Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

How to explain West Chester's growth with local kids staying home and commuting to school?
    I think they're the exception because they're the only PASSHE that's not in a small, rural town. Cheyney technically isn't but they're more removed from civilization than all other campuses.

Comment

How to explain West Chester's growth with local kids staying home and commuting to school?
      Chester County is a desirable place to stay unlike various sections of PA…

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think they're the exception because they're the only PASSHE that's not in a small, rural town. Cheyney technically isn't but they're more removed from civilization than all other campuses.
        You mean it’s off the main roads and its target student is literally isolated when on campus.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Chester County is a desirable place to stay unlike various sections of PA…
          I owned a home there, started a family, and attended WCU, but either kids want to get away from home or they don't. Seems like it is just location, location, location.

Comment

I owned a home there, started a family, and attended WCU, but either kids want to get away from home or they don't. Seems like it is just location, location, location.
            It's funny, I didn't want to go to IUP. I wanted to be close enough to home and my first choice was Millersville. I'm glad my mom talked me into going to IUP. Mom is always right...and now I am! :-)

Comment

You mean it’s off the main roads and its target student is literally isolated when on campus.
              Yep. The most bizarre location for a college campus. Truly doesn't make sense that after 200 years there isn't even a half-assed Wawa across from campus.

Comment

Yep. The most bizarre location for a college campus. Truly doesn't make sense that after 200 years there isn't even a half-assed Wawa across from campus.
                West Liberty is probably the most remote campus I've ever visited. It's nice once you get there but it's probably 10 miles to the closest pizza place.

Comment

It’s 100% residential surrounding the campus and on back roads that do not carry a ton of traffic. The Wawas would never open a store there. However students can probably now make their way to the new Wawa Train Station which brings regional rail service closer to campus. I have to imagine there will be some sort of service from campus to that station. It’s much faster coming out from Philly than the riding the 120 bus from 69th Street.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

West Liberty is probably the most remote campus I've ever visited. It's nice once you get there but it's probably 10 miles to the closest pizza place.
                    Cheyney isn’t remote. It’s in the middle of highly affluent residential areas on leafy suburban back roads between West Chester Pike (PA3) to the north and Baltimore Pike (US1) to the South. If a student has a car it’s only minutes to get someplace it’s just if you don’t..you are stuck and you can’t walk to anything…but it is in a pretty area. There should also be a campus bus between Cheyney and West Chester U. It’s like a 10-15 minute ride without traffic..

Comment

Cheyney isn’t remote. It’s in the middle of highly affluent residential areas on leafy suburban back roads between West Chester Pike (PA3) to the north and Baltimore Pike (US1) to the South. If a student has a car it’s only minutes to get someplace it’s just if you don’t..you are stuck and you can’t walk to anything…but it is in a pretty area. There should also be a campus bus between Cheyney and West Chester U. It’s like a 10-15 minute ride without traffic..
                      Cheyney is remote if you don't have a car. Given the demographics of Cheyney students, I imagine few have one. Unsure if there is a campus shuttle system.

Back in the day, Cheyney had a railroad station, but even then it was a 10 minute walk on country roads to campus.

FWIW, its a 1 hour walk to anything stores: Wawa, CVS, Giant, gas station, etc.
                      Last edited by Fightingscot82; 09-07-2022, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Cheyney is remote if you don't have a car. Given the demographics of Cheyney students, I imagine few have one. Unsure if there is a campus shuttle system.

Back in the day, Cheyney had a railroad station, but even then it was a 10 minute walk on country roads to campus.

There's something to be said for remoteness in undergraduate education. It used to be billed as a positive.

Both sides of this conversation are correct. There are a lot of remote colleges in PA. Ever been to Bryn Athyn College? Arcadia University (formerly Beaver College)? Eastern University is remote. It's in a residential area far from Wawa. Immaculata University is isolated in the same way. Storied Ursinus is remote. Want to spend 4 years in Collegeville? How about Wilson College or St. Francis PA?

Then you have urban remoteness. It's a security risk to go off campus around Albright College in Reading. Lasalle is pretty much the same way.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

There's something to be said for remoteness in undergraduate education. It used to be billed as a positive.

Both sides of this conversation are correct. There are a lot of remote colleges in PA. Ever been to Bryn Athyn College? Arcadia University (formerly Beaver College)? Eastern University is remote. It's in a residential area far from Wawa. Immaculata University is isolated in the same way. Storied Ursinus is remote. Want to spend 4 years in Collegeville? How about Wilson College or St. Francis PA?

Then you have urban remoteness. It's a security risk to go off campus around Albright College in Reading. Lasalle is pretty much the same way.
                          Loretto, PA (St. Francis) is nuts. It can be a terror to get in and out of there from late October to dang near mid-April. That stretch of highway from Ebensburg to Altoona is no joke when those storms hit. It's dangerous up on that mountain. That stretch is famous for the crosswinds up there and in the snow the highway visibility is next to zero.

I've heard many of their 'academic' students like it there and knew what they were getting in to. I can imagine what many of their 'D1' athletes think who sign there sight unseen.

IUP has lost a lot of high school football recruits to them over the years. Many get sucked in to that 'D1' hype but transfer after a year. Many of their students actually come to Indiana on weekends to party (when the weather is good).

I've gone to a couple men's basketball games over the years there. The KCAC (D2) seems like Madison Square Garden compared to the experience up there.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think there's a remote town and Cheyney. There are literally no businesses on the perimeter of Cheyney's campus. Its isolation from retail plus its surroundings by those rural upper middle class neighborhoods and private country clubs given the significant poverty that is common at Cheyney must feel like a social prison. I imagine the Cheyney students unfortunately have too frequent experiences where they don't feel welcome off campus far beyond the typical college student vs college townie experience most others have.

Comment

If SEPTA wises up and restores regional rail service back to West Chester, they’d have one again. The Media/Elwyn Line was extended and it’s now the Media/Wawa line as it ends right by Wawa HQ on Baltimore Pike. The bus line doesn’t take students close to a Wawa either. It goes back out 926 and no real stores until Newtown Square. That area of the suburbs is really residential..and back roads too. It’s nice but you do need a car.

Comment

I think there's a remote town and Cheyney. There are literally no businesses on the perimeter of Cheyney's campus. Its isolation from retail plus its surroundings by those rural upper middle class neighborhoods and private country clubs given the significant poverty that is common at Cheyney must feel like a social prison. I imagine the Cheyney students unfortunately have too frequent experiences where they don't feel welcome off campus far beyond the typical college student vs college townie experience most others have.
                                Again…it’s not a rural area. It’s leafy suburbia.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X