Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSSU1996 View Post
    The real elephant in the room with regard to WSSU Football and Athletics overall is money. Whether many know this or not WSSU is still paying Boulware. Arrangements were made to resolve his dismissal coupled with the resignation of the former AD. The question of who will become the next head football coach at WSSU is a very valid discussion. In my opinion, it is the financial component at play when the new AD starts on Jan. 1 that will be the overriding factor in who is ultimately chosen/hired. A "seasoned" head coach will demand premium pay, a young unproven head coach can be low-balled until he proves himself through wins and losses. Just my 2 cents...
    I think its easy to forget that. His contract isnt up until 2020. So, there's one more season to play through before his contract ends. Thats $115k right out the door. Nothing publicly has came out of the "firing for cause" issue.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post

I think its easy to forget that. His contract isnt up until 2020. So, there's one more season to play through before his contract ends. Thats $115k right out the door. Nothing publicly has came out of the "firing for cause" issue.
      Not actually. He was dismissed for cause which voids the contract. That is why he is appealing. Also some one mentioned the former AD's separation as another money issue. That is incorrect. Tonia Walker resigned which meant WSSU owed her nothing.

Comment

^ Thats right. We dont know if maybe WSSU settled or something just to make it go away. No one knows anything. It just seemed so messy.

Comment

As most of us on here knows today is signing day and with WSSU's coaching position in question we once again put ourselves behind in recruiting as well as organizing staff. At this level I wonder if it would not be better to start to sign coaches to contracts in two year increments and renew in two year time spans. That way it won't be so hard to change coaches if need to. I still say that WSSU need at a minimum a new OC and QB coach. Lastly. our athletic department need an overhaul. If you want a D-I performance you have to have D-I personnel and mindset.

Comment

Originally posted by callen2525 View Post
            As most of us on here knows today is signing day and with WSSU's coaching position in question we once again put ourselves behind in recruiting as well as organizing staff. At this level I wonder if it would not be better to start to sign coaches to contracts in two year increments and renew in two year time spans. That way it won't be so hard to change coaches if need to. I still say that WSSU need at a minimum a new OC and QB coach. Lastly. our athletic department need an overhaul. If you want a D-I performance you have to have D-I personnel and mindset.
            You have to have D-I money. Our problem is that after the D-I transition was aborted, we continued to operate like a D-I program in ways we could not afford.

Comment

Originally posted by wssuram View Post

Not actually. He was dismissed for cause which voids the contract. That is why he is appealing. Also some one mentioned the former AD's separation as another money issue. That is incorrect. Tonia Walker resigned which meant WSSU owed her nothing.
              There is the story they told the "public" then there is the truth. I will not say much more but Tonia's departure and the Boulware situation both had and are having lingering financial consequences. Tonia resigned with a promise, and it had a financial component and I'd ask everyone to put on your thinking cap for a moment... An Interim Head football coach and Interim AD for a full calendar year, there was a quid pro quo at play because we couldn't pay both based on the arrangements made. Also notice there was never an "official" statement from the university clarifying what was done in Boulware's case, i.e., confidentiality clause.
              Last edited by WSSU1996; 12-20-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

There is the story they told the "public" then there is the truth. I will not say much more but Tonia's departure and the Boulware situation both had and are having lingering financial consequences. Tonia resigned with a promise, and it had a financial component and I'd ask everyone to put on your thinking cap for a moment... An Interim Head football coach and Interim AD for a full calendar year, there was a quid pro quo at play because we couldn't pay both based on the arrangements made. Also notice there was never an "official" statement from the university clarifying what was done in Boulware's case, i.e., confidentiality clause.
                Please stop. You are so far off from facts. Have no idea who your sources are, but very little of what you post is accurate (zero regarding Tonia Walker).

Comment

WSSURAM, you said "very little of what you post is accurate", oh really, and I take it that yours are, huh? This is a football fan forum where 99% of what's posted and expressed is someone's opinion. I wrote what I said based on the people in athletics I spoke to. You mentioned that my comments are "so far from facts", but offer none of your own to refute? I will concede that the vast majority of my posts are "opinion", as are yours regarding the program, and I'm not trying to persuade or dissuade anyone one way or another just stating what I think. If "you" feel my posts are inaccurate then offer a counter, but too simply say "please stop" and never address any of what I actually said is disingenuous. I'll ask this and leave it alone. Where is the "official" response from the university clarifying what was done in the Boulware situation? The last public update was that he appealed and they were in an "arbitration process". As a publically supported institution any monetary arrangements have to be disclosed, have you seen such a disclosure? The public statement has always been that he was "relieved of his football duties for cause", it never said, "without pay". So you tell me, what was the outcome, I'll wait? Tonia's "resignation" was actually a two-option choice, resign or be fired, that is a fact, the pay, I was told continued because of her actual last day. She left the "university" on June 1st, 2018, but was paid until December 31st. However, I will not let you call me a liar and "you" sir, offer no details or "alternative facts" to refute my sentiments! It's fine that you believe everything John Dell writes in the Journal, that is your choice, but I believe the folks I speak to in athletics, period. If what I was told was false, I'm man enough to say I was wrong, but I absolutely stand behind my comments/statements! Happy New Year Ram!

Comment

WSSU1996, I have no problem if you have sources in the athletic department that rely on for information. Also agree that sometimes even staff get some info wrong whether intentional or not people can make mistakes. However, I can tell you that the Journal reporter assigned to cover WSSU for over 25 years now has never INTENTIONALLY reported/written anything to either misrepresent or mislead any reader. I do know John Dell and find him to have the utmost character of honesty and integrity. But let's understand he can't report what is not being told to him by administration as you have said in your post. I am sure that one day soon it all will be out in the light and guess what, John Dell will write it.

Comment

Yes, Callen2525, I too, know John and he is a straight shooter. I differ with some of his conclusions at times but I have said that to him directly, but he and I usually see eye to eye on WSSU athletics. You said the key point, he reports what the administration tells him. The administration would be foolish to let him totally control the narrative, I'm sorry, in my opinion...

Comment

WSSURAM, you said "very little of what you post is accurate", oh really, and I take it that yours are, huh? This is a football fan forum where 99% of what's posted and expressed is someone's opinion. I wrote what I said based on the people in athletics I spoke to. You mentioned that my comments are "so far from facts", but offer none of your own to refute? I will concede that the vast majority of my posts are "opinion", as are yours regarding the program, and I'm not trying to persuade or dissuade anyone one way or another just stating what I think. If "you" feel my posts are inaccurate then offer a counter, but too simply say "please stop" and never address any of what I actually said is disingenuous. I'll ask this and leave it alone. Where is the "official" response from the university clarifying what was done in the Boulware situation? The last public update was that he appealed and they were in an "arbitration process". As a publically supported institution any monetary arrangements have to be disclosed, have you seen such a disclosure? The public statement has always been that he was "relieved of his football duties for cause", it never said, "without pay". So you tell me, what was the outcome, I'll wait? Tonia's "resignation" was actually a two-option choice, resign or be fired, that is a fact, the pay, I was told continued because of her actual last day. She left the "university" on June 1st, 2018, but was paid until December 31st. However, I will not let you call me a liar and "you" sir, offer no details or "alternative facts" to refute my sentiments! It's fine that you believe everything John Dell writes in the Journal, that is your choice, but I believe the folks I speak to in athletics, period. If what I was told was false, I'm man enough to say I was wrong, but I absolutely stand behind my comments/statements! Happy New Year Ram!
                        The University does not have to disclose financial arrangements unless a request to disclose is made. I think we can agree that John Dell, among others, has requested this. We have seen nothing and can conclude no financial agreement exists to date. Tonia Walker was not paid through December 31st, 2018. She received nothing additional. I get it that you are sharing what sources in Athletics shared. They are guessing. The only individual in Athletics who MIGHT have access to details to anything agreed upon related to the Walker separation would be the interim AD who would have had no say in any of those decisions and would not have been considered a "need to know" individual.

I never disagreed with the statement that the department was hurting due to Boulware. I refuted that it was related to settlements/payouts with both Walker and Boulware. Boulware's suspension with pay I agree is a factor.

Comment

We can all agree that the current situation is hurting WSSU in recruiting and moving forward with the success of it's football program. Would like to here you all's view but I feel at the D2 level an initial contract should be for two years with yearly program evaluations for two years. Then evaluated after that for more time as needed. This would preclude an administration from being bogged down paying to buyout a long term contract. Currently, Massey is carrying on with recruitment and I feel should be allowed to coach those guys he bring in as well as those presently on the the team who has confidence in his coaching.If he does well reward him if not replace him.

Comment

WSSURAM, you and I are after the same result, to regain a winning culture at our beloved university! I am positive that things were done behind the scene that most fans and alumni have no clue took place because of "who" (plural) told me. Again, if what was shared was wrong I will be the first to apologize! I just want to see our program thrive once more and finances are a huge issue at the moment. I appreciate you and your input, its just passionate words from behind a keyboard on a football fan forum! Not my hope to spread any "misinformation" and in hindsight, some things are best kept close to the breast. Everyone's opinion is heard and yes, challenged! Ram respect...

Comment

WSSURAM, you and I are after the same result, to regain a winning culture at our beloved university! I am positive that things were done behind the scene that most fans and alumni have no clue took place because of "who" (plural) told me. Again, if what was shared was wrong I will be the first to apologize! I just want to see our program thrive once more and finances are a huge issue at the moment. I appreciate you and your input, its just passionate words from behind a keyboard on a football fan forum! Not my hope to spread any "misinformation" and in hindsight, some things are best kept close to the breast. Everyone's opinion is heard and yes, challenged! Ram respect...
                              WSSU1996, we definitely have the same goal. I might have an idea of what your folks in Athletics are thinking was settlement with Walker. Ad a State employee, she would have been due payout of vacation hours (240 hours max) and bonus leave. Contract could have had incentives for Championship and academic achievements that required payout as well.

Ram love, my Ramily!
                              Last edited by wssuram; 12-30-2019, 11:45 PM.

Comment

"We can all agree that the current situation is hurting WSSU in recruiting and moving forward with the success of it's football program. Would like to here you all's view but I feel at the D2 level an initial contract should be for two years with yearly program evaluations for two years. Then evaluated after that for more time as needed. This would preclude an administration from being bogged down paying to buyout a long term contract. Currently, Massey is carrying on with recruitment and I feel should be allowed to coach those guys he bring in as well as those presently on the the team who has confidence in his coaching.If he does well reward him if not replace him."

Callen2525, my opinion has shifted over the years and I say that only because of the fluidity of Coaches at the DII level. Turnover seems to be more frequent but the recycling of coaches is frustrating, especially at HBCU's. The context for my logic comes from what I call the "culture" shift. Coaches in my playing days, *late 80's, early 90"s, (both High school and college) were institutions, meaning they stayed at their respective schools for decades, and turnover was seldom. Now, for many, they see the DII Head Coaching position as just a stepping stone to prove yourself in hopes of landing a job at a larger program, no loyalty. We held on to Maynor much longer than I thought we would, knowing he was being courted by several larger schools. Thinking this way, I believe offering a Head Coach just a two-year contract is a "risky" proposition. All the components that have to align to be successful (having a strong staff, getting solid recruiting, dealing with any residual issues from the previous staff, having the administrations' support) two years is very hard. I think a "seasoned" Head Coach may steer away from such an offer because they see the forest and the trees. A young coach possibly hoping to transition from High School to the college level may accept the challenge full steam ahead, but just like Maynor, he is unproven. Coach Hayes saw or knew Maynor would be a winner and took a chance. The problem at WSSU, in my opinion, is that we have developed a "win now" culture. Maynor really spoiled us, I drank the kool-aide straight from the jug, however, the reality is most successful programs are built over time with sound steadfast philosophy. Tasting the fruit of a program that played for a National Championship just 7 seasons ago, our fan-base seems to have little tolerance for "re-building". Two- years is a tough sell, I believe you have to offer at least three... Sorry for the long-winded answer, but I wanted to give a little context to how I formulated my answer! What do you think?
                                Last edited by WSSU1996; 12-31-2019, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X