Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Just really surprised me to see that goose egg. Can't say that about many teams.
    Not a goose egg, but it's 5-1 currently.

Comment

This one's really surprising: IUP's all-time record vs. Shepherd.
      Look at IUP vs Grand Valley.

Eagles vs Stiller’s is eye opening too. The Yinzers haven’t won in Philly in 57 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I got some heavy perspective when North Dakota State came into Ship for the D-II quarterfinals in 1981. I'd never before seen a triple option where the QB would be five yards past scrimmage before pitching to the trail back. It was devastating.

The final was 18-6 NDSU, but that was only a testament to the grittiness of that Shippensburg team. These were two teams on completely different levels.

The next time I saw the triple option run like that was when Bo Orlando quarterbacked Berwick to the mythical national HS title. Bo fashioned a nice little NFL career on defense, but he could have been a superb college option QB, too.
        I remember that game as being a little more competitive than that as it was 6-6 at halftime. North Dakota State was the better team, but I felt their-bend=don't break defense was what really won the game for them as much as the option offense. Ship moved the ball well between the 20s, but as they approached the red zone, ND State tightened up and effectively blanketed Ship receivers, resulting in coverage sacks and incompletions.The Bison had good size for those days — a couple of tackles at 290 pounds or so and some rangy DBs who were well over 6 feet tall. A 290-pound tackle doesn't seem like anything special these days, but in 1981, a couple of years before the "Refrigerator" Perry era that marked the onset of athletic 300-pounders it seemed huge. ND State was not a particularly speedy team, but they definitely wore down Ship in the second half. Some D2 teams now have lines heavier on average than the NFL teams of that era.

You can go at it from a couple of different ways, but I thought that holding a Ship offense that had averaged about 29 points a game and had just hung up 40 on a talented Virginia Union team the week before was a key to the Bison victory. Funny to look back on that year and think of Ship in the PSAC West, sweeping their way through IUP, Cal, and Slippery Rock that season. What is really unbelievable in light of today's circumstances is that Lock Haven was also in the PSAC West then and that a Ship team unbeaten in the regular season only beat them 24-20. How things have changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

Not a goose egg, but it's 5-1 currently.
          According to IUP's page it 5-0

https://iupathletics.com/sports/foot...-university/14

Comment

Well, they're wrong. IUP beat Shepherd in the 2012 playoffs, 27-17.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Geez. Forgive me, oh mighty one.
              I wasn't sure which team you were talking about in your previous post which I replied to, but it certainly couldn't have been Cal for as bad as they've been this season (compared to past seasons).
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

Well, they're wrong. IUP beat Shepherd in the 2012 playoffs, 27-17.
                True.

Shepherd won in 1998 (9-6), 2007 (41-34), 2015 (17-13), 2019 (31-27) and 2021 (37-21).
                IUP won in 2012 (as you said, 27-17).
                http://www.indianagazette.com
                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I remember that game as being a little more competitive than that as it was 6-6 at halftime. North Dakota State was the better team, but I felt their-bend=don't break defense was what really won the game for them as much as the option offense. Ship moved the ball well between the 20s, but as they approached the red zone, ND State tightened up and effectively blanketed Ship receivers, resulting in coverage sacks and incompletions.The Bison had good size for those days — a couple of tackles at 290 pounds or so and some rangy DBs who were well over 6 feet tall. A 290-pound tackle doesn't seem like anything special these days, but in 1981, a couple of years before the "Refrigerator" Perry era that marked the onset of athletic 300-pounders it seemed huge. ND State was not a particularly speedy team, but they definitely wore down Ship in the second half. Some D2 teams now have lines heavier on average than the NFL teams of that era.

You can go at it from a couple of different ways, but I thought that holding a Ship offense that had averaged about 29 points a game and had just hung up 40 on a talented Virginia Union team the week before was a key to the Bison victory. Funny to look back on that year and think of Ship in the PSAC West, sweeping their way through IUP, Cal, and Slippery Rock that season. What is really unbelievable in light of today's circumstances is that Lock Haven was also in the PSAC West then and that a Ship team unbeaten in the regular season only beat them 24-20. How things have changed.
                  IUP had a decade of malaise in foosball ftom the mid 70’s until Big Guy came to campus and hired Chaump.
                  Last edited by IUPNation; 11-07-2022, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

IUP had a decade of malaise in foosball ftom the mid 80’s until Big Guy came to campus and hired Chaump.
                    I think you mean mid-70's.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think you mean mid-70's.
                      I did.

Beating IUP in 1981 wasn’t a big deal. IUP really didn’t take off until

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post
                        IM NOT SCARED OF YOU!! IM ABOUT TO RUN YOU OFF THIS BOARD!
                        Highly unlikely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Highly unlikely.
                          LMAO!!

I was so waiting for this response.

Pull the plug on him Brandon!!

Comment

Highly unlikely.
                            AWESOME!!! That guy is out of control. You can't run the IUPNation off the board!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

AWESOME!!! That guy is out of control. You can't run the IUPNation off the board!
                              He was trying to run FightingScot off the board.

I mean we all know I’ll fight for hours, days, weeks, months and years on end. :-)

Comment

Highly unlikely.
                                Talk about a two word ball-shriveling response!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X