Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

This is a foolish argument. Who is picked where before a season starts when nobody knows anything about how the year is going to unfold means nothing. Then to say IUP is exactly where everyone thought they’d be and not give credit to the head coach is laughable. Any coach will tell you it’s way more difficult to coach with expectations than without them. To be picked first and end up first is not easy.

Gannon isn’t even in the playoffs and they had a golden opportunity to get there by simply beating a mediocre Shippensburg team. Yes, they had their one shining moment against IUP, but at the end of the day IUP is the PSAC Champion and #1 in the region heading into the playoffs. Results trump cute stories. Why should Raeburn get extra credit because the program is traditionally mediocre but then this year they had a “nice” year and “almost” made the playoffs?

To be honest, if we were taking the 'good story' approach for Coach of the Year, I'd probably vote for Clarion's coach over Gannon's. The Golden Eagles entered 2022 on a 17-game losing streak and just about every good player they had left from last year transferred out prior to his arrival (which took forever). Winning (3) games this year was impressive.

That would be the 'feel good' story. Gannon lost twice at home -- including a win-and-you're-in game against a team they should have clobbered.

I also have to disagree with the "IUP is exactly where everybody thought they'd be" comment. Well, just using this board as a reference, just about 'everybody' picked IUP to lose last week in our weekly contest (including some IUP fans). Tort had IUP ready to roll last week even without Duane Brown. That's elite coaching. Results -- not cute good stories -- should win COY.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post

Gannon was also preseason #4 in the west and finished in a tie for first. They also beat IUP.

IUP is exactly where everyone thought they'd be.
      I don't know what criteria the actual voters use, but this resembles my thinking. If you outperform your peer expectations or clearly outclass everyone else in the division. To me, that's Gannon. The same way Lustig deserved it back in 2016 or whatever that was Edinboro went from 0-11 to 9-2.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

To be honest, if we were taking the 'good story' approach for Coach of the Year, I'd probably vote for Clarion's coach over Gannon's. The Golden Eagles entered 2022 on a 17-game losing streak and just about every good player they had left from last year transferred out prior to his arrival (which took forever). Winning (3) games this year was impressive.

That would be the 'feel good' story. Gannon lost twice at home -- including a win-and-you're-in game against a team they should have clobbered.

I also have to disagree with the "IUP is exactly where everybody thought they'd be" comment. Well, just using this board as a reference, just about 'everybody' picked IUP to lose last week in our weekly contest (including some IUP fans). Tort had IUP ready to roll last week even without Duane Brown. That's elite coaching. Results -- not cute good stories -- should win COY.
        Yes but Paul Hackett or maybe any of us could have won 9 games at IUP this year with that roster. I've been told IUP has the best RB in the region and the best QB in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Yes but Paul Hackett or maybe any of us could have won 9 games at IUP this year with that roster. I've been told IUP has the best RB in the region and the best QB in the country.
          FACTS!

lol

Comment

Don’t forget the best WR in the country, or possibly the entirety of the universe. FACT!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

Don’t forget the best WR in the country, or possibly the entirety of the universe. FACT!
              Yep. And I don't say that in jest as a slight to Tortorella. He's a damn good coach. Just saying that with that roster, there's a lot of cushion if a bad coach were there.

Comment

Haters gonna hate

Comment

Yep. And I don't say that in jest as a slight to Tortorella. He's a damn good coach. Just saying that with that roster, there's a lot of cushion if a bad coach were there.
                  That's a moot point because Tort is entirely responsible for the roster. He recruited them all and built the team.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That's a moot point because Tort is entirely responsible for the roster. He recruited them all and built the team.
                    That's a HEAVILY home-grown program right now. Very few transfers.

Now, I suspect he'll buy a few DL's this off-season out of the portal. Other than that, they have a ton coming back next year -- including the returns of Derek Lockhart and Tyrone Fowler.

Interesting item is Tort's big star punter from a year ago also missed this whole season with injury. Seems he now has a new star punter. That will be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP was loaded this year. remember.

Shepherd lost a lot.

I know some of the IUP crew like to downplay when it suits. Be Alabama when it suits. Whichever for the current argument.

I remember loaded all summer. While Shepherd lost a lot. SRU lost a lot.

Ppl picking against IUP wasnt about being the favorite all summer cuz they were. It was about getting torched by Gannon with Bagent coming into town.

Maybe not being a clear favorite against a Shepherd team that struggle with the two decent teams they played all year it telling to how IUP was playing. Because talent wise they shouldve been clear favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

No transfers? really? I thought Sexton was. Who's the qb if it isnt sexton?

Comment

This is a foolish argument. Who is picked where before a season starts when nobody knows anything about how the year is going to unfold means nothing. Then to say IUP is exactly where everyone thought they’d be and not give credit to the head coach is laughable. Any coach will tell you it’s way more difficult to coach with expectations than without them. To be picked first and end up first is not easy.

Gannon isn’t even in the playoffs and they had a golden opportunity to get there by simply beating a mediocre Shippensburg team. Yes, they had their one shining moment against IUP, but at the end of the day IUP is the PSAC Champion and #1 in the region heading into the playoffs. Results trump cute stories. Why should Raeburn get extra credit because the program is traditionally mediocre but then this year they had a “nice” year and “almost” made the playoffs?
                          Not really. Picked 4th to share the west a lot of times would win COY.

I dont care either way. But it wouldnt have surprised me if he had won.
                          Last edited by EdinboroFB; 11-18-2022, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Noooooo ... Ship didn't get "gifted" that win. They checked the necessary boxes.
                            Lots of sarcasm in that post.

But Gannon outgained SHip by about 120 yds. Should win those games.

Fumbling the punt at their own 36 was also a game changer.

I didnt understand going for it on the 50 in the 3rd qtr either. That was basically a turnover itself.

It was a classic let down spot. Coming off two huge wins. playing a 4-6 team and Looking forward to the next week.

Basically the sandwich game scenario. Perfect example of that was Liberty losing to UConn last week as 14 pt favorites.

Liberty was coming off beating Arkansas in Arkansas. Going on the road to UConn. With another P5 school coming on deck in Va Tech.

Liberty lost the game.

Comment

Actually, any coach will tell you it's easiest to win the conference with the most talented team also.

And harder to win the conference with the 4th most talented team.

Whos not giving credit to the coach for winning. I said an argument Raeburn could easily have won COY.

You IUP guys whining is "laughable"

Comment

Another reason Grover shouldnt of been 2nd team over Sexton.

Grover was a main reason SRU lost the game by throwing 2 picks in the endzone in the first half. If he throws 2 td instead. SRU might of won that game.

It's unfortunate when the all conference team is a lifetime achievement award. Seems to happen a lot though.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X