Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shepherd in Semi-Finals

SR1 is arguably the weakest super region in D-II football. In large part due to it’s history in the semi-finals and resulting lack of national championships. Shepherd will be playing in its 5th national semi-final dating back to 2010. Despite the Rams’ 1-3 record, they don’t have a history of being blown out.

2010 at Delta State (L 17-29)

Trailed 14-17 at halftime, intercepted Delta State passes twice in the third quarter. Came out flat-footed following a lengthy severe downpour/lightning delay. Missed a lengthy FG late in the 3rd to tie it up, and struggled to regain any momentum.

2015 vs Grand Valley State (W 34-32)
    Arguably the single-greatest game-day experience at Ram Stadium. And sure, the win helped. The weather was sunny and relatively warm for December. And there wasn’t an available spot anywhere in the stadium. The atmosphere was intense. And the game was intense. And Shepherd loss starting QB Jeff Ziemba early to injury, relying on its backup QB, Connor Jessop, to make it happen. Plays were made on offense, plays were made on defense. Shepherd didn’t get lucky in this one. They squared up against the Lakers and out-played them.

True, the beat down came a week later losing to NW MO State 7-34 for what amounted to a home game for the Bearcats where 85-90% of the full stadium were Bearcat fans who made the relatively short drive down.

2016 vs North Alabama (L 13-23)

Down by 7 mid-3rd quarter. Tough sledding against this to-be D-I FCS team. Huge plays late to make a game of it called back by some odd penalties. But in fairness, struggled against a very tough UNA team—but kept it close and made a game of it.

2021 at Ferris State (L 7-55)
    I hope Shepherd doesn’t draw Ferris State next week—it’s not your typical revenge game (queue Kutztown and IUP) … players, coaches, fans, by-standers might still suffer some shell shock from that game. This one was, undoubtedly, SR1 getting blown out in the Semi-Finals. In fairness to the Rams, the eventual national champion defeated Grand Valley State 54-20 and NW MO State 41-20 to get to Shepherd; and then won the Natty defeating Valdosta State 58-17.

And it makes sense …

… the enrollments, graduating classes and alumni base are much larger at so many of the institutions outside of SR1. The financial resources (larger donor base) lead to D-1 FBS quality facilities. There are fewer D-1 and D-2 schools out west to compete for all of the talent in those regions.

But history shows Shepherd can compete for a chance to play in the national championship game. Five appearances in the semi-finals in 12 seasons is a great ride. Now it’s time to increase those natty appearances. Hopefully that’s where the Rams will meet Ferris State.

You just won a trip to Colorado.

Comment

Should be a hell of a game in Golden next week! Exciting to watch the two best QBs in D2 football battle it out. Do y’all see this game as a near toss-up or leaning more towards one team?

Comment

Originally posted by FortLewis4Lyfe View Post
        Should be a hell of a game in Golden next week! Exciting to watch the two best QBs in D2 football battle it out. Do y’all see this game as a near toss-up or leaning more towards one team?
        Shepherd's the underdog. We all know it. I don't think you'll find a delusional fan base here.

Comment

Look forward to the matchup, Mines has been great this year, they aren’t perfect but should be interesting to see how these teams matchup. Especially Bagnet and Matocha! Good luck next week!

Comment

Originally posted by FortLewis4Lyfe View Post
            I watched a good bit of the CO. Mines at Angelo State game because of the later start time. Their QB is legit. He’ll beat you with his arm and his feet. The Rams defense is going to have a very tough challenge next week. Add in the altitude possibly being a factor, I’d say a Shepherd win would be an upset.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
              You just won a trip to Colorado.
              I liked Shepherd’s chances the best against West Florida. At the same time, I’m glad it’s not Ferris State. Although the weather could be just like last year’s semi-final up at Big Rapids.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepAlum View Post

I liked Shepherd’s chances the best against West Florida. At the same time, I’m glad it’s not Ferris State. Although the weather could be just like last year’s semi-final up at Big Rapids.
                Sunny and 39 next Saturday so far…

West Flori-duh stabs everyone in The heart this time of the year.

Comment

I know Shepherd will be the underdog in this game. Co Mines is a great team with a great QB. But the Rams are definitely playing their best ball. Need to lean on the running game and keep their offense off the field. Bagent will get his yards. Win the turnover battle and we can win. The altitude thing is a little overrated. Maybe for us 60 plus year olds, but the young guys won’t feel it as much. 😂. Best of luck to the Rams, very proud of you guys.

Comment

I know this is always cliché, but the matchup in the trenches will go a long way to deciding this game. SR1 will always be the underdog until it starts making some noise nationally. Shepherd is working hard on becoming fully funded through the hard work of AD Chauncey Winbush and other alumni. Colorado Mines leads the nation in sacks with 61 and they bring a lot of pressure even to stop the run. Their offensive line has given up 29 sacks, so it could be an interesting matchup of quarterbacks under duress.

Comment

The game in Shepherdstown against Grand Valley State in 2015 was my all time favorite. Packed stadium, great weather, two good teams. Wish I could find the video of that game to replay. I thought Shepherd competed well in the UNA and Delta State games and I thought (despite what others were saying) they could compete against Ferris State but that turned out to be ugly. I don't know much about the Mines but I think Shepherd's offense gives them a chance but I think the travel makes it a little more difficult. The defense really has to play well.

Anyone know how this game will be broadcast? Will it be available through the PSAC app? By the way, the IUP broadcast of the last game was really very good. The guys who called the game were fans of IUP but they obviously did their research on Shepherd and knew player names, stats, etc. and were very even on their commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by wvftballfan View Post
                        The game in Shepherdstown against Grand Valley State in 2015 was my all time favorite. Packed stadium, great weather, two good teams. Wish I could find the video of that game to replay. I thought Shepherd competed well in the UNA and Delta State games and I thought (despite what others were saying) they could compete against Ferris State but that turned out to be ugly. I don't know much about the Mines but I think Shepherd's offense gives them a chance but I think the travel makes it a little more difficult. The defense really has to play well.

Anyone know how this game will be broadcast? Will it be available through the PSAC app? By the way, the IUP broadcast of the last game was really very good. The guys who called the game were fans of IUP but they obviously did their research on Shepherd and knew player names, stats, etc. and were very even on their commentary.
                        ESPN+ only from what I understand…

Comment

Originally posted by RamPride View Post

ESPN+ only from what I understand…
                          https://plus.espn.com/college

Comment

Originally posted by Ramhead View Post
                            Looks ike FS and WF start at 12:00 PM and Shep. vs CSOM at 3:30 PM.

Comment

I'm feeling optimistic about this weekend. Mines has given up some points the last few weeks in the playoffs, and I have to think that our offense is at least on par and possibly better than any of the one's that they have played thus far. I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but if we can be balanced and get Ronnie his touches, I think Tyson can make some plays to keep us there. The young WR's for the Rams just need to relax and play their game, don't try to win it with one play.

The RMAC conference Mines is from is not highly thought of, similar to our own conference. They did play a monster OOC slate with GV and Angelo State, dropping both but avenging the Angelo State one last week. I feel somewhat comfortable in saying this is not the Ferris State juggernaut from last year who blew everyone's doors off in the playoffs.

The Mines QB is a baller though, guy is going to be very difficult to handle. I think our team speed on defense will help possibly neutralize his scrambling ability, but the pass rush has to keep him in the pocket and get in his face as well. Their RB is a bruiser too, so will be interesting to see with our smaller LB's how that goes deeper into the game.

I think this is going to be a nail biter.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X