Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 College Hall of Fame Ballot

The ballot for the 2024 College Hall of Fame nominees is out and there is some good representation from the PSAC in both the players and coaches, including the following:

Jahri Evans - Bloomsburg
    Billy Hess - West Chester
    Gary McCauley - Clarion
    Jimmy Terwilliger - East Stroudsburg

Danny Hale - West Chester/Bloomsburg
    Glenn Killinger - West Chester
    George Mihalik - Slippery Rock

https://footballfoundation.org/docum...S_High_Res.pdf

Starting on page 15 is the list of the non-FBS players/coaches.

Jahri Evans, Jimmy Terwilliger, Danny Hale and George Mihalik just stand out to me just stand out to me.

Comment

Billy Hess was a great receiver, but was not better than WCU's Mike Washington. Washington might not be eligible yet, but he's a lock IMO. I can't speak to Gary McCauley or Glenn Killinger. Evans, Terwilliger, Hale and Mihalik should be locks.

Comment

I don't recall Hess, McCaley, or Killinger. The others are PSAC legends.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
          I don't recall Hess, McCaley, or Killinger. The others are PSAC legends.
          Everybody on this board should know Glenn Killinger. He is probably the greatest overall sports legend ever associated with the PSAC.

He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1971 as a player. I don't know if this ballot is as a coach, administrator, contributor, or what, or if it's just as a D2 person.

Here is his wiki page. They have a statue of Killinger down by the western endzone of the WCU stadium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Killinger

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Everybody on this board should know Glenn Killinger. He is probably the greatest overall sports legend ever associated with the PSAC.

He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1971 as a player. I don't know if this ballot is as a coach, administrator, contributor, or what, or if it's just as a D2 person.

Here is his wiki page. They have a statue of Killinger down by the western endzone of the WCU stadium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Killinger

Oh wow. Probably due to dates & geography. I'm only up on PSAC East achievements from the late 80s on. Also, I wasn't around let alone following small college pre-NAIA sports in the 1950s.

Comment

Everybody on this board should know Glenn Killinger.

His playing days ended in 1921...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

His playing days ended in 1921...
                I appreciate history.

Comment

Originally posted by nodnol View Post
                  The ballot for the 2024 College Hall of Fame nominees is out and there is some good representation from the PSAC in both the players and coaches, including the following:

Jahri Evans - Bloomsburg
                  Billy Hess - West Chester
                  Gary McCauley - Clarion
                  Jimmy Terwilliger - East Stroudsburg

Danny Hale - West Chester/Bloomsburg
                  Glenn Killinger - West Chester
                  George Mihalik - Slippery Rock

https://footballfoundation.org/docum...S_High_Res.pdf

Starting on page 15 is the list of the non-FBS players/coaches.
                  IUP QB Lynn Hieber (1972-75) is also on the list as a player.

Comment

IUP QB Lynn Hieber (1972-75) is also on the list as a player.
                    He's been on the ballot for a long time now.

Comment

I could see Evans and Terwilliger getting in eventually if not necessarily on this ballot. I’m not sure if any of the coaches will make it. Hale won a lot and did go to one championship game but never won it all which isn’t a DQ but might make a tough sale for a HOF. Mihalik won substantially less and never went as far in the postseason so I’m guessing he’ll get less support than Hale. I honestly don’t know anything about Killinger so I’m not going to speculate on his chances.

Comment

I can’t believe that Dr. Evil is on the ballot. Were his best teams with McCavish?

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
                          I can’t believe that Dr. Evil is on the ballot. Were his best teams with McCavish?
                          I think it's more of a longevity thing with him. He had very limited postseason success and got crushed, overall, by Frank Cignetti in his rivalry series.

I would certainly say the McKavish years were his best.

Perhaps he'll also get credit for contributing to the IUP Rule.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I think it's more of a longevity thing with him. He had very limited postseason success and got crushed, overall, by Frank Cignetti in his rivalry series.

I would certainly say the McKavish years were his best.

Perhaps he'll also get credit for contributing to the IUP Rule.
                            I'd have to agree, other than longevity, I'm not sure he meets the mark. He was 197-111-4 and reached the playoffs only 6 times. Great career nontheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
                              He's just nominated. He's a legend at SRU as he should be. Played at Slip then led the program for 25 seasons. A .638 career with only 5 losing seasons in 25 is pretty good. But I'll stop there. He was pretty good. Deservedly a LEGEND at Slippery Rock.

His two best teams were 1997-2000 and 2013-15. Both runs had second and/or semifinal playoff runs. The former had - and this shows how long I've been around here - former PSAC columnist Dave Sabolcik on the roster with McKavish. I can't recall any other studs from those teams. The latter was Nigel Barksdale, Marcus Martin, etc.

We're spoiled by Frank Sr. being our standard. A .781 win% with no losing records over 19 seasons is bonkers and certainly skews our perspective. Same for Monte Cater at Shepherd. .723 win% with 4 losing seasons in 30 seasons.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X