Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CUlater View Post
    Not sure if anyone is paying attention but Lock Haven has had an impressive start to the offseason...all things considered. They've landed some solid midyears and have already had a few high school kids commit which is impressive this early for any D2. One thing is for certain, if coach Mulrooney isn't successful there it will not be due to lack of effort or fear of trying something new/different. Good to see some different things happening there and maybe a little momentum building? Hope it translates to the field next fall, long way to go but seems to be some positive energy.
    Ms. Taylor already has her voodoo dolls out and will sabotage it in some way.....from afar.

Comment

The Haven continues to stack solid commitments. We haven't seen this type of recruiting success out of that program....ever. They are landing some nice players with several offers on the table. Not sure what they are selling but these kids are buying.

Comment

The Haven continues to stack solid commitments. We haven't seen this type of recruiting success out of that program....ever. They are landing some nice players with several offers on the table. Not sure what they are selling but these kids are buying.
        They just got a kid from NY who chose Lock Haven over offers from Stony Brook and Gannon. Stony Brook is FCS and a highly, highly underrated great academic school. As the old commercial goes, "Gotta get to the Haven!"

Comment

Just noticed that Lock Haven also got a kid from North Catholic and several transfers. Their head coach is also a featured speaker at the AFCA convention. Maybe there is something going on up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            Just noticed that Lock Haven also got a kid from North Catholic and several transfers. Their head coach is also a featured speaker at the AFCA convention. Maybe there is something going on up there.
            Everybody gets transfers. Some are good. Some stink. Who knows. Maybe this will finally be the right guy. But, until I see some wins (or, even competitive losses) I can't get too excited. This has become a broken record up there with every new hire (every couple years). Good news about rock bottom is there's only one way left to go.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Everybody gets transfers. Some are good. Some stink. Who knows. Maybe this will finally be the right guy. But, until I see some wins (or, even competitive losses) I can't get too excited. This has become a broken record up there with every new hire (every couple years). Good news about rock bottom is there's only one way left to go.
              agree with here BUT I have seen all of those recruiting classes from those other new hires. if they truly ink all of these guys, they haven't had a recruiting class of this caliber in my lifetime, not even if you combined the best of the best from several classes. Not saying these guys are all, all conference type players in this league but they look very different physically and from an ability standpoint than any of the previous. Hope this helps them become more competitive...will be great for our league if they can.

This reminds me of the class that Millersville had 2 or 3 years ago...I remember commenting on here that I thought it was an outstanding class for them...a couple years later they are seeing the fruits of that.

Comment

agree with here BUT I have seen all of those recruiting classes from those other new hires. if they truly ink all of these guys, they haven't had a recruiting class of this caliber in my lifetime, not even if you combined the best of the best from several classes. Not saying these guys are all, all conference type players in this league but they look very different physically and from an ability standpoint than any of the previous. Hope this helps them become more competitive...will be great for our league if they can.

This reminds me of the class that Millersville had 2 or 3 years ago...I remember commenting on here that I thought it was an outstanding class for them...a couple years later they are seeing the fruits of that.
                And creating visibility for a program no kids have heard of without a personal connection. In Pittsburgh the only kids who know Lock Haven for athletics are wrestlers and field hockey girls.

Comment

And creating visibility for a program no kids have heard of without a personal connection. In Pittsburgh the only kids who know Lock Haven for athletics are wrestlers and field hockey girls.
                  Fantastic. Another line in the already overcrowded pond. Lol.

Well, he must have some money to dangle. Charm and pep talks only go so far to get that dotted line actually signed. Perhaps they've adopted the walk-on philosophy from over in Philly.

Comment

Their stadium is worse than IUP's other than the view. So if facilities matter...why are they choosing a school that doesn't have a lot of scholarship money and a stadium that only has one seating area. Did they steal all of Bloomsburg;s foosball money? I mean this is a triad school...they aren't supposed to have money.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Their stadium is worse than IUP's other than the view. So if facilities matter...why are they choosing a school that doesn't have a lot of scholarship money and a stadium that only has one seating area. Did they steal all of Bloomsburg;s foosball money? I mean this is a triad school...they aren't supposed to have money.
                      Do you guys not want them to recruit good players?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

No. I want IUP to recruit all of the best players and steam roll everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Opportunity for sooner playing time sometimes trumps money, I guess. I imagine its hard for a lot of guys who have spent 3 years playing both sides of the ball to suddenly redshirt, scout team, or stand around and wait.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

***** that they don't have any players and suck. ***** that they're seemingly recruiting players.

Comment

Opportunity for sooner playing time sometimes trumps money, I guess. I imagine its hard for a lot of guys who have spent 3 years playing both sides of the ball to suddenly redshirt, scout team, or stand around and wait.
                              The redshirt year is always an interesting time. Although, it's pretty much factual the teams that win typically redshirt the most players. You're likely going to lose a couple of the kids you redshirt. Uncle Jimmy told them they should be at Penn State and now they are taking a redshirt in the bus leagues.

Immediate (potential) playing time is certainly the key selling point at places like Lock Haven. While a couple true freshmen usually play at the IUPs or SRUs, not many do. The reality is very few are actually ready to play. The linemen are usually too small and slow, and need to really increase strength/weight. The skill position players are entering a different world of speed. Defensive players go from the high school mantra of 'see ball get ball' in to much more complex schemes against way better, bigger, stronger, faster players.

But, no doubt to your point, the pitch would be come here and play this year. Or, go to IUP, sit for a year and hope they don't bump you out with a transfer.

Flip side is Lock Haven has to hope the 'development' year isn't on their tab and said player then transfers up the food chain. To me, that's the biggest hurdle. They have to get kids to stay for 3-4 years. Having a great freshmen class (that is likely to get hammered again next season on the field) doesn't do any good if they leave after next year. The culture -- and buy-in to the program -- is the absolute key. It's not going to happen overnight. The cycle of being a 'farm team' has to end to ultimately take the next step.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The redshirt year is always an interesting time. Although, it's pretty much factual the teams that win typically redshirt the most players. You're likely going to lose a couple of the kids you redshirt. Uncle Jimmy told them they should be at Penn State and now they are taking a redshirt in the bus leagues.

Immediate (potential) playing time is certainly the key selling point at places like Lock Haven. While a couple true freshmen usually play at the IUPs or SRUs, not many do. The reality is very few are actually ready to play. The linemen are usually too small and slow, and need to really increase strength/weight. The skill position players are entering a different world of speed. Defensive players go from the high school mantra of 'see ball get ball' in to much more complex schemes against way better, bigger, stronger, faster players.

But, no doubt to your point, the pitch would be come here and play this year. Or, go to IUP, sit for a year and hope they don't bump you out with a transfer.

Flip side is Lock Haven has to hope the 'development' year isn't on their tab and said player then transfers up the food chain. To me, that's the biggest hurdle. They have to get kids to stay for 3-4 years. Having a great freshmen class (that is likely to get hammered again next season on the field) doesn't do any good if they leave after next year. The culture -- and buy-in to the program -- is the absolute key. It's not going to happen overnight. The cycle of being a 'farm team' has to end to ultimately take the next step.
                                Correct. This is where I feel the new transfer rules (while very fair to players) absolutely hurt D2, the conferences, the teams, and the player experience. The players are going to start using the same logic as SEC boosters - you can't keep swapping parts hoping the next time magically results in a championship.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X