Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Does it matter, the 7 are SU, GU, IUP, SRU, ND, Assumption, Ashland. Order to be determined by State game results and SRU game. SRU wins 3/4 loses 7. State Winner 1 SU loses 2/3 , IUP loses 6/7..there u go.
    You're right. Seems to be pretty cut and dry. But this is college football and for some reason I think Gannon better have their crap together against Ship this weekend. They aren't good enough to overlook anyone and Ship can put it together to win one that they shouldn't.

Comment

• Yep. It doesn't matter until it does. Teams might look secure on paper, but the game is played on the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Does it matter, the 7 are SU, GU, IUP, SRU, ND, Assumption, Ashland. Order to be determined by State game results and SRU game. SRU wins 3/4 loses 7. State Winner 1 SU loses 2/3 , IUP loses 6/7..there u go.
        If IUP loses, the lowest they would drop would be 5, they get a big boost of SOS by playing an undefeated team.

Comment

• I'll get some flak for this, but I like seeing less PSAC teams in the top 7. Really gives that variety feel when playoffs roll around.

Comment

• Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

If IUP loses, the lowest they would drop would be 5, they get a big boost of SOS by playing an undefeated team.
            I expect IUP with a loss would be just behind Gannon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I expect IUP with a loss would be just behind Gannon.
              I understand the rationale with the head to head , but after this week IUP's SOS will be a lot higher than Gannon's. So if everybody in the top7 wins except for IUP, Gannon would be 6 and IUP 7???

Comment

I understand the rationale with the head to head , but after this week IUP's SOS will be a lot higher than Gannon's. So if everybody in the top7 wins except for IUP, Gannon would be 6 and IUP 7???
                I'll just say that head-to-head has always held a lot of weight when teams are evenly matched record wise.

Comment

Also, could be wrong but I think they rank only the top 4. The bottom 3 they pair up with the top 4 trying to avoid rematches and flights. They don't actually rank 5-7.

Comment

IUP has an interesting spot this Saturday.

I think a win will get them the No. 1 seed, a bye week and home field until they lose (through the Regional). A loss and they could be looking at a trip to likely Assumption or Ashland.

Lot on the line.

Most people don't think about it, but these playoff games have a big impact on the local economy -- hotels, bars, restaurants, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

I'll just say that head-to-head has always held a lot of weight when teams are evenly matched record wise.
                      IUP beat Slimey and they lost to them.

Comment

• Late to the party but love some SR1 chatter.

First thought on the latest poll is, how is Assumption hanging on at #2. Sure at 7-1 in D2 games, that's all well and good. But the resume is not that impressive with some somewhat tight contests against some of the lowest ranked teams in the country (per Massey ratings). Certainly feels like the highest they should be sitting is the fifth seed right now.

Also sneaky factor I feel like might be sliding under the radar, is Tiffin a potential playoff team with a win this Saturday. A win would have them as Co-Conference Champions with Ashland and a resume of 7-3 overall and 7-1 in conference. Their three losses would be to three one-loss teams with a combined record of 26-4 (Assuming AU beats Kentucky Wesleyan and then Truman St. and Indy split). That ain't a bad season and certainly lends them a conversation. I know if that's the case, I'd certainly take them head-to-head against Gannon, Concord, New Haven, and Kutztown, and possibly Assumption, as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by GetOily View Post
                          Late to the party but love some SR1 chatter.

First thought on the latest poll is, how is Assumption hanging on at #2. Sure at 7-1 in D2 games, that's all well and good. But the resume is not that impressive with some somewhat tight contests against some of the lowest ranked teams in the country (per Massey ratings). Certainly feels like the highest they should be sitting is the fifth seed right now.

Also sneaky factor I feel like might be sliding under the radar, is Tiffin a potential playoff team with a win this Saturday. A win would have them as Co-Conference Champions with Ashland and a resume of 7-3 overall and 7-1 in conference. Their three losses would be to three one-loss teams with a combined record of 26-4 (Assuming AU beats Kentucky Wesleyan and then Truman St. and Indy split). That ain't a bad season and certainly lends them a conversation. I know if that's the case, I'd certainly take them head-to-head against Gannon, Concord, New Haven, and Kutztown, and possibly Assumption, as well.
                          Tiffin isn't jumping from unranked to #7 unless New Haven, Concord, Gannon, and Kutztown all lose.

Kutztown is at Slippery Rock- they are the underdog so this is in play.
                          New Haven is at Southern Connecticut- SOCON is not a good team, but upset is unlikely (SOCON is 3-7)
                          Concord is at UNC Pembroke- Concord is terrible on defense. UNCP is much better at home than on the road, so upset is certainly in play here.
                          Gannon is home against Shippensburg- Unlikely upset.

Tiffin also probably has to beat out Frostburg State as well as they have a similar record. It's not impossible but very unlikely. Frostburg has a win over NDC, does Tiffin have a win that matches that win?

Comment

• Originally posted by GetOily View Post
                            Late to the party but love some SR1 chatter.

Massey is not used in the calculation. Assumption has 4 wins against teams over .500, that's what the formula is looking at, regardless of the perceived strength of those teams. They do play a complete SOS anchor in Post this week, so I expect they will finish lower than #2.

Tiffin probably gets in the top 10 with a win over Findlay, and I do believe them to be one of the best 7 teams in the region. However, they will have a tough time jumping enough teams to make it into the playoffs unless they get a lot of help. If the GMAC wants to get more teams in the playoffs, they need to start playing more of those Ashland-NDC games against the other SR1 teams rather than games against SR3, because if you win those then you also depress the SOS of the other conference. That's what ultimately matters in the playoff ranking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Also, could be wrong but I think they rank only the top 4. The bottom 3 they pair up with the top 4 trying to avoid rematches and flights. They don't actually rank 5-7.
                              Yes and no... they don't reveal the rankings, but they do rank them and if rematches and flights aren't affected they default to the 2/7 3/6 4/5 matchups.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Massey is not used in the calculation. Assumption has 4 wins against teams over .500, that's what the formula is looking at, regardless of the perceived strength of those teams. They do play a complete SOS anchor in Post this week, so I expect they will finish lower than #2.

Tiffin probably gets in the top 10 with a win over Findlay, and I do believe them to be one of the best 7 teams in the region. However, they will have a tough time jumping enough teams to make it into the playoffs unless they get a lot of help. If the GMAC wants to get more teams in the playoffs, they need to start playing more of those Ashland-NDC games against the other SR1 teams rather than games against SR3, because if you win those then you also depress the SOS of the other conference. That's what ultimately matters in the playoff ranking.
                                Interesting question is going to be where does the loser of the State Game fall?

If Shepherd wins, the Rams will be undefeated and the No. 1 seed. No questions asked. But, if they lose, things get interesting for them. I think to date, Shepherd's opponents have a 41-56 record. Obviously, playing IUP will be an SOS boost. But, what would a loss do? I'd guess SRU and Assumption passes them. Ashland also has one loss and it's not a great one. Shepherd's only loss would be to the No. 1 seed on the road.

If IUP wins, I think they get the top seed. That would give them two wins against teams currently in the (actual) Top 5 of the RRs. Their only loss would have been on the road to another team in the actual RRs. An IUP loss this weekend ... I think they'd still be invited to the dance but could drop pretty far down the pecking order.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X