Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowie State Bulldogs vs Carson-Newman Eagles

First round matchup is set! Third straight home playoff game for BSU. Fourth playoff appearance in the last five seasons. C-N is going to be a tough opponent.

Thoughts... Predictions...

SN: Tough luck for Virginia State, but it's good to see the SIAC back in the playoffs. They've been left out the last couple of years.

My thoughts, your QB has got to be firing now. The pass game has got to be a threat if you guys want to continue on at this point. I'd expect every team from here on out to spy him, so you guys will have to make them pay. If you guys have the pass game going then I like your chances.

Comment

Agree with LegalRam. Just stating the statistics since he mentioned Bowie needing a big pass game:

CN secondary is 5th in the nation in interceptions, 11th in passing defense efficiency, Top 20 in total defense, and top 15 in passing yards a game.

Eagles need the same intensity they had this past week defensively, when they held Tusculum to 56 yards of offense thru 3 quarters.

Comment

We haven't lost a home game since 2017 when we lost to Delta State in 1st round of playoffs. BSU's QB Johnson can pass the ball just as good as he can run. Our defense is not only causing turnovers but they are scoring every game. Bulldogs get the W at home!

Comment

I think Bowie has the hardest path of anyone. Could potentially get back to back highly unique unfamiliar offenses with very talented defenses, then if they beat them both get Valdosta as a reward. That'll take a TON of film study.

I don't know that much about Bowie honestly, but I can say Carson Newman is a really good team when they play well. Their unique offense and experienced talented players are a tough out for anyone. That said, they have a history of falling apart in big games, specifically look for turnovers, a ton of them. Thats the key to this game I'd say.

I'll take CN just to pick someone, as I said not that familiar with Bowie this year so my pick doesn't have much credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by BSURover31 View Post
            We haven't lost a home game since 2017 when we lost to Delta State in 1st round of playoffs. BSU's QB Johnson can pass the ball just as good as he can run. Our defense is not only causing turnovers but they are scoring every game. Bulldogs get the W at home!
            Don't get me wrong I am pulling for you all, but you have to admit Johnson has had some off games passing since he became the true starter. WSSU he went 7-15 for 77 yards, and most of that came on the one good drive he had. This past weekend he only threw for 90 yards against FSU. He didn't crack 100 aginst Chowan, granted he ran all over the place on them. However, he has had a couple of 300 yard passing game this season.

My issue is if he is having an off game with his arm I don't like you alls chances if he gets in a spot where you have to solely rely on his feet to get the job done. Long story short, if Johnson plays like he did against WSSU and FSU I don't like your chances, yet if he shows up like he did against VUU then you guys have a really good shot.

Comment

A few Interesting stats for this game...

Bowie State is one of only two teams in the national top 10 in the scoring offense (10th) and scoring defense (9th). The other team is Minnesota State.

I thought Carson-Newman's 19 INTs is impressive but the Bulldogs' defense has twice as many interceptions (25) as TD passes allowed (12). Across all divisions, there is only one team in college football that has more INTs than Bowie State.

Red zone...Carson-Newman has one of the best red zone offenses in D2, scoring 38 times in 41 tries. Bowie State has the 3rd best red zone defense in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

Don't get me wrong I am pulling for you all, but you have to admit Johnson has had some off games passing since he became the true starter. WSSU he went 7-15 for 77 yards, and most of that came on the one good drive he had. This past weekend he only threw for 90 yards against FSU. He didn't crack 100 aginst Chowan, granted he ran all over the place on them. However, he has had a couple of 300 yard passing game this season.

My issue is if he is having an off game with his arm I don't like you alls chances if he gets in a spot where you have to solely rely on his feet to get the job done. Long story short, if Johnson plays like he did against WSSU and FSU I don't like your chances, yet if he shows up like he did against VUU then you guys have a really good shot.
                I've watched every game, so I've seen his growth as he developed into the permanent starting QB. I also know Coach Wilson didn't leave him in to pad his stats against weaker opponents. The home games I saw in person, he was pulled out within the first 5 minutes of 3rd quarter, so that Cooper (backup QB) could get the reps. As mentioned earlier, we do not lose at home. I don't think our defense is getting the credit it deserves. We are creating numerous turnovers per game and also scoring every game. We may have one of the best defensive lines and secondaries in DII.

Comment

Comment

I've watched every game, so I've seen his growth as he developed into the permanent starting QB. I also know Coach Wilson didn't leave him in to pad his stats against weaker opponents. The home games I saw in person, he was pulled out within the first 5 minutes of 3rd quarter, so that Cooper (backup QB) could get the reps. As mentioned earlier, we do not lose at home. I don't think our defense is getting the credit it deserves. We are creating numerous turnovers per game and also scoring every game. We may have one of the best defensive lines and secondaries in DII.
                    I'm not talking about games against ECSU and Lincoln, your QB didn't get pulled against WSSU and FSU. So with his growth how do you explain his passing performance from Saturday?

Your D is good and I've been saying that all season. Without your D you guys would have lost some games in the first half of the season while figuring your offense out.

At this point of the season though you got to be able to produce on Offense to move on, and that production will have to involve the passing game being a threat.

Comment

You exploit the weaknesses of your opponent's defense. When team's have placed a spy on him and dared him to pass the ball, he did so successfully. Please stop using South teams in your comparisons, the toughest teams we faced were the Northern teams in VA. A win is a win. This guy has had several 150+ rushing games, but he is definitely not a game manager, he is a play-maker. I'm not gonna sit up here and debate about how good the Player of the Year is. Whether you see it or not, he is just that. Tune in on Sat and watch how the dawgs perform at home. He will take your respect.

Comment

You exploit the weaknesses of your opponent's defense. When team's have placed a spy on him and dared him to pass the ball, he did so successfully. Please stop using South teams in your comparisons, the toughest teams we faced were the Northern teams in VA. A win is a win. This guy has had several 150+ rushing games, but he is definitely not a game manager, he is a play-maker. I'm not gonna sit up here and debate about how good the Player of the Year is. Whether you see it or not, he is just that. Tune in on Sat and watch how the dawgs perform at home. He will take your respect.
                        Toughest teams you faced were Northern Schools, yet it took y'all deep into the 4th quarter to fully put away Shaw, WSSU, and FSU????????

I agree that your QB is mobile, but I am more worried about the number of games with less than 100 yards passing then the number of 150+ rushing games. It's not like y'all are some option style team that never throws the ball.

He didn't go for over 100 yards against WSSU or FSU. Plus you bring up the VA teams, yet he was only 10-22 against VA State and half his passing yards came on two plays.

I give you guys credit for running through VUU. But the other somewhat decent to mediocre competition you guys played this year hasn't exactly made y'all look like world beaters.

Comment

I will give BSU's QB credit he is a good runner, very elusive. However, if CN shuts down BSU 's run game then how accurate can he be throwing after so much scrambling. Unless he can catch his own passes how effective will the receivers be against CN DB's. I shall try to watch but CN seems very tough to beat. I too am CIAA all the way, but I am a realist also an know how weak the CIAA can be not too mention the tough road ahead of BSU even if they win. WSSU went through the same during their run. Good luck BSU.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

Toughest teams you faced were Northern Schools, yet it took y'all deep into the 4th quarter to fully put away Shaw, WSSU, and FSU????????

I agree that your QB is mobile, but I am more worried about the number of games with less than 100 yards passing then the number of 150+ rushing games. It's not like y'all are some option style team that never throws the ball.

He didn't go for over 100 yards against WSSU or FSU. Plus you bring up the VA teams, yet he was only 10-22 against VA State and half his passing yards came on two plays.

I give you guys credit for running through VUU. But the other somewhat decent to mediocre competition you guys played this year hasn't exactly made y'all look like world beaters.
                            We played our schedule, went undefeated and dominated every POY catergory in the conference and you still doubting the champs. Keep that same energy when we are 12-0 next week. Go root for Miles, we don't need your pessimism or half compliments. I bet yall said the same thing last year before we beat W. Alabama at home. Prob never even seen Carson Newman play, but hoped right on they jock lol..

Comment

We played our schedule, went undefeated and dominated every POY catergory in the conference and you still doubting the champs. Keep that same energy when we are 12-0 next week. Go root for Miles, we don't need your pessimism or half compliments. I bet yall said the same thing last year before we beat W. Alabama at home. Prob never even seen Carson Newman play, but hoped right on they jock lol..
                              I have never hoped on anybody's jock, but no knocking what you might like to do with your free time.

I've watched Carson Newman play this year as well as most of the SAC. I realize there's more than just the CIAA and with the invention of the internet I'm able to watch other teams games.

I actually did have you guys picked to beat West Bama last year. Also realize that it took your All American QB, who was probably the 2nd best QB to come through the CIAA in the past decade, throwing for 360 yards to get that win.

Knowing y'all have been set up over the last few years on needing good QB passing abilities, and knowing good QB passing is what it takes to move on in the playoffs, we have naturally questioned your QB's arm based on some suspect performances.

You talk about him being POY and his progression, but you have yet to address his 9-21 90 yards passing on Saturday. Do you honestly think Bowie can beat CN if he has another performance like last Saturday?

I honestly want you guys to win, but you being blinded by Bowie makes it hard. I thought 2015 humbled you after losing the CIAA Championship and getting blown out the playoffs. But it seems like not getting embarrassed by Delta State in 2017 and beating West Bama last year has your head in the clouds again.

You got to understand we are simply bringing up valid points. Your QB has had some off games passing which includes his very last game. He's only really had one POY quality passing game against good competition.

Since you seem not to have understood what I was saying before, I am pulling for Bowie. I think Bowie can win but they will have to have good QB passing production. I don't think Bowie can win if the QB has a sub 100 yard passing day.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X