Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortened Schedule for 2020

According to the NCAA....

Division II sports schedules will be shortened for the 2020-21 academic year, the NCAA announced Tuesday. Division II football teams will play a maximum of 10 regular-season games, down from 11.

Under NCAA guidelines, it appears that the CIAA Championship game is a regular season game as opposed to post season, which would be game 11 for the participants. So, with the 10 game limit, will the CIAA declare a champion based on best overall record and drop the Championship game or ask schools to eliminate an OOC game? Your thoughts...
    Last edited by VSUTrojans; 05-26-2020, 05:18 AM.

What "should happen" versus what "will happen" is very much up in the air, VSUTrojans. That is a very good question. Canceling an OOC game is probably the right or best move in my opinion if you favor saving the Championship game, however, nullifying the various contracts schools have with each other could be a huge hurdle/issue. That means every team in the league would have to cancel one OCC game, can it be done given the unique circumstance, sure, however, I'm not certain that will be the play. Then, on the other hand, letting the league office crown a champion based on records or some other criteria is sketchy, too. The league's history has shown reluctance to crown an individual champion when there are "circumstances" involved in the decision-making... ie, the VSU/WSSU fight for example. The championship was left vacant that season. If records are equal they will more than likely say "Co-Champs". That's just my opinion...

Comment

Seems as if one game out of 11 (9%) isn't worth it unless they're going to revamp the playoffs somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
        Seems as if one game out of 11 (9%) isn't worth it unless they're going to revamp the playoffs somehow.
        What do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

What do you mean?
          Sorry Brandon, didn't see your question til today. I think I meant, (it has been 30 days), why bother removing just one game? one less doesn't seem like it would matter much in the big scheme of things. The NAIA reduced to nine from a max of 11 and D3 allows playoff consideration for a 5 game season, (IMO that's crazy if other teams play double that. I understand its a crazy year).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X