Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIAA Attendance

I am curious about attendance all over the D2 world. Last year I did an RMAC attendance thread, in which I listed the attendance of every game played in an RMAC stadium every week and I also listed all RMAC teams ranked based on home attendance, updated weekly. I am wondering if anyone here wants to do a CIAA attendance thread? The attendance is almost always listed in boxscores posted online on teams' athletic websites. I will check back here to see if anyone does this. If anyone would like an idea of how this might look, you can check out last year's RMAC attendance thread which I started and updated weekly.

??????https://www.d2football.com/forum/for...tendance/page4

Hey that's a cool idea. I can keep this up for the CIAA. I'll also mention away games, but keep the running total for only home games.

Week 0

ECSU @ Hampton (FCS-Big South) - 8,234

Comment

There were only two home games in the CIAA in week 1, so I will start keeping up the attendance leader list after Week 2 when there are more games to compare. However, as was expected the VSU and Norfolk State rivalry game was the clear winner for largest attendance.

Week 1

Wingate (SAC) @ JCSU (Thursday Night Game) - 1,457
      Lincoln PA @ Lock Haven (PSAC) (Thursday Night Game) - 879
      St Augs @ Lenoir-Rhyne (SAC) - 7,046
      Chowan @ UVA-Wise (SAC) - 1,345
      Bowie State @ AIC (NE10) - 654
      Shaw @ Campbell (FCS-Big South) - 6,047
      VSU @ Norfolk State (FCS-MEAC) - 15,538
      VUU @ Hampton (FCS - MEAC) - 8,127
      WSSU @ UNCP (Independent/SAC Alliance) - 3,583
      LC @ Clark ATL (SIAC) - 3,503
      Benedict (SIAC) @ FSU - 2,971
      Last edited by LegalRam; 09-09-2019, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
        Hey that's a cool idea. I can keep this up for the CIAA. I'll also mention away games, but keep the running total for only home games.

Week 0

ECSU @ Hampton (FCS-Big South) - 8,234
        Thanks I look forward to it, I also appreciate the other information you give such as, against a non conf team, and non-D2 team. Awesome.

Comment

There were a lot of home openers this week, and VUU was the attendance leader. Also, the four SAC matchups drew the highest attendance.

Week 2

Comment

CIAA ATTENDENCE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------GM 1----------- GM 2-------- GM 3------------ Average
            Bowie State 3-0 654 834 1967 1151 (12)
            Virginia State 2-1 15538 2013 1015 6188 (2)
            Virginia Union 2-1 8127 5407 5086 6206 (1)
            Chowan 1-2 1345 1937 2347 1876 (9)
            Lincoln (PA) 0-3 879 2078 2107 1688 (10)
            Elizabeth City State 0-3 8234 684 6025 4981 (3)
            Shaw 1-2 6047 834 2347 3076 (6)
            Livingstone 3-0 3503 684 537 1574 (11)
            Fayetteville State 2-1 2971 4018 2107 3032 (7)
            Johnson C. Smith 1-2 1457 3682 5086 3408 (5)
            Winston-Salem State 1-2 3583 4827 2506 3638 (4)
            0-3 6075 4000 1015 2496 (8)

Comment

The ECSU @ NCCU game led for attendance, but for home games VUU continued with it's 5k plus crowd trend.

Week 3

WSSU @ Tuskegee (SIAC) 2506
              Elizabeth City @ NC Central (FCS - MEAC) 6,025
              Virginia State @ Saint Augustine's 1015
              AB (GMAC) @ Bowie St 1967
              JCSU @ Virginia Union 5086
              Allen (NAIA) @ Livingstone 537
              Shaw @ Chowan 2347
              Lincoln (PA) @Fayetteville St. 2107

Comment

Any team that averages 5,000 home games over a season would likely be close to the top 20 nationally in attendance. Congrats to VUU for good support in this early season.

Comment

Week 4

Please note, all of these numbers came from the home schools respective websites.

FSU @ Elizabeth City (Neutral Site - Rocky Mount, NC) - 9,190
                  WSSU @ VUU - 7,302
                  Edward Waters (NAIA) @ Shaw - 4,231
                  JCSU @ VSU - 2,031
                  St Augs @ Bowie - 1,851
                  Chowan @ McKendree (GLVC) - 1,083
                  LC @ Lincoln - 893

So ECSU took the trophy this week with over 9K at the Down East Classic. They get good support for this game and the weather was nice, so not saying that attendance isn't possible but keep in mind the capacity for the stadium is around 5k and looking at the game online I could see that there were seats available. I'm guessing people had to buy tickets to get in the tailgate area and a lot of people probably never went in the game.

I am now highly questioning VUU's attendance numbers. WSSU had some decent support, but there were chunks of space left open on the visitors side. Plus I saw pictures that WSSU fans posted showing the home side and the crowd wasn't close to packed. VUU's stadium has a capacity of around 10,000, and from what I saw there is no way that 73% of that stadium was full.

I'm guessing that Shaw total was a massive typo and a number needs to be removed. The game was played at St Augs 2,500 person capacity stadium and I doubt Ed Waters was that big of a draw for the Shaw fans to want to see. I'm also doubting that this game did roughly 170% of the stadium capacity.

Comment

The attendance figures that VUU has been reporting are not accurate. Every time they play at home they report at least 5,000 in attendance and the crowds are no where near 5K. Saturday's game against WSSU was a prime example. WSSU probably had 1,000 fans or so on the visitor side, but the VUU side wasn't even half full. It was the same thing last year when Union played us. There may have been 7,000 in attendance, but they reported a capacity crowd of 10K. Someone in the stands said that they include their entire enrollment in the attendance figures they report because their student activity fee includes a free ticket to all home basketball and football games which entitles them to include all students in the attendance figures they report, regardless of whether the student picks up a ticket or goes to the game. Makes sense and must be OK by NCAA rules because Joe Taylor is a master in terms of researching and adhering to the rules.
                    Last edited by VSUTrojans; 10-10-2019, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post
                      The attendance figures that VUU is reporting are not accurate. Every time they play at home they report at least 5,000 in attendance and the crowds are no where near 5K. Saturday's game against WSSU was a prime example. WSSU probably had 1,000 fans or so on the visitor side, but the VUU side wasn't even half full. It was the same thing last year when Union played us. There may have been 7,000 in attendance, but they reported a capacity crowd of 10K. Someone in the stands said that they include their entire enrollment in the attendance figures they report because their student activity fee includes a free ticket to all home basketball and football games which entitles them to include all students in the attendance figures they report, regardless of whether the student picks up a ticket or goes to the game. Makes sense and must be OK by NCAA rules because Joe Taylor is a master in terms of researching and adhering to the rules.

Agree with all of this, I was there this past Sat... Speaking of rules, are there any for those treacherous and dilapidated visitor's bleachers at VUU?
                      Last edited by 804ram07; 10-01-2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Week 5 - The week where the Southern schools hosted, except for Shaw due to sharing St Augs stadium. Fall showed up out of the blue and most of the games were played in overcast conditions that legitimately saw temps on Friday in the 90s drop to temps on Saturday in the 60s and low 70s. The Broncos had their homecoming, which in turn lead the attendance this week. I'm impressed by JCSU's attendance as this was their first Saturday home game of the season and more than doubled the attendance of the Thursday night opener against Wingate.

Chowan @ FSU - 5,327 (homecoming)
                        Bowie @ WSSU - 4,266
                        Shaw @ VSU - 4,012
                        Lincoln @ JCSU - 3,206 (first Saturday home game of the season)
                        ECSU @ St Augs - 1,067
                        VUU @ LC - 600

Comment

considering the fact that Livingstone was 4-0 going into Saturday's game, their was disappointing

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
                            considering the fact that Livingstone was 4-0 going into Saturday's game, their was disappointing
                            I think their fan base is used to being bad for so long that it will take a few seasons of being good before they start to show up again. But yeah, 600 is not good.

Comment

Week 6 - Not the best attendance week for the CIAA schools, even though the weather was decent across the conference. Bowie gets the crown this week with their homecoming crowd, and keep in mind that according to their website their stadium capacity is 2,964 so they blew their "capacity" out the water. FSU fans have to get out their to support their school more, they are off to a great start. I'm thinking that they suffered from the post homecoming hangover and a lot of people didn't feel like showing up two weeks in a row. WSSU beating JCSU 19 times in a row has kind of killed the crowd for this "rivalry" and it also didn't help that WSSU was 1-4 going into this game.

Chowan @ Bowie State - 4,114 (Homecoming)
                              JCSU @ WSSU - 3,619
                              VUU @ Lincoln PA - 1,869 (Homecoming)
                              Shaw @ FSU - 1,373
                              LC @ St Augs - 1,205
                              VSU @ ECSU - Attendance is listed as 0 on their website.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X