Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 Recruiting Thread

Not sure if anyone is paying attention but Lock Haven has had an impressive start to the offseason...all things considered. They've landed some solid midyears and have already had a few high school kids commit which is impressive this early for any D2. One thing is for certain, if coach Mulrooney isn't successful there it will not be due to lack of effort or fear of trying something new/different. Good to see some different things happening there and maybe a little momentum building? Hope it translates to the field next fall, long way to go but seems to be some positive energy.

Originally posted by CUlater View Post
    Not sure if anyone is paying attention but Lock Haven has had an impressive start to the offseason...all things considered. They've landed some solid midyears and have already had a few high school kids commit which is impressive this early for any D2. One thing is for certain, if coach Mulrooney isn't successful there it will not be due to lack of effort or fear of trying something new/different. Good to see some different things happening there and maybe a little momentum building? Hope it translates to the field next fall, long way to go but seems to be some positive energy.
    One can't not ask, however, what mid-year (of any quality) would possibly want to go there?

Comment

Agreed. He's brought energy to that program that hasn't been seen in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

One can't not ask, however, what mid-year (of any quality) would possibly want to go there?
        It’s a fair question, I guess it would be one who is buying into the energy and vision that the new head guy is selling. We know there isn’t a lot of money to go around so I think that’s the only answer?

Comment

It’s a fair question, I guess it would be one who is buying into the energy and vision that the new head guy is selling. We know there isn’t a lot of money to go around so I think that’s the only answer?
          I guess. But, it's a broken record. The last 8 guys all had the same spunk, etc.

Comment

I think PSAC coaches have to sell the whole campus experience, Not just football but the academics, social environment, etc. So, I think the LHU coach can offer an experience that appeals to some prospects. BTW, Tort seems to do a great job at selling the entire IUP experience.

I thought LHU got some decent transfers in the coach's first class but it didn't work out. I guess we'll see what his learning curve is like as time goes on but you can't stop trying (unless they pull the plug on the program).

Comment

Speaking of Lock Haven, they got a big commitment in early December from DL Rakeem Refile (6'4", 300 lbs). His stock has taken off like a rocket the past month.

Long story short, he committed to Lock Haven in early December. Since then, several others have come at him with offers (IUP, West Chester, Shippensburg and Millersville). I get the sense some lower D1's are also now snooping around.

He was "1,000% Committed" to Lock Haven. It will be interesting to see if they can get him to sign the dotted line. Verbal commitments, of course, don't mean a thing, and, of course, there's blood in the water now. The sharks are circling. IUP will likely offer more money and a winning program. West Chester will offer a 'meal plan', etc. SRU probably won't be far behind.

But, even on a small scale (down here in the bus leagues) it just goes to show you nobody cares about the verbal commitments. The recruiting show typically just intensifies.

He'd be a huge get for the Bald Eagles. At this point, however, I have serious doubts they land him.

Comment

Where do you all find this PSAC/d2 recruiting info?

Comment

Originally posted by TDBoi8136 View Post
                  Where do you all find this PSAC/d2 recruiting info?
                  The world of Twitter is the best resource along with 'some' direct info from close to the program.

Like I said above D2 is tricky because football signing day is still more than a month out. So all you see now are verbals (which change constantly).

Comment

Speaking of Lock Haven, they got a big commitment in early December from DL Rakeem Refile (6'4", 300 lbs). His stock has taken off like a rocket the past month.

Long story short, he committed to Lock Haven in early December. Since then, several others have come at him with offers (IUP, West Chester, Shippensburg and Millersville). I get the sense some lower D1's are also now snooping around.

He was "1,000% Committed" to Lock Haven. It will be interesting to see if they can get him to sign the dotted line. Verbal commitments, of course, don't mean a thing, and, of course, there's blood in the water now. The sharks are circling. IUP will likely offer more money and a winning program. West Chester will offer a 'meal plan', etc. SRU probably won't be far behind.

But, even on a small scale (down here in the bus leagues) it just goes to show you nobody cares about the verbal commitments. The recruiting show typically just intensifies.

He'd be a huge get for the Bald Eagles. At this point, however, I have serious doubts they land him.
                    I am always reminded of a favorite movie scene: "Why, you pernicious little hypocrite! You bargained with me as a tough as any shyster lawyer. You ate every steak, used every airline ticket; You asked for a car, we gave you a car. Not once did you ask to have your character molded. You knew every minute what was going on!"

Comment

I have to agree with you IUPbigINDIANS , unless Refile is getting a full academic scholarship, no way he stays with Lock Haven, not after looking at his highlight reel.

Comment

I'm going to assume that between Pell & PHEAA grants plus athletic aid this kid is probably going for free to any PSAC school that offers. My PASSHE meetings don't include anyone too close to athletics at the north-central triad so I don't know if LHU's athletic scholarship model benefitted from being overseen by Bloom.

Comment

Another thing I've noticed is Lock Haven offering WPIAL kids. That's not a territory they typically wade into - but even if they land one or two those will be likely impact players on their current roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Another thing I've noticed is Lock Haven offering WPIAL kids. That's not a territory they typically wade into - but even if they land one or two those will be likely impact players on their current roster.
                            Several of the 'lesser' MEC programs take the same approach in the WPIAL. They offer everybody. I mentioned Clarion is taking the same approach. Every player I read about has an offer from Clarion, Alderson Broaddus and West Virginia Wesleyan. Now, we're tossing Lock Haven in to the mix as well.

When I was in high school, I'd have had no idea which PSAC teams were good and which weren't. I'd have also never heard of Alderson Broaddus or West Virginia Wesleyan. That was pre-internet, of course. Now you can obviously learn a lot within a couple clicks.

On one hand, I get the approach when trying to pull off a major rebuild. Throw offers everywhere and perhaps you land a couple. Be there early. IUP, Cal and SRU don't offer juniors and sophomores. If they do, it's very rare.

On the other hand, the Walmart approach is hard to hide. Kids notice that they and 178 other people have Clarion offers.

Another item certainly not helping is Duquesne took a large WPIAL haul during the early signing period -- mostly of players I had pegged as PSAC targets.

Comment

Several of the 'lesser' MEC programs take the same approach in the WPIAL. They offer everybody. I mentioned Clarion is taking the same approach. Every player I read about has an offer from Clarion, Alderson Broaddus and West Virginia Wesleyan. Now, we're tossing Lock Haven in to the mix as well.

When I was in high school, I'd have had no idea which PSAC teams were good and which weren't. I'd have also never heard of Alderson Broaddus or West Virginia Wesleyan. That was pre-internet, of course. Now you can obviously learn a lot within a couple clicks.

On one hand, I get the approach when trying to pull off a major rebuild. Throw offers everywhere and perhaps you land a couple. Be there early. IUP, Cal and SRU don't offer juniors and sophomores. If they do, it's very rare.

On the other hand, the Walmart approach is hard to hide. Kids notice that they and 178 other people have Clarion offers.

Another item certainly not helping is Duquesne took a large WPIAL haul during the early signing period -- mostly of players I had pegged as PSAC targets.
                              Don't forget Wheeling, Lake Erie, and Bluefield State. I remember a few years ago Kentucky State or Kentucky Wesleyan offered every WPIAL kid.

In most years RMU would have as well but its hard to sell kids on an 0-fer season in a conference full of schools you've never heard of and a lot too far for mom & dad to visit. Plus, Dad isn't going to get excited that the coach played for Jimmy Johnson at The U when he was 10 years old in 1988. Duquesne is also getting much more attractive mercenary games than Bob's School of Business. Getting blown out at Hawaii is a lot more attractive than getting blown out in Oxford, Ohio.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X