heritage Conference teams.

Indiana High has been in a real funk for a long time (minus the Stapleton boys' era). One went to James Madison and the other to SRU (and eventually he went to James Madison, too).

Comment

Ship hoops star Carlos Carter was the last player to come out of Indiana High (and county) that IUP should have recruited. Joe always has a local walk-on deep down the bench but I can't even recall the last local scholarship player other than his son (Dante).

Football-wise, IUP has (it seems) always had some local kids. I'm sure somebody will correct me but the last big impact player I can recall was Tim Buffone (Shannock Valley), and that was 20 years ago. He was a monster at nose tackle. To be clear, I'm calling 'local' Indiana and the Heritage Conference teams.

Indiana High has been in a real funk for a long time (minus the Stapleton boys' era). One went to James Madison and the other to SRU (and eventually he went to James Madison, too).
                                Ship High has actually had a nice run of decent athletes recently. Cameron Tinner was an effective player for Ship recently, and the high school has a big four-star hulk named Anthony Smith who is graduating this year and has committed to Minnesota for football.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X