Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It sure appears the voters agree with you. And, historically, it's awfully hard to argue.
    2022 AFCA DII Coaches Poll Voters:
    Mike Babcock, McKendree; Robert Clardy, Southwest Baptist; Jim Clements, Kutztown; Shannon Currier, Concordia-St. Paul; Jeff Farrington, North Greenville; Rich Freeman, Morehouse; Jeff Girsch, Angelo State; Marcus Hilliard, Elizabeth City State; Todd Hoffner, Minnesota State; Hunter Hughes, West Texas A&M; Chris Jensen, Oklahoma Baptist; Teddy Keaton, Allen; Jay Long, Chadron State; Shawn Lutz, Slippery Rock; Josh Lynn, Nebraska-Kearney; Scott Maxfield, Henderson State; Andy McKenzie, Assumption; Matt Mitchell, Grand Valley State; Keith Otterbein, Hillsdale; Lee Owens, Ashland; Alvin Parker, Virginia Union; Chris Pincince, New Haven; Joe Reich, Wingate; Craig Schurig, Washburn; Pete Shinnick, West Florida; Roger Waialae, West Liberty; Curtis Walker, Catawba; Paul Winters, Wayne State (Mich.); Jason Woodman, Fairmont State; John Wristen, Colorado State-Pueblo

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
      Shepherd is a good team, certainly the best in the East this season, but I think the Bagent boost has led to them being highly overrated. Their team last year was likely better. They should be down about where IUP and SR are ranked.
      Only 7 of 22 starters returned from last year, so I definitely would agree to a point that the high ranking is partially based off last year's results. I personally think the defense is better than last years. It's a younger, faster group that I think is taking to coaching a bit better than the previous group may have. Gaining experience as the season goes along, they are certainly capable of doing as much as last year's team did.

As crazy as it can seem, I think Bagent and the WR unit has been off in the first half of the season. He's still completing 68%, but there seem to be more missed opportunities than last year. The run game needs to be much more consistent as it is being propped up in effectiveness by huge chunk plays by Ronnie Brown. If it isn't a 50+ yd run, it seems like its no gain, there isn't much in the little 3-4 yard gains. The run game really came along as the year went last year, so hoping that is the case heading into the playoffs as well this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Only 7 of 22 starters returned from last year, so I definitely would agree to a point that the high ranking is partially based off last year's results. I personally think the defense is better than last years. It's a younger, faster group that I think is taking to coaching a bit better than the previous group may have. Gaining experience as the season goes along, they are certainly capable of doing as much as last year's team did.

As crazy as it can seem, I think Bagent and the WR unit has been off in the first half of the season. He's still completing 68%, but there seem to be more missed opportunities than last year. The run game needs to be much more consistent as it is being propped up in effectiveness by huge chunk plays by Ronnie Brown. If it isn't a 50+ yd run, it seems like its no gain, there isn't much in the little 3-4 yard gains. The run game really came along as the year went last year, so hoping that is the case heading into the playoffs as well this year.
        I realize they lost a lot of players and that they have some good youngsters. Still the class of the East right now. I think they benefitted from the fact that Kutztown lost some as well and some of the other teams in the division are still very young. Ship was playing six freshmen on defense for long periods of time Saturday, and I think they have only three seniors on the entire roster. When our seniorless defense faced an IUP offense that started five grad students and two seniors earlier this season, it often looked like men against boys. I'm hoping another recruiting class or two will bring us more up to speed with Shepherd and Kutztown. Both PSAC divisions need to get more competitive, especially the East.

Comment

Coaches Poll…

Slimey Pebble barely beats the Willies..moves up one slot.

IUP obliterates Clarion..drops 2 slots.

Funny.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
            Coaches Poll…

Slimey Pebble barely beats the Willies..moves up one slot.

IUP obliterates Clarion..drops 2 slots.

Funny.
            Almost as funny as Kutztown getting blown out at home yet going from unranked in the RRs to ranked (No. 10).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Almost as funny as Kutztown getting blown out at home yet going from unranked in the RRs to ranked (No. 10).
              Now, that was weird! I'm not sure how to explain it at all. I guess the SOS put them higher than the other 7-3 teams.

Comment

It doesn't make any sense. Kutztown has a performance indicator in the top 10 last week, but were presumably left out because they had fewer great wins. Now they have one more loss, and are suddenly top 10 worthy? It raises questions about the overall process.

Here are the 3-loss teams (plus WCU) with performance indicators, D2 results above .500, and results vs. ranked opponents:

Kutztown - 23.700, 0-3, 0-2
                Tiffin - 23.222, 1-3, 0-3
                Frostburg - 23.200, 3-2, 1-1
                Bentley - 22.111, 3-2, 1-1
                ODU - 21.778, 1-3, 0-2
                Pace - 21.778, 1-3, 0-3
                West Chester - 23.400, 3-2, 2-2

West Chester has the best line clearly, but if you wanna punish them for having 4 losses, fine I understand. But Frostburg is not far behind Kutztown in PI, and they have 3 wins over .500 plus 1 win over a ranked opponent (NDC). So if those were still being weighed like they were last week, I have to imagine Frostburg would be ranked 10th. Apparently, those factors are no longer being weighed in the same way.

Between the asinine decision to release an alphabetized list, and the inconsistency with which criteria the committee is applying, there should be more questions asked of the committee than ever before.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                  It doesn't make any sense. Kutztown has a performance indicator in the top 10 last week, but were presumably left out because they had fewer great wins. Now they have one more loss, and are suddenly top 10 worthy? It raises questions about the overall process.

Here are the 3-loss teams (plus WCU) with performance indicators, D2 results above .500, and results vs. ranked opponents:

Kutztown - 23.700, 0-3, 0-2
                  Tiffin - 23.222, 1-3, 0-3
                  Frostburg - 23.200, 3-2, 1-1
                  Bentley - 22.111, 3-2, 1-1
                  ODU - 21.778, 1-3, 0-2
                  Pace - 21.778, 1-3, 0-3
                  West Chester - 23.400, 3-2, 2-2

West Chester has the best line clearly, but if you wanna punish them for having 4 losses, fine I understand. But Frostburg is not far behind Kutztown in PI, and they have 3 wins over .500 plus 1 win over a ranked opponent (NDC). So if those were still being weighed like they were last week, I have to imagine Frostburg would be ranked 10th. Apparently, those factors are no longer being weighed in the same way.

Between the asinine decision to release an alphabetized list, and the inconsistency with which criteria the committee is applying, there should be more questions asked of the committee than ever before.
                  As I always say ... the 'human factor' in the process doesn't show up on any papers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

Now, that was weird! I'm not sure how to explain it at all. I guess the SOS put them higher than the other 7-3 teams.
                    Which proves the formula for regional ranking sucks and why IUP got screwed in 2006 despite whatever the spreadsheets said...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X