Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR1 FB....'22

Three months down the road the relative strengths and weaknesses of the four leagues and 45 teams will be clear but this Inter-conference weekend has already offered some pretty clear indicators.
    GMAC PS#3 ASHLAND started/ended fast beating MEC PS#1 NDC 31-14 and the EAGLES are ranked behind FINDLEY and TIFFIN so this could be the year GMAC gets more than 1 in the post season.
    MEC had a not great opening night with 3 of the top 6 PS ranked teams ( #1NDC, #3CHAS, #6 FSU) going down and not looking competitive, but to be fair only the CHAS loss was any sort of surprise.
    PSAC top teams (E#1SHEP, E#3WCU, W#3CAL, W#4GU) all won and the bottom (E#5ESU, E#7MILL, W#6SHU, W#8CLAR) all lost which was not surprising except for ESU.
    NE10 showed some strength with PS#3 BENT putting up a strong showing @WCU and PS#4 PACE stomping ESU though this could be the once a decade competitive PACE team so that result may not be surprising.
    Time will tell.

fair analysis

Comment

An interesting Week 1 for sure, but it was Week 1 and it’s hard to give too much credence to the results. That said, when you start out 0-1 as some traditionally good teams did, you’ve basically left yourself very little margin for error the rest of the way if you want to get into the post-season. The two biggest surprises for me were how easily ESU was handled by Pace and NDC by Ashland.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
        An interesting Week 1 for sure, but it was Week 1 and it’s hard to give too much credence to the results. That said, when you start out 0-1 as some traditionally good teams did, you’ve basically left yourself very little margin for error the rest of the way if you want to get into the post-season. The two biggest surprises for me were how easily ESU was handled by Pace and NDC by Ashland.
        KUTZ shut out for the first time in 15 years....by NE10 Preseason #7 AIU....the '21 SR1 #1 PLAYOFF TEAM?!?!

Comment

Odd start to the season for '21 SR1 playoff teams. #1KUTZ-L @AIC #2SHEP-W @SCSU #3NDC-L @ASH. #4UNH-L @BSU. #5BENT-L @WCU. #6SRU-W v ESU. #7FIND-L v ODU. Overall 2-5. Although you can give several (NDC,UNH,BENT,FIND) a pass for scheduling tough games, at the end of the season an L is an L. SOS gets a boost, but only one 2 loss and one 3 loss teams made the seven last year, so the 5 losers are an early step closer to the edge. What can you say about KUTZ except that they have the first MUST WIN game of the season in week 2 and though I'm still unsure what the VULCANS will bring on Saturday, I certainly feel more confident than I did on Wednesday.

GMAC, aside from PS#3 ASH, started their conference season and immediately had PS#1 FIND upset, at home, by PS#4 ODU. It makes it tougher especially with PS#3 ASH visiting FIND on Saturday. My guess is the OILERS get their rig upright and prevail.

MEC started out 7-5 but 3 of those Ls were by PS top 6 picks (NDC, CHAS, FASU) and all were on the ugly side. Either CHAS EAGLES or the FASU FALCONS are going to get plucked on Thursday night with a second lose which won't be good

PSAC was a tale of two divisions. West started fast at 5-2 with solid wins from #2SRU, #3CAL AND #4GAN. Travelling East on Saturday the PS top 4 are sure things ( IUP @ ESU, GAN @ MILL) in two games and favored ( SRU @ WCU, CAL @ KUTZ) in two. Beyond that SHEP will crush BORO and the rest are anyone's guess. East may be as close to over as possible in week 1.

NE10 went 3-5 but both UNH and BENT are solid teams. None of the PS Top 3 are threatened this week, unless PACE is actually decent as they travel to BENT.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
            Odd start to the season for '21 SR1 playoff teams. #1KUTZ-L @AIC #2SHEP-W @SCSU #3NDC-L @ASH. #4UNH-L @BSU. #5BENT-L @WCU. #6SRU-W v ESU. #7FIND-L v ODU. Overall 2-5. Although you can give several (NDC,UNH,BENT,FIND) a pass for scheduling tough games, at the end of the season an L is an L. SOS gets a boost, but only one 2 loss and one 3 loss teams made the seven last year, so the 5 losers are an early step closer to the edge. What can you say about KUTZ except that they have the first MUST WIN game of the season in week 2 and though I'm still unsure what the VULCANS will bring on Saturday, I certainly feel more confident than I did on Wednesday.

GMAC, aside from PS#3 ASH, started their conference season and immediately had PS#1 FIND upset, at home, by PS#4 ODU. It makes it tougher especially with PS#3 ASH visiting FIND on Saturday. My guess is the OILERS get their rig upright and prevail.

MEC started out 7-5 but 3 of those Ls were by PS top 6 picks (NDC, CHAS, FASU) and all were on the ugly side. Either CHAS EAGLES or the FASU FALCONS are going to get plucked on Thursday night with a second lose which won't be good

PSAC was a tale of two divisions. West started fast at 5-2 with solid wins from #2SRU, #3CAL AND #4GAN. Travelling East on Saturday the PS top 4 are sure things ( IUP @ ESU, GAN @ MILL) in two games and favored ( SRU @ WCU, CAL @ KUTZ) in two. Beyond that SHEP will crush BORO and the rest are anyone's guess. East may be as close to over as possible in week 1.

NE10 went 3-5 but both UNH and BENT are solid teams. None of the PS Top 3 are threatened this week, unless PACE is actually decent as they travel to BENT.

We'll see with IUP and ESU.

If I had to guess, ESU was totally overlooking Pace and already mentally focused on IUP. It happens.

I hope you're right, obviously.

Comment

Gawd!
              I sucked on my picks for week one. Ugh.

Comment

Everyone is jumping on ESU for losing to Pace, but the last time Stonehill played an OT game was against Pace in 2016. Stonehill now D1, so who can predict what will happen next.

Comment

I think West Virginia State's win over Shippensburg deserves a mention. Last year Shippensburg only lost to Kutztown and Shepherd.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                    I think West Virginia State's win over Shippensburg deserves a mention. Last year Shippensburg only lost to Kutztown and Shepherd.
                    This is not last year.

Comment

CHAS EAGLES making a comeback from last week's embarrassment in Erie leading FASU FALCONS 14-0 after the first quarter. They'll get very little time to rest with FRSU visiting next Saturday and then traveling to NDC on 10/1. They can't afford to lose more than one of those two.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                        CHAS EAGLES making a comeback from last week's embarrassment in Erie leading FASU FALCONS 14-0 after the first quarter. They'll get very little time to rest with FRSU visiting next Saturday and then traveling to NDC on 10/1. They can't afford to lose more than one of those two.
                        Now 21-7 at the half.

Comment

With 2:00 left in the 4th FASU trails 21-28 but just stopped a CHAS drive at their own 20 and need an 80 yd drive to tie the score.
                          And it only took 50 seconds for the FALCONS to tie it at 28-28. OT looks likely.
                          Last edited by CALUPA69; 09-08-2022, 08:16 PM.

Comment

OT it is in Fairmont. CHAS scores on 1st drive. FASU does the same. Now FASU on offense for 2nd OT. FG is good FALCONS lead 38-35. CHAS also with a FG 38-38. CHAS fails to score on 3rd OT and FASU takes over. No go in 4th OT for FASU and CHAS puts it away with a short pass 40-28. So the EAGLES are still in contention for the post season but I wouldn't expect they'll be that way for long.

Comment

West Liberty defeated Alderson-Broaddus 30-17. After their 21-14 victory over Clarion, that has to be one of the hollowest 2-0 records I have ever seen. They get NDC next week... good luck.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X