Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBCU Funding

HBCUs just received a tremendous early (and much needed) Christmas present from Washington this week.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-funding-bill/

The article states "The bill restores $255 million in annual funding that lapsed Sept. 30 after Congress failed to renew it." So this is funding that was already in place almost 3 months ago.....ok

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
      The article states "The bill restores $255 million in annual funding that lapsed Sept. 30 after Congress failed to renew it." So this is funding that was already in place almost 3 months ago.....ok
      Regardless, Thank You DJT!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post

Regardless, Thank You DJT!
        I am a history man and though the funding was restored, I look at why it was discontinued by the republican congress BTW. So now the House has been flipped and elections are looming djt wants to court the Black vote and declare "look what I did" without sending the message to continue it from the onset. I call this and that BS. 45 is about 45 and no one else. ALL HIS ACTIONS ARE ABOUT MONEY!!!!

Comment

(LOL) I'm a registered Democrat, and voted for President Obama, but it's crystal clear some very positive things that don't get talked about much are presently happening, and has me looking at things differently these days. On the funding, I just hope the majority of it goes to things that are needed most, and not used to inflate already over the top admin salaries and perks.

https://www.newsmax.com/jackbrewer/t.../12/id/924217/

Anyway, this is great news for the CIAA's schools which are struggling at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
            (LOL) I'm a registered Democrat, and voted for President Obama, but it's crystal clear some very positive things that don't get talked about much are presently happening, and has me looking at things differently these days. On the funding, I just hope the majority of it goes to things that are needed most, and not used to inflate already over the top admin salaries and perks.

https://www.newsmax.com/jackbrewer/t.../12/id/924217/

Anyway, this is great news for the CIAA's schools which are struggling at this time.
            Eagle74, I understand and you are right the schools could use the money. But the way I see it is like someone who is on a desert island and every boat that sends you water is being sunk by the other person on this island, then one day giving you a glass of water. It makes no sense. No reason on why the funding stop but give me credit for starting it back up.

Comment

Originally posted by callen2525 View Post

Eagle74, I understand and you are right the schools could use the money. But the way I see it is like someone who is on a desert island and every boat that sends you water is being sunk by the other person on this island, then one day giving you a glass of water. It makes no sense. No reason on why the funding stop but give me credit for starting it back up.
              I just wish it was an addition to the re-established funding...that's all I am saying.

Comment

West Virginia has two HBCU's (Bluefield State College & West Virginia State University). They both have a vast majority of white students. Does that affect their federal funding? Just curious.
                Last edited by crixus; 12-26-2019, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
                  West Virginia has two HBCU's (Bluefield State College & West Virginia State University). They both have a vast majority of white students. Does that affect their federal funding? Just curious.
                  If they are categorized as an HBCU, then yes.

Comment

I absolutely agree. I don't believe any HBCU should be discriminated against for diversifying. A HBCU will always be a HBCU, no matter what happens over the years, thus the term historically.

Comment

Originally posted by wssuram View Post

If they are categorized as an HBCU, then yes.
                      I just double checked and they both are. Thank you.
                      Last edited by crixus; 12-26-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I absolutely agree. I don't believe any HBCU should be discriminated against for diversifying. A HBCU will always be a HBCU, no matter what happens over the years, thus the term historically.
                        Correct. Thus the designation of historically instead of predominantly.
                        Last edited by wssuram; 12-27-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I just found out that Historically Native American Colleges and Universities are included as part of the funding bill, including D2 - UNC-Pembroke.

Comment

I just found out that Historically Native American Colleges and Universities are included as part of the funding bill, including D2 - UNC-Pembroke.
                            Yes, I believe the bill includes historically minority-serving institutions.

Comment

Originally posted by callen2525 View Post

I am a history man and though the funding was restored, I look at why it was discontinued by the republican congress BTW. So now the House has been flipped and elections are looming djt wants to court the Black vote and declare "look what I did" without sending the message to continue it from the onset. I call this and that BS. 45 is about 45 and no one else. ALL HIS ACTIONS ARE ABOUT MONEY!!!!
                              DJT doesn't have to court the black vote. Unemployment numbers, wage increase, opportunity zones, First Step Act, Trade agreements, Immigration reduction, all have helped the black community and all Americans. The HBCU funding is an additional piece. As a history man, you likely should be more concerned about the courting of votes by the Democratic party every four years, and their performance over the last 60. I am hoping for the restoration of HBCU football when Eddie Robinson, Jake Gaither, etc had the great programs. Even Rudy Hubbard, Billy Joe etc. Anything that helps kids get to college because they have more money in their pocket, and their folks can make it happen, enhances our generations. Happy New Year to All!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X