Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Interesting question is going to be where does the loser of the State Game fall?

If Shepherd wins, the Rams will be undefeated and the No. 1 seed. No questions asked. But, if they lose, things get interesting for them. I think to date, Shepherd's opponents have a 41-56 record. Obviously, playing IUP will be an SOS boost. But, what would a loss do? I'd guess SRU and Assumption passes them. Ashland also has one loss and it's not a great one. Shepherd's only loss would be to the No. 1 seed on the road.

If IUP wins, I think they get the top seed. That would give them two wins against teams currently in the (actual) Top 5 of the RRs. Their only loss would have been on the road to another team in the actual RRs. An IUP loss this weekend ... I think they'd still be invited to the dance but could drop pretty far down the pecking order.
    I agree, could see Shepherd sliding down as low as 5th possibly due to the SOS thing. Human element may keep them higher I guess since the Rams have looked mostly impressive against a not so stellar PSAC east for the most part.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Massey is not used in the calculation. Assumption has 4 wins against teams over .500, that's what the formula is looking at, regardless of the perceived strength of those teams. They do play a complete SOS anchor in Post this week, so I expect they will finish lower than #2.

Tiffin probably gets in the top 10 with a win over Findlay, and I do believe them to be one of the best 7 teams in the region. However, they will have a tough time jumping enough teams to make it into the playoffs unless they get a lot of help. If the GMAC wants to get more teams in the playoffs, they need to start playing more of those Ashland-NDC games against the other SR1 teams rather than games against SR3, because if you win those then you also depress the SOS of the other conference. That's what ultimately matters in the playoff ranking.
      Totally agree. I know Massey isn't used but it is a solid indicator of some of the numbers that we don't really have access to and by those numbers, the G-MAC teams have the top 3 SOS in the region, have 3 in the top 7 in ranking, and 4 in the top 9. Then of course it's not necessarily getting the seven best teams, it seems more like the most deserving which, is fine. That's how the model is set up.

The problem with scheduling is that the conference has a deal with the GLVC for a crossover in which two of the non-conference weeks are automatically booked with that conference, which is a problem because sure, it's nice to get guaranteed games but, as far as SR1 goes, it does nothing to give comparable data. I think if that deal was with the MEC or the PSAC that would help a ton. Given the location of the NE10, that one isn't really possible. So while those other three conferences play games against each other and give solid data as to where teams stand, most of the G-MAC teams are on the outside of that because we're playing more games to the west rather than to the east. So it's kind of a guessing game which is like our conference just shooting itself in the foot.

So I do understand why the rankings end up the way that they do, however it is a struggle watching some teams that are likely better teams get left out. Heck, in Massey, Tiffin is a three score favorite over the team that's ranked 2nd in our region right now. Just wish the conference would be getting the credit it deserves in the rankings. Would love to hear those conversations on the RAC.

Always a fun time of year!

Comment

Interesting question is going to be where does the loser of the State Game fall?

If Shepherd wins, the Rams will be undefeated and the No. 1 seed. No questions asked. But, if they lose, things get interesting for them. I think to date, Shepherd's opponents have a 41-56 record. Obviously, playing IUP will be an SOS boost. But, what would a loss do? I'd guess SRU and Assumption passes them. Ashland also has one loss and it's not a great one. Shepherd's only loss would be to the No. 1 seed on the road.

If IUP wins, I think they get the top seed. That would give them two wins against teams currently in the (actual) Top 5 of the RRs. Their only loss would have been on the road to another team in the actual RRs. An IUP loss this weekend ... I think they'd still be invited to the dance but could drop pretty far down the pecking order.
        They already have passed them.

If Shepherd loses I can't think they would fall below 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

They already have passed them.

If Shepherd loses I can't think they would fall below 4.
          Assumption hasn't passed Shepherd yet. The paragraph you're referencing is about Shepherd (not IUP).

Comment

• So from what I’m reading, Davenport could be placed in Region 1 to avoid flights.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
              So from what I’m reading, Davenport could be placed in Region 1 to avoid flights.
              Rematches are another reason. It's most likely that any host in SR3 that's within 600 miles of Davenport will be someone they played in the regular season.

Comment

• I just ran some numbers and if all the SR1 favorites win this week I expect the top 7 to be as follows:

1. Shepherd
                2. Slippery Rock
                3. Assumption
                4. Ashland
                5. Gannon
                6. Indiana
                7. Notre Dame

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                  I just ran some numbers and if all the SR1 favorites win this week I expect the top 7 to be as follows:

1. Shepherd
                  2. Slippery Rock
                  3. Assumption
                  4. Ashland
                  5. Gannon
                  6. Indiana
                  7. Notre Dame
                  I wouldn't bank on that happening just yet.

Comment

I just ran some numbers and if all the SR1 favorites win this week I expect the top 7 to be as follows:

1. Shepherd
                    2. Slippery Rock
                    3. Assumption
                    4. Ashland
                    5. Gannon
                    6. Indiana
                    7. Notre Dame
                    3 of 7 out of PSAC West

Comment

3 of 7 out of PSAC West
                      I think these 7 will be the field unless Gannon or Notre Dame loses.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                        So from what I’m reading, Davenport could be placed in Region 1 to avoid flights.
                        So if they get moved in who gets moved out?

ND or Ashland?

Comment

• My guess is NDC gets moved out, since Ashland will most likely be one of the 4 seeds.

Comment

• If IUP wins the PSAC they will be the number 1 overall seed. FACT.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post
                              If IUP wins the PSAC they will be the number 1 overall seed. FACT.
                              You are a jackass. FACT!

Comment

1. Shepherd
                                2. Slippery Rock
                                3. Assumption
                                4. Ashland
                                5. Gannon
                                6. Indiana
                                7. Notre Dame
                                What’s the numbers say the top 7 is if IUP beats SU??

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X