Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GetOily View Post

Totally agree. I know Massey isn't used but it is a solid indicator of some of the numbers that we don't really have access to and by those numbers, the G-MAC teams have the top 3 SOS in the region, have 3 in the top 7 in ranking, and 4 in the top 9. Then of course it's not necessarily getting the seven best teams, it seems more like the most deserving which, is fine. That's how the model is set up.

The problem with scheduling is that the conference has a deal with the GLVC for a crossover in which two of the non-conference weeks are automatically booked with that conference, which is a problem because sure, it's nice to get guaranteed games but, as far as SR1 goes, it does nothing to give comparable data. I think if that deal was with the MEC or the PSAC that would help a ton. Given the location of the NE10, that one isn't really possible. So while those other three conferences play games against each other and give solid data as to where teams stand, most of the G-MAC teams are on the outside of that because we're playing more games to the west rather than to the east. So it's kind of a guessing game which is like our conference just shooting itself in the foot.

So I do understand why the rankings end up the way that they do, however it is a struggle watching some teams that are likely better teams get left out. Heck, in Massey, Tiffin is a three score favorite over the team that's ranked 2nd in our region right now. Just wish the conference would be getting the credit it deserves in the rankings. Would love to hear those conversations on the RAC.

Always a fun time of year!
    I would like to see more PSAC games against the GMAC, but the problem is the PSAC only gets 1 non-conference game a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

I would like to see more PSAC games against the GMAC, but the problem is the PSAC only gets 1 non-conference game a year.
      We're basically two leagues within one league. In reality, the PSAC really doesn't need to play any OOC games. They could easily just add another crossover weekend.

It's typically just our heavyweights playing other conferences' dumpsters and our dumpsters playing other conferences' heavyweights. Week 1 this year was an incredibly unattractive lineup (and, yes, I know IUP didn't play).

Starting next year, IUP vs. Ashland (4-year deal) is a big-boy non-conference game. Both get credit for signing the deal.

It's very gutsy to schedule a big time opponent in Week 1. It also takes two to tango. Finding partners isn't easy.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

We're basically two leagues within one league. In reality, the PSAC really doesn't need to play any OOC games. They could easily just add another crossover weekend.

It's typically just our heavyweights playing other conferences' dumpsters and our dumpsters playing other conferences' heavyweights. Week 1 this year was an incredibly unattractive lineup (and, yes, I know IUP didn't play).

Starting next year, IUP vs. Ashland (4-year deal) is a big-boy non-conference game. Both get credit for signing the deal.

It's very gutsy to schedule a big time opponent in Week 1. It also takes two to tango. Finding partners isn't easy.
        It is hard to risk a loss in OOC play as an opening loss means you usually can't afford to lose more than one game in league play without risking staying home during the playoffs.

Comment

• Reminds me of back in the late 80s or early 90s Edinboro frequently opened with Hillsdale.

If we went to a full PSAC schedule, then IUP wouldn't get its Labor Day Weekend vacation schedule.

Comment

• It's a risk/reward proposition. The risk is obviously starting off with a loss before the conference season even starts. The reward is that a win gives you a ton of buffer room for slip-ups, and provides an early-season test for your team rather than a glorified bye week.

The GMAC's continued growth hopefully will reduce the need for games outside of SR1. I know it's a longer distance, but the NE-10 does regularly have open dates in the midst of their season, and some GMAC vs. NE-10 matchups could certainly benefit the GMAC's quest for two or even three playoff bids. Then week 1 we could see some headline GMAC vs. PSAC matchups, as well as some more comfortable GMAC vs. MEC matchups. Ultimately I do believe the GMAC and the PSAC will be the two premier conferences in SR1, it's just a matter of scheduling games that prove that.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
              It's a risk/reward proposition. The risk is obviously starting off with a loss before the conference season even starts. The reward is that a win gives you a ton of buffer room for slip-ups, and provides an early-season test for your team rather than a glorified bye week.

The GMAC's continued growth hopefully will reduce the need for games outside of SR1. I know it's a longer distance, but the NE-10 does regularly have open dates in the midst of their season, and some GMAC vs. NE-10 matchups could certainly benefit the GMAC's quest for two or even three playoff bids. Then week 1 we could see some headline GMAC vs. PSAC matchups, as well as some more comfortable GMAC vs. MEC matchups. Ultimately I do believe the GMAC and the PSAC will be the two premier conferences in SR1, it's just a matter of scheduling games that prove that.
              It's a pain to get up to many NE-10 schools from the PSAC West and especially the MEC and GMAC.

Indiana to Assumption (Boston) is at least 9-10 hours each way by bus.

The even bigger issue is it starts to jack up your next week, too.

The travel is the killer. If only we had jets at this level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

What’s the numbers say the top 7 is if IUP beats SU??
                Probably (1) IUP, (2) SRU, (3) SU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                  Reminds me of back in the late 80s or early 90s Edinboro frequently opened with Hillsdale.

If we went to a full PSAC schedule, then IUP wouldn't get its Labor Day Weekend vacation schedule.
                  I remember Ship playing Hillsdale in the mid-'60s. We only played an eight- or nine-game schedule in those days, and it was rare to play another small school that far out of the area. I think they beat us 35-14, which wasn't considered a bad outcome as Hillsdale was highly regarded that season, and Ship simply wasn't very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I remember Ship playing Hillsdale in the mid-'60s. We only played an eight- or nine-game schedule in those days, and it was rare to play another small school that far out of the area. I think they beat us 35-14, which wasn't considered a bad outcome as Hillsdale was highly regarded that season, and Ship simply wasn't very good.
                    I'm not sure about what classifications they were at the time, but I do miss that in the 60s and 70s the PA state colleges played the SUNY schools quite often.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I'm not sure about what classifications they were at the time, but I do miss that in the 60s and 70s the PA state colleges played the SUNY schools quite often.
                      True. I remember us playing Brockport a time or two. I think classifications at the time were basically just small college and big college. You certainly didn't have the FCS, D2, D3 setup as you do now.

Comment

• Bloomsburg opened against Ashland when I was a student (second set of a home and home, our team went out there the year before) so it’s not like GMAC games are totally undoable. I imagine the travel to some of the Ohio schools wouldn’t be that bad for our teams who are farthest west in the state. At the very least they wouldn’t be as long a drive as some of the NE-10 teams or the old days of going up to LIU/NY-Post.

Comment

• Originally posted by GetOily View Post
                          Late to the party but love some SR1 chatter.

First thought on the latest poll is, how is Assumption hanging on at #2. Sure at 7-1 in D2 games, that's all well and good. But the resume is not that impressive with some somewhat tight contests against some of the lowest ranked teams in the country (per Massey ratings). Certainly feels like the highest they should be sitting is the fifth seed right now.

Also sneaky factor I feel like might be sliding under the radar, is Tiffin a potential playoff team with a win this Saturday. A win would have them as Co-Conference Champions with Ashland and a resume of 7-3 overall and 7-1 in conference. Their three losses would be to three one-loss teams with a combined record of 26-4 (Assuming AU beats Kentucky Wesleyan and then Truman St. and Indy split). That ain't a bad season and certainly lends them a conversation. I know if that's the case, I'd certainly take them head-to-head against Gannon, Concord, New Haven, and Kutztown, and possibly Assumption, as well.
                          I was thinking the same thing about Assumption. Also, if Tiffin and AU both win, AU will be outright champs since they have the Head to Head win over Tiffin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It is hard to risk a loss in OOC play as an opening loss means you usually can't afford to lose more than one game in league play without risking staying home during the playoffs.
                            But contrary is if you win, you are in good shape.

Comment

• Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

But contrary is if you win, you are in good shape.
                              The hardest part is finding a dance partner. Look around SR1 ... how many 'good' non-conference games were there this year?

Ashland vs ND is the only one that comes to mind.

Charleston vs Gannon wasn't bad although it turned in to a blowout.

Hardly anybody is going to travel out of region for a game. There's just no money in the budgets.

On top of that, our conference powers aren't exactly lining up to play each other in Week 1.

Comment

• Shepherd had a home and home with Ohio Dominican in 2019/2021 which really helped SOS wise with ODU finishing 7-3/7-4 in those years. Hoping they can get another GMAC team or possibly Bowie State as well to get a nice thing going. Ideally, Frostburg State being an annual thing would be fantastic for recruiting purposes.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X