Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Edinboro signed 38 including mid-year transfers.

https://gofightingscots.com/news/202...s-of-2023.aspx

I always like to see who recruits are lost to. Here's the rundown based on what I could find:

Penn State (PWO) - 1

Central Connecticut State - 2
    Duquesne - 2
    Fordham - 1
    Lehigh - 1
    Merrimack - 1
    Robert Morris - 1
    Sacred Heart - 1
    St. Francis - 2

Cal - 2
    Clarion - 5
    Frostburg State - 1
    Gannon - 3
    IUP - 8
    Lock Haven - 2
    Mercyhurst - 2
    Shippensburg - 1
    Slippery Rock - 3
    Texas Permian-Basin - 1
    Wayne State - 1
    West Chester - 1

I get the D1 opportunities, even if its the NEC. To many, D1 is D1 and privates are really good at bragging about the total dollar amount discounted rather than the percentage. That goes for Gannon and Mercyhurst, too. You expect to lose some to the 3-headed monster of the PSAC West but IUP killed everyone this year. Losing 7 to Clarion and Lock Haven straight up pisses me off. Going back 5 years, Edinboro is 7-0 against those two teams with a combined score of 196-80. But you know, if you can't beat 'em on the field, beat 'em on Twitter.
    Throw in what I think is the best RB you had on your roster jumping ship to Clarion and you might as well call that 8. The worrisome part about this is that Boro and Nulph have shown progress. they just posted a winning record and one of the better records in the last few years but yet they got slaughtered in PA recruiting. That isn't a good sign. Also, I would argue that IUP didn't kill everyone in recruiting this year. They had a very strong class but when i look at it, I have Cal/IUP/Rock pretty much even. one could make a reasonable argument for all 3 having the top class. And one no one is talking about is Gannon's class might be better than all 3 of those.

Comment

• Originally posted by CUlater View Post

Throw in what I think is the best RB you had on your roster jumping ship to Clarion and you might as well call that 8. The worrisome part about this is that Boro and Nulph have shown progress. they just posted a winning record and one of the better records in the last few years but yet they got slaughtered in PA recruiting. That isn't a good sign. Also, I would argue that IUP didn't kill everyone in recruiting this year. They had a very strong class but when i look at it, I have Cal/IUP/Rock pretty much even. one could make a reasonable argument for all 3 having the top class. And one no one is talking about is Gannon's class might be better than all 3 of those.
      And, in a nutshell, you just summed up why our Final Four team gets clobbered yearly.

Way too many dogs at the same bowl

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

And, in a nutshell, you just summed up why our Final Four team gets clobbered yearly.

not intentional but great point, some of our top programs need to build connections to funnel a handful of top notch guys from other recruiting hot beds every year to put this region over the edge. supplement a strong in region class with talent from Florida/TX/Virgina/ect. Then we get back into the money talk but I think what we are seeing is that the talent is out there and available. starting to see it from Gannon a bit.

Comment

For me Sylla leaving hurt because I thought he was the RB of the future - but I don't know why he left. No offense, but I'm not sure Clarion was an upgrade. Especially because they also pulled in a transfer RB from RMU. Edinboro can offer young coaches, playing time, and one of the better locker rooms (for now). What they can't do is throw money around. Edinboro's athletic fundraising has nosedived in the last 5 years and their gender imbalance on campus makes it worse for funding football (and basketball and wrestling). I am still hopeful that the merger will help change some opinions on how to fund athletics at Edinboro but I'm not sure. So far the merger has really only been about org chart combination. The stadium is alright but the turf is nearing double the recommended life expectancy and starting to resemble the old Lock Haven "Gram & Pap Patio Carpet". Clarion has 50% more football scholarship dollars, and Cal has almost twice as much as Clarion. Mercyhurst and UPJ have nearly as many scholarships in men's basketball as Edinboro does in football. So Nulph, Cleary, and Hill have to recruit & coach out of their minds to win.

Comment

I think the drop in enrollment in Western Pa. high schools has had a ripple effect on the conference. I now see western Pa. PASSHE schools venturing into our central Pa. area far more than they used to for both academic students and athletes. That in turn is forcing schools such as Ship to adjust their recruiting net, and I don't think they've quite caught up yet. I did not enjoy seeing Hilton Ridley out of the Lancaster-Lebanon League romping all over Ship in last year's game with IUP. While schools such as IUP and The Rock have remained respectable, at least in the region, the conference overall has fallen off. Shepherd recruits a different area than the rest, one I think more PSAC schools need to mine. I believe Ship also will look more toward N.J,, Maryland, and Va. in the future. Makes sense with our location.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I think the drop in enrollment in Western Pa. high schools has had a ripple effect on the conference. I now see western Pa. PASSHE schools venturing into our central Pa. area far more than they used to for both academic students and athletes. That in turn is forcing schools such as Ship to adjust their recruiting net, and I don't think they've quite caught up yet. I did not enjoy seeing Hilton Ridley out of the Lancaster-Lebanon League romping all over Ship in last year's game with IUP. While schools such as IUP and The Rock have remained respectable, at least in the region, the conference overall has fallen off. Shepherd recruits a different area than the rest, one I think more PSAC schools need to mine. I believe Ship also will look more toward N.J,, Maryland, and Va. in the future. Makes sense with our location.
              Western PA also has competition from Ohio schools, WV schools, and this year I saw several Lock Haven & Millersville offers.

Comment

• Name Position Height Weight High School
                Luke Maxwell TE 6' 1" 215 Delsea (NJ)
                Richard Paczewski WR 5' 10" 185 Archbishop Ryan (PA)
                Zach Perta WR 5' 10" 170 Holy Redeemer (PA)
                Charles Sheppard DL 6' 2" 270 Hamburg (PA)
                Steven Davis DL 6' 2" 265 North Schuylkill (PA)
                Jayden Smith WR 6' 3" 180 Newark (DE)
                Anthony Pinal OL 6' 3" 250 Nutley (NJ)
                Samuel Martin CB 5' 10" 180 Duval (MD)
                Kyree Butler DL 6' 1" 295 Upper Dublin (PA)
                Asa Murray DB 5' 10" 155 Highland Regional (NJ)
                Jhaisir Harden DB 6' 0" 170 Glassboro (NJ)
                Liam Goss DL 6' 2" 225 Central Bucks South (PA)
                Lawron Short DL 6' 3" 225 Great Valley (PA)
                Jaime Rivera LB 5' 11" 225 Abington (PA)
                Jeffrey Lopez DB 5' 11" 185 DePaul Catholic (NJ)
                Mikey Gray DL 6' 1" 250 William Penn (PA)
                Asa Kochvar TE 6' 4" 220 Steelton-Highspire (PA)
                Tearran Peete LB 6' 3" 210 Father Judge (PA)
                Isaiah Holm DB 6' 3" 200 Montclair (NJ)
                Jeremy Lynn TE 6' 5" 225 West Chester Rustin (PA)
                Lenneik Preston WR 5' 9" 160 Conrad Schools of Science (DE)
                Wyatt Younes DB 5' 11" 175 Catasauqua (PA)
                Roman Doughtery DL 6' 1" 225 Cherokee (NJ)
                Michael Lackore OL 6' 4" 240 Washington Township (NJ)
                Hunter Peterson OL 6' 2" 275 Sparta (NJ)
                Daniel Schraeder DL 6' 4" 235 Cedar Cliff (PA)

Kutztown's 2023 class; last few have really been getting a decent amount from New Jersey. At this rate, Delaware might become another haul state for them in a few years. Slowly starting to get more guys from Maryland. Definitely getting more guys from the Harrisburg region.

Comment

• ESU's class, 28 players. 3 QBs is interesting, wonder who's going to stick. https://esuwarriors.com/signingday/football/football/4/
                  Declan Aikens OL 6-2 265 Danville, Pa. Danville Area
                  Lucas Andrezeski OL 6-4 275 Harrisburg Cedar Cliff
                  Jalen Barnes DL 6-2 255 Rahway, N.J. Rahway
                  Ashton Blose DL 6-3 235 Elk, N.J. Delsea Regional
                  Taquan Brittingham DB 5-11 170 Camden, N.J. Big Picture Learning Academy
                  David Calafut OL 6-5 285 Dickson City, Pa. Mid Valley Secondary Center
                  Elijah Carroll WR 5-7 170 Paterson, N.J. International
                  Cade Christopher WR 5-11 175 New Tripoli, Pa. Northwestern Lehigh
                  Tyler Demikoff QB 5-11 180 Wayne, N.J. Wayne Hills
                  AJ Dilks OL 6-5 285 Phoenixville, Pa. Archbishop Carroll
                  Andrew Fatusin OL 6-5 285 Severn, Md. Annapolis Area Christian School
                  Jake Fotta QB 5-11 175 Emmaus, Pa. Emmaus
                  Sherief Guainyard WR 6-4 195 Ewing, N.J. Saint Thomas Aquinas
                  Parker Hines WR 5-11 190 York, Pa. Central York
                  Amir Jones LB 6-2 190 Harrisburg, Pa. Harrisburg SciTech
                  Damond Malloy LB 5-11 180 Baltimore, Md. Boys Latin School Of Maryland
                  Raquane Matthews S 5-10 180 Lanham, Md. Eleanor Roosevelt
                  Sean McFadden LB 6-0 218 Doylestown, Pa. La Salle College
                  Brian Mitchell DB 5-10 170 Marlton, N.J. Cherokee
                  Adam Noll K/P 6-0 180 Robesonia, Pa. Conrad Weiser
                  Damien Padilla TE 6-4 235 Freehold, N.J. Howell
                  Danny Pham OL 6-1 295 York, Pa. Central York
                  Answer 'AJ' Saie DB 5-10 170 Philadelphia, Pa. Bonner Prendie
                  Jamal Simon DL 6-0 265 Teaneck Paramus Catholic
                  Mason Smith LB 6-2 220 Hanover, Pa. Our Lady of Good Counsel
                  Harrison Susi QB 5-11 190 Coatesville, Pa. Coatesville
                  Ajani Walker TB 5-8 180 York, Pa. Central York
                  Jayden Wooten DL 6-4 195 Sayreville, N.J. Immaculata

Comment

Western PA also has competition from Ohio schools, WV schools, and this year I saw several Lock Haven & Millersville offers.
                    From what I'm reading on this site, Lock Haven seems to be offering just about everyone.

Comment

• The LHU strategy is interesting. I think they're accepting that they'll be a transfer factory until the program gets on solid footing, and playing the numbers game. Time will tell if it works out.

Comment

For me Sylla leaving hurt because I thought he was the RB of the future - but I don't know why he left. No offense, but I'm not sure Clarion was an upgrade. Especially because they also pulled in a transfer RB from RMU. Edinboro can offer young coaches, playing time, and one of the better locker rooms (for now). What they can't do is throw money around. Edinboro's athletic fundraising has nosedived in the last 5 years and their gender imbalance on campus makes it worse for funding football (and basketball and wrestling). I am still hopeful that the merger will help change some opinions on how to fund athletics at Edinboro but I'm not sure. So far the merger has really only been about org chart combination. The stadium is alright but the turf is nearing double the recommended life expectancy and starting to resemble the old Lock Haven "Gram & Pap Patio Carpet". Clarion has 50% more football scholarship dollars, and Cal has almost twice as much as Clarion. Mercyhurst and UPJ have nearly as many scholarships in men's basketball as Edinboro does in football. So Nulph, Cleary, and Hill have to recruit & coach out of their minds to win.
                        The way that Clarion funds scholarships for football they only report about 50-60% of the total budget. The other portion is from an endowment that falls outside of the reporting criteria. They have much more available than what the perception is there and I would expect that to increase again significantly over the next 2-3 years. It's going to get real interesting now that they have a staff in place that knows how to run a college football program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

From what I'm reading on this site, Lock Haven seems to be offering just about everyone.
                          Do you have any eligibility left?

Comment

Do you have any eligibility left?
                            I was a decent sandlot quarterback — could throw a football fairly deep with accuracy. Also could shoot a basketball. But slow and relatively small didn't get it done when it came to organized school team sports. And I must admit that having two sound knees while watching some my more athletic high school classmates limp into our reunions with various sports injuries isn't all bad. The Bald Eagles will have to do without me.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                              ESU's class, 28 players. 3 QBs is interesting, wonder who's going to stick. https://esuwarriors.com/signingday/football/football/4/
                              Declan Aikens OL 6-2 265 Danville, Pa. Danville Area
                              Lucas Andrezeski OL 6-4 275 Harrisburg Cedar Cliff
                              Jalen Barnes DL 6-2 255 Rahway, N.J. Rahway
                              Ashton Blose DL 6-3 235 Elk, N.J. Delsea Regional
                              Taquan Brittingham DB 5-11 170 Camden, N.J. Big Picture Learning Academy
                              David Calafut OL 6-5 285 Dickson City, Pa. Mid Valley Secondary Center
                              Elijah Carroll WR 5-7 170 Paterson, N.J. International
                              Cade Christopher WR 5-11 175 New Tripoli, Pa. Northwestern Lehigh
                              Tyler Demikoff QB 5-11 180 Wayne, N.J. Wayne Hills
                              AJ Dilks OL 6-5 285 Phoenixville, Pa. Archbishop Carroll
                              Andrew Fatusin OL 6-5 285 Severn, Md. Annapolis Area Christian School
                              Jake Fotta QB 5-11 175 Emmaus, Pa. Emmaus
                              Sherief Guainyard WR 6-4 195 Ewing, N.J. Saint Thomas Aquinas
                              Parker Hines WR 5-11 190 York, Pa. Central York
                              Amir Jones LB 6-2 190 Harrisburg, Pa. Harrisburg SciTech
                              Damond Malloy LB 5-11 180 Baltimore, Md. Boys Latin School Of Maryland
                              Raquane Matthews S 5-10 180 Lanham, Md. Eleanor Roosevelt
                              Sean McFadden LB 6-0 218 Doylestown, Pa. La Salle College
                              Brian Mitchell DB 5-10 170 Marlton, N.J. Cherokee
                              Adam Noll K/P 6-0 180 Robesonia, Pa. Conrad Weiser
                              Damien Padilla TE 6-4 235 Freehold, N.J. Howell
                              Danny Pham OL 6-1 295 York, Pa. Central York
                              Answer 'AJ' Saie DB 5-10 170 Philadelphia, Pa. Bonner Prendie
                              Jamal Simon DL 6-0 265 Teaneck Paramus Catholic
                              Mason Smith LB 6-2 220 Hanover, Pa. Our Lady of Good Counsel
                              Harrison Susi QB 5-11 190 Coatesville, Pa. Coatesville
                              Ajani Walker TB 5-8 180 York, Pa. Central York
                              Jayden Wooten DL 6-4 195 Sayreville, N.J. Immaculata
                              3 quarterbacks under 6 feet, interesting.

Comment

The way that Clarion funds scholarships for football they only report about 50-60% of the total budget. The other portion is from an endowment that falls outside of the reporting criteria. They have much more available than what the perception is there and I would expect that to increase again significantly over the next 2-3 years. It's going to get real interesting now that they have a staff in place that knows how to run a college football program.
                                That doesn't sound accurate. All scholarship spending designated exclusively for football must be reported as such. What Clarion doesn't have to report is aid football players get that any Clarion student could get like an academic scholarship, an employee tuition waiver, or a need-based fee waiver. It's possible that is what you're referring to. The most recent reporting (from 21-22) says Clarion gave out $366,268.83 in football aid or 12.30 full scholarship equivalencies.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X