Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
    The way I understand it (and it took a while) is that they want six more football schools to form a conference with North Alabama and Kennesaw State (though if the plan works as intended, KSU would initially be football-only in that new conference). These six would preferably be public universities in the same geographical area as those two.

The possible candidates I've seen mentioned include Jacksonville State from the OVC, Southeastern Louisiana and Nicholls State from the Southland, potentially someone else from those two conferences, possibly Chattanooga from the Southern Conference (less likely East Tennessee State), maybe Florida A&M from the MEAC (probably no other HBCUs), and perhaps someone from the Gulf South if any of them are interested in moving to D1.
    So I guess my question is why does the ASUN think teams from established conferences that typically field multiple playoff teams like the OVC, Southland, and Socon would want to leave to start a new conference?

Also, I continue to wonder how locked into the ASUN KSU really is. I'd imagine if the SOCON came calling they would leave in a heartbeat.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

So I guess my question is why does the ASUN think teams from established conferences that typically field multiple playoff teams like the OVC, Southland, and Socon would want to leave to start a new conference?

Also, I continue to wonder how locked into the ASUN KSU really is. I'd imagine if the SOCON came calling they would leave in a heartbeat.
        There is a subculture of college sports fans that simply like to dream about team/conference movement and realignment all the time. The seldom consider any real factors like budget. Also, there are always conferences that are doing whatever they can simply to stay afloat and people involved with that conference one way or the other like to float hair brained ideas as well. They're desperate.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

There is a subculture of college sports fans that simply like to dream about team/conference movement and realignment all the time.
          I'm curious... Has DavidSt ever been on the D2 board? He's quite notorious elsewhere.

Comment

I'm curious... Has DavidSt ever been on the D2 board? He's quite notorious elsewhere.
            Please no. He only supports the dissolvement of D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

Please no. He only supports the dissolvement of D2.
              Haha. Despite the fact that you and he share an alma mater and both discuss realignment frequently, it didn't take me long after joining here to figure out you weren't him.

Comment

What is his real name? There was a Humboldt fan a while back that thought basically everyone who won a playoff game in D2 should reclassify to the FCS.

Comment

What is his real name? There was a Humboldt fan a while back that thought basically everyone who won a playoff game in D2 should reclassify to the FCS.
                  As far as I know, David is his actual first name; I don't know his last name, but it probably begins with S. I've encountered him on four different sites (CSNBBS, Reddit, VSN, Helmet Project); his screen names on those four, respectively, are DavidSt, DavidS12, DavidSt, and David S.

He apparently went to Arkansas Tech, so he wouldn't be the Humboldt fan.

Here are some recent examples of what he posts:

Central Washington U. and Western Washington U. is not having that problem with student populations, and CWU seemed to have some success in fundraising for infrastructures. The problem could be the people who are running EWU like the President and BoRs who are not doing something right about attracting students or raised the funds for athletics.

Now, get Central Washington, Western Washington to restart football, Western Oregon, CSU-Pueblo, Colorado Mesa, Western Oregon, Simon Fraser, College of Idaho, Carroll Montana and Azusa Pacific to upgrade to FCS football? You could get Big Sky schools to save money on sports. Get San Diego or any of the west coast D3 schools to move up could help.

Put a little pressure on all those public west coast schools to start football as well.

As for one of the largest schools? Bellevue the 2 year public college is pretty large that could be turned into Bellevue State or Bellevue University as a 4 year to work their way up.
                  New Haven is in NE 10 Conference in D2. LIU-Post and Merrimack came from there. That means they will go to NEC along with Bentley and Southern New Hampshire to 14.
                  Here is what ASUN could do. Merge with Gulf South Conference from D2. You do get a tighter footprint.

UNF
                  FGCU
                  Jacksonville
                  Stetson
                  Florida Tech
                  West Florida
                  Kennesaw State
                  Shorter if they can afford it.
                  Valdosta State
                  West Georgia
                  North Alabama
                  West Albama
                  Auburn-Montgomery
                  Montevallo
                  UHA
                  Delta State
                  Mississippi College
                  Lipscomb
                  Christian Brothers
                  Lee
                  Union
                  North Greenville
                  Liberty
                  Bellarmine
                  NJIT
                  Then when 7 years come by, football schools can split off and restart Gulf South Conference instead of UAC. GSC produced Troy and some others that are good at sports at D1.

UNF
                  FGCU
                  Jacksonville
                  Stetson
                  AU-M
                  Montevallo
                  UHA
                  Lipscomb
                  Christian Brothers
                  Lee
                  Union
                  Liberty
                  Bellarmine
                  NJIT
                  Shorter may go non-scholarships to play in the Pioneer.

North Greenville could get invited to the Big South.

GSC:
                  Florida Tech
                  West Florida
                  Kennesaw State
                  Valdosta State
                  West Georgia
                  North Alabama
                  West Alabama
                  Delta State
                  Mississippi College
                  Then they invite Flrida A&M, Bethune-Cookman, Alabama State and Alabama A&M.

Southland, SWAC GSC can trade schools.

SWAC:
                  Delta State
                  Alcorn State
                  Miss. Valley State
                  UCA
                  UAPB
                  Nicholls
                  SE LA.
                  New Orleans
                  Southern
                  Grambling
                  NW LA. State
                  McNeese State
                  Mississippi College and Christian Brothers could go here along with Arkansas Tech and UAFS.

Southland gets Texas Southern, Prairie View, Central Oklahoma, Tarleton State and UTRGV.

Comment

No worries. Never heard of the guy.

Comment

Holy crap Inkblot what he wrote was pure fantasy. He's not serious, right?

Comment

Holy crap Inkblot what he wrote was pure fantasy. He's not serious, right?
                        He is the same guy who said that both Upper Iowa and Arkansas Tech among others are ready to go D1. He talked about St Cloud going D1 AFTER they dropped football.

He throws about a hundred names against the wall, then crows about it when one happens.

Comment

Is he stable? I mean these are the ramblings of a mad man.

Comment

Is he stable? I mean these are the ramblings of a mad man.
                            I'm guessing that like some other online posters, he wants attention. The more outlandish, the more attention.

Comment

So I was hanging with some friends last night and this topic actually came up.... You all should know right now that "grass" was partaken at the moment, and I had a surprisingly strong contact just sitting in there so I was in no condition to point out the flaws of this scenario.

Anyway. One friend said the MEAC could reestablish itself as a D2 conference. The plan would include the MEAC letting NC Central, SC State, Bethune-Cookman & FAMU leave the conference to do what ever they want to do as far as finding a new home. The next step would be giving a mass invitation to the CIAA's northern division schools (except Elizabeth City and Chowan). Assuming all those schools accepted the invitation that would make a new(ish) MEAC with Bowie State, Coppin State, Delaware State, Howard, Lincoln, Maryland Eastern Shore, Norfolk State, Virginia State and Virginia Union.

Now that I can think clearly there's some issues with that idea.... First of all, no way in hell those current MEAC schools would all agree to move to D2. There's some serious egos involved with most of them. Second, I'm not sure a conference can just reclassify divisions in NCAA. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Would think that a more likely scenario would be letting the MEAC officially cease operations then going on to start a new conference featuring those northern based schools of the former MEAC and CIAA. Third, don't know how easy it would actually be to simply kick those southern MEAC schools out of the conference. Even if they wanted to make some effort to remain D1, you would think they may try to maintain the MEAC name and legacy. Or maybe not. Fourth, can't assume all those northern CIAA schools would be on board with joining a D2 MEAC. Fifth, the CIAA might take some sort of legal action if the MEAC gave an invite to that many of it's members. Seems an awful lot like when the ACC raided the Big East back in the early 2000's but on a division 2 level. Didn't the Big East threaten some legal action against the ACC?

However it's not an entirely bad idea. Geographically speaking, a conference with a footprint of Southeast Pennsylvania (not quite Philly area) to Norfolk, VA is pretty good. The longest bus trip would between Lincoln and Norfolk State at about 4 hours and a little less with the other VA based schools. I already know games involving any combination of Bowie/Coppin/Howard/Morgan wouldn't require hotels to booked. Depending on the time of day games are played, the same could be true of any VA State/VUU vs Norfolk events.

Not the worst stoned idea I've ever heard. But no way in hell all of that would ever happen though lol

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I'm guessing that like some other online posters, he wants attention. The more outlandish, the more attention.
                                Fair enough. I shouldn't assume that everyone has the same intent when posting.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X