Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the coaches might have overlooked Sexton at QB because a disproportionate amount of IUP’s passing game (over 50% of the team’s passing TDs and almost 40% of the team’s passing yards) flowed through one receiver who won the OPOY award for the West.

Comment

Sexton is the winning QB and the MVP of the conference championship. He is the only QB who can say that.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
        Sexton is the winning QB and the MVP of the conference championship. He is the only QB who can say that.
        That was simply tossing a bone in a different direction to a different dog. These things get political.

Sexton not at least 2nd team is hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post
          I think the coaches might have overlooked Sexton at QB because a disproportionate amount of IUP’s passing game (over 50% of the team’s passing TDs and almost 40% of the team’s passing yards) flowed through one receiver who won the OPOY award for the West.
          It could be, If the votes were done before the PSAC Championship game. But the pass efficiency alone is huge. And then there is the eye test. What throws are they making, How many yds are on screen passes, or from yards after catch ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Sexton vs PSAC West QBs

2nd in completion %
            4th in passing yards
            1st in TDs
            3rd in YPG
            1st in passing efficiency
            5th in completions per game
            1st in yards per completion
            2nd in points responsible for

Clearly the best and its not even close!! Now back to reality, probably enough for 2nd team but coaches are more familiar with Grover.
            Let's look more deeply at the stats

1st in passing efficiency -Mak was 173,5 Curtis 157.6
            1st in TDs 29 vs 27
            2nd in points responsible for - Who cares if he scrambles or sneaks for a couple of TDs
            2nd in completion % - Mak was 65.3 and was 2nd to Mitchell who was 65.5 - grover 63.6, and Curtis 62.6 -
            3rd in YPG - Grover and Curtis were both 261.7 while Mak was a paltry 255 and Grover was in a pass heavy offense.

4th in passing yards -again who cares, depends on how many pass plays
            5th in completions per game - Who cares, he threw less passes per game.

There's no statistical argument to not be at least 2nd Team, could earn first team.

Comment

Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Travesty alert, kid is Third in the country in pass efficiency with over 270 attempts….enough said
              But we're not looking at the country. This is the PSAC West. These are basically the only stats we have to go off of.

Curtis Grover Sexton
              Completion % 4th 3rd 2nd
              Passing Yards per Game 2nd 1st 3rd
              Touchdowns 2nd 3rd 1st
              Interceptions (fewest) 1st 3rd 2nd
              Passing Efficiency 2nd 3rd 1st
              Completions per Game 2nd 1st 3rd
              Yards per Completion 2nd 3rd 1st
              Points Responsible For per Game 1st 3rd 2nd
              AVERAGE 2.0 2.5 1.875

I was wrong. Sexton probably should have been 1st team. But I also think Erik Raeburn should have been Coach of the Year.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

It could be, If the votes were done before the PSAC Championship game. But the pass efficiency alone is huge. And then there is the eye test. What throws are they making, How many yds are on screen passes, or from yards after catch ?
                Off topic, but I have always had a problem with QBs getting credit for yards or TDs after the catch. Kind of like a baseball pitcher getting credit for a win.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Let's look more deeply at the stats

1st in passing efficiency -Mak was 173,5 Curtis 157.6
                  1st in TDs 29 vs 27
                  2nd in points responsible for - Who cares if he scrambles or sneaks for a couple of TDs
                  2nd in completion % - Mak was 65.3 and was 2nd to Mitchell who was 65.5 - grover 63.6, and Curtis 62.6 -
                  3rd in YPG - Grover and Curtis were both 261.7 while Mak was a paltry 255 and Grover was in a pass heavy offense.

4th in passing yards -again who cares, depends on how many pass plays
                  5th in completions per game - Who cares, he threw less passes per game.

There's no statistical argument to not be at least 2nd Team, could earn first team.
                  Agreed, Sexton should have been at least 2nd team. Ryan Beach WR shepherd making first team in the East is a lazy selection as well. He is a great player, but he didn't even crack 400 yds this year due to injuries and teams keying on him a little more than last year.

Comment

Sexton is also coming back to IUP next year. The other two are done. That does sometimes play a factor in these awards.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Only thing I'd say is that Footman did almost all of his damage in the final five games. But for pure impact, you betcha.

And yes, it's hard to imagine Redd Douglas not being the East's most dangerous kick returner.
                      Yeah, Brown is a tremendous all-around player, but Douglas actually led all of Division II in kick-return yardage and was second in the country in average per return. Hard to beat that. He was instrumental in the wins over Seton Hill and Gannon. He also had 662 yards receiving on a Ship team that went through three freshman quarterbacks and had a young o-line that often struggled.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Agreed, Sexton should have been at least 2nd team. Ryan Beach WR shepherd making first team in the East is a lazy selection as well. He is a great player, but he didn't even crack 400 yds this year due to injuries and teams keying on him a little more than last year.
                        I didn't notice Beach on the team (too busy looking for Ship guys, I guess), but I agree with everything you said. I think part of it is the Bagent effect where his efficiency calls attention to the entire Shepherd offensive corps. Ian Sheehan made the second team for Ship, but his stats were also down some as he was slowed by injury (missed two games) and also, like Beach, had more attention paid to him this season.

Comment

Off topic, but I have always had a problem with QBs getting credit for yards or TDs after the catch. Kind of like a baseball pitcher getting credit for a win.
                          No its not like that. There are some QBs whose longest pass was on a Jet Sweep, they tossed it a yd forward, and the back breaks a long one. Screen passes the same thing. Very different than Down field passes, so the stats are really dependent on the style the team plays, and on who is catching the passes. Basically its not a great stat for comparison.

Comment

But we're not looking at the country. This is the PSAC West. These are basically the only stats we have to go off of.

Curtis Grover Sexton
                            Completion % 4th 3rd 2nd
                            Passing Yards per Game 2nd 1st 3rd
                            Touchdowns 2nd 3rd 1st
                            Interceptions (fewest) 1st 3rd 2nd
                            Passing Efficiency 2nd 3rd 1st
                            Completions per Game 2nd 1st 3rd
                            Yards per Completion 2nd 3rd 1st
                            Points Responsible For per Game 1st 3rd 2nd
                            AVERAGE 2.0 2.5 1.875
                            I was wrong. Sexton probably should have been 1st team. But I also think Erik Raeburn should have been Coach of the Year.
                            This table shows it all in terms of stats. Add on leading your team to the division and conference championships and Sexton should be on there. Correct me if I'm wrong but the awards are based on 8 votes, aren't they? Looks like somebody slipped up with their vote, although it is close between the three. I wouldn't be surprised if Sexton fares better in regional voting.

Comment

I've often said that I think interceptions should be scored kind of like errors in baseball. Maybe the SID charges the INT to the QB is he caused it, or to the TEAM if he didn't.

A perfectly thrown pass hits the receiver in the chest, he doesn't get his hands on it, the ball bounces off him, a DB picks it off, and people on a random college football messageboard start saying the QB sucks.

A receiver runs the wrong route, the QB puts the ball where he should, a waiting DB picks it off, and people on a random college football messageboard start saying the QB sucks.

It happens.
                              http://www.indianagazette.com
                              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

This table shows it all in terms of stats. Add on leading your team to the division and conference championships and Sexton should be on there. Correct me if I'm wrong but the awards are based on 8 votes, aren't they? Looks like somebody slipped up with their vote, although it is close between the three. I wouldn't be surprised if Sexton fares better in regional voting.
                                Yes 8 votes from head coaches, and this division frequently has several very good QBs. We're also forgetting the role of Mitchell at Cal in all of this. I'm not sure exactly how voting works but its possible that a weighted ranking or something similar hurt him with so many options. I think its also fair to suspect that Sexton is the victim of bias against IUP.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X