Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LHU wins the statistical battle, but Bloom wins a close one. LHU starting QB was playing great, but was injured in the 2nd. Their backup did well, although the outcome may have been different without the starter's injury. Hard fought battle, including a scrum with an ejection.

Comment

Originally posted by CC_BU View Post
      No disrespect to Lock Haven, but they'll be a good team to practice against next week. Should be a win, but like many of the Shepherd posters mentioned, it won't necessarily be a satisfying one.

Quick question, was Riley's injury on his throwing shoulder?
      You were right. Not a satisfying one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
        LHU wins the statistical battle, but Bloom wins a close one. LHU starting QB was playing great, but was injured in the 2nd. Their backup did well, although the outcome may have been different without the starter's injury. Hard fought battle, including a scrum with an ejection.
        I only saw a few plays of this one but one was the failed onside kick by LH. That didn't seem like a good decision at the time but I didn't see the flow of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I only saw a few plays of this one but one was the failed onside kick by LH. That didn't seem like a good decision at the time but I didn't see the flow of the game.
          All you need to know is LHU had the ball 40 minutes and Bloom 20. LHU HC may have cost them the game with that on-side kick call when LHU had momentum after scoring and Bloom had no offense. He also had the ball in the redzone at the 15 with about 5 minutes to go and got an unsportsmanlike penalty when the refs picked up a flag.

Comment

All you need to know is LHU had the ball 40 minutes and Bloom 20. LHU HC may have cost them the game with that on-side kick call when LHU had momentum after scoring and Bloom had no offense. He also had the ball in the redzone at the 15 with about 5 minutes to go and got an unsportsmanlike penalty when the refs picked up a flag.
            Yep! That unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was a horrible mistake. LHU never recovered from that.

Comment

Everyone keeps beating on the LH Coach for the inside. If you believe what you keep saying that the Bloom had no offense. Why not kick the inside? Guy is trying to win a game w a backup QB. The penalty is inexcusable though.

On the next series Bloom QB broke a run into the red zone whether it was from the 40 or the opposite 40 it wouldn't have mattered.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Huskie14 View Post

Everyone keeps beating on the LH Coach for the inside. If you believe what you keep saying that the Bloom had no offense. Why not kick the inside? Guy is trying to win a game w a backup QB. The penalty is inexcusable though.

On the next series Bloom QB broke a run into the red zone whether it was from the 40 or the opposite 40 it wouldn't have mattered.

​​​
                If it worked it would have made a good coaching move, but it didn't. LHU was gambling most of the day with going for it on 4th down on their side of the field, and were generally successful, 2-3 on 4th down conversions. I say play the odds and reduce the risk; tougher to go 60 yards than 40. You never know what could happen within that extra 20 yards. Look what happened when LHU only had 15 yards to go for a tie.

Comment

Very poor performance by Bloom today. They just seemed unprepared. Delay of game, time outs to avoid delay of game. Burning all your timeouts with 9 minutes to go in the game. Quarterback changes. 12 men on the field And the icing on the cake: One minute to go in the game, 1st and goal at the one and stuffed 4 straight times. There is no offense, zero. The Huskies literally can NOT move the ball. I'm just scratching my head.
                  GO HUSKIES!

Comment

I actually thought Riley played his second best game of the year today behind the outburst against Clarion. He only threw for 1 TD but he also threw for 9* (technically 10 but one was on a play with a face mask penalty so the play-by-play calls it a first down by penalty) first downs on only 21 passes, didn’t throw any picks, and may or may not have fumbled (the play by play claims he did but it sure seems like Bowes was the one with the ball in his hands based on the play’s description). His rushing still wasn’t great but at least this time out he only took 1 sack. BU also found some running room elsewhere by committee which was an encouraging sign but unfortunately Simmon had a killer fumble inside the 10. The special teams basically ended up negating themselves by scoring a TD and then immediately giving one up. The defense stiffened up in the second half and held ESU to only 20 points (remember, kickoff TD isn’t on them). In the end I have to pin this one on the coaching staff. Sheptock took two really dumb timeouts in the second half on first and 10s. The fourth down timeout to avoid a delay of game is at least somewhat more defensible and I liked the decision to go for it. A field goal isn’t a guarantee there and punting from inside the opponents 35 is too much of a touchback risk. The timeouts ultimately didn’t matter since ESU generously used theirs when BU was at the goal line and that brings me to the lowlight of the day. Four cracks from inside the 4, three of them with TOs in-between to think at least a bit and the OC and HC couldn’t come up with anything other than variations on the same play call? None of them even appeared to be an option, just keepers the whole way. Baffling decision with the game on the line to completely close the books on passing or runs by someone other than the QB.

There were stretches of this game where you could see an outline of what the offense is supposed to be and how it could theoretically attack a defense in multiple directions and at multiple levels of the field. I’m just not sure the line is up to the task of blocking for it or if the skill position players are quite good enough to beat defenders in space consistently. I know a lot of them are young but there’s no guarantee they’ll get significantly better as they age and gain experience.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post
                      I actually thought Riley played his second best game of the year today behind the outburst against Clarion. He only threw for 1 TD but he also threw for 9* (technically 10 but one was on a play with a face mask penalty so the play-by-play calls it a first down by penalty) first downs on only 21 passes, didn’t throw any picks, and may or may not have fumbled (the play by play claims he did but it sure seems like Bowes was the one with the ball in his hands based on the play’s description). His rushing still wasn’t great but at least this time out he only took 1 sack. BU also found some running room elsewhere by committee which was an encouraging sign but unfortunately Simmon had a killer fumble inside the 10. The special teams basically ended up negating themselves by scoring a TD and then immediately giving one up. The defense stiffened up in the second half and held ESU to only 20 points (remember, kickoff TD isn’t on them). In the end I have to pin this one on the coaching staff. Sheptock took two really dumb timeouts in the second half on first and 10s. The fourth down timeout to avoid a delay of game is at least somewhat more defensible and I liked the decision to go for it. A field goal isn’t a guarantee there and punting from inside the opponents 35 is too much of a touchback risk. The timeouts ultimately didn’t matter since ESU generously used theirs when BU was at the goal line and that brings me to the lowlight of the day. Four cracks from inside the 4, three of them with TOs in-between to think at least a bit and the OC and HC couldn’t come up with anything other than variations on the same play call? None of them even appeared to be an option, just keepers the whole way. Baffling decision with the game on the line to completely close the books on passing or runs by someone other than the QB.

There were stretches of this game where you could see an outline of what the offense is supposed to be and how it could theoretically attack a defense in multiple directions and at multiple levels of the field. I’m just not sure the line is up to the task of blocking for it or if the skill position players are quite good enough to beat defenders in space consistently. I know a lot of them are young but there’s no guarantee they’ll get significantly better as they age and gain experience.
                      Good analysis. I lay this loss on the coaching staff, not having them ready for all the reasons you mention. 4 shots from the 2 yard line for the win, and the qb up the middle 4 times? ??? At least have him under center and get a push in the back from the HB or RB. Godawful play calling there. ESU had 12 seniors from last year's team starting, and Bloom kept it closer this year, so that may be 1 step forward, 2 backwards type of game.

Comment

I’d also like to know what exactly brought about the unsportsmanlike flag on Ron Long. The BUSN commentators suggested it was because he “stepped over” the WR but it looked like a pretty normal tangle up to me; certainly wasn’t an Iverson imitation. I honestly wonder if he got popped for calling the receiver something inappropriate rather than a physical action. It didn’t really matter because ESU got nothing on that drive but I was surprised by the call.

Comment

I don't usually post here, but I did watch the ESU game on the computer and was flabbergasted at some of the things that happened. I don't understand what was going on with the coaching staff.. Poor usage of time outs in the second half, 12 men on the field for a punt that led to an additional first down for ESU, and worst of all the dreadful play calling with first and goal at the end of the game. After two failed attempts at getting into the end zone, somebody on the sidelines has to have enough imagination to come up with something different to get the TD. The coaching gets a very low grade for this game. I have also been leery of some of the coaching in previous games. I hope the Huskies can survive the Shepherd game well enough to possibly come away with wins in the last two games, but that is a stretch. Millersville has vastly improved, as witnessed by their win over Ship. The trip out to Mercyhurst could also be a boondoggle..

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJay View Post
                            I don't usually post here, but I did watch the ESU game on the computer and was flabbergasted at some of the things that happened. I don't understand what was going on with the coaching staff.. Poor usage of time outs in the second half, 12 men on the field for a punt that led to an additional first down for ESU, and worst of all the dreadful play calling with first and goal at the end of the game. After two failed attempts at getting into the end zone, somebody on the sidelines has to have enough imagination to come up with something different to get the TD. The coaching gets a very low grade for this game. I have also been leery of some of the coaching in previous games. I hope the Huskies can survive the Shepherd game well enough to possibly come away with wins in the last two games, but that is a stretch. Millersville has vastly improved, as witnessed by their win over Ship. The trip out to Mercyhurst could also be a boondoggle..
                            Good to know you are still out there. Your thoughts seem to be shared by everyone. Hope to hear from you again.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJay View Post
                              Blue Jay!

Hope you are doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by CC_BU View Post
                                Very poor performance by Bloom today. They just seemed unprepared. Delay of game, time outs to avoid delay of game. Burning all your timeouts with 9 minutes to go in the game. Quarterback changes. 12 men on the field And the icing on the cake: One minute to go in the game, 1st and goal at the one and stuffed 4 straight times. There is no offense, zero. The Huskies literally can NOT move the ball. I'm just scratching my head.
                                They had 2 Seniors and 3 Grad students on the roster this week. Not sure what your expectations are for a team with that lack of experience...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X