Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Florida A&M possibly leaving MEAC for SWAC?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Florida A&M possibly leaving MEAC for SWAC?

Once again the CIAA's D1 counterpart the MEAC appears to be falling apart. Would have to think the rest of the MEAC members may be planning their escape as well.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/01/famu-plans-to-leave-meac-for-swac/?fbclid=IwAR0_Ur8ahpJz8IuSQhu4uOKTGus4JtOyi2gEFQPC uggQhiLVDurCecMZSyI

I am not as familiar with what is going on in the MEAC, why has there been such an eagerness to leave the conference lately?

Comment

I could see Delaware State dropping down to D2 and the CIAA as both Bowie and Lincoln are less than a 2 hour bus drive. Norfolk probably would opt to stay at the FCS level and look to CAA or Big South or Southern Conference for a home. The Big South would allow them to renew their battle of the bay rivalry with Hampton yearly within conference play.

Comment

Originally posted by SkegeeGrad151 View Post
        I am not as familiar with what is going on in the MEAC, why has there been such an eagerness to leave the conference lately?
        I believe instability with a few universities has scared others into looking out for themselves. Also I believe with NC A&T success in football the last 5 years or so they've ran their course with the celebration bowl and want to play for the FCS title. South Carolina State has had financial issues as well as Bethune Cookman, so if they left the conference it would be down to Norfolk State, Delaware State, NCCU, Morgan and Howard.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

I believe instability with a few universities has scared others into looking out for themselves. Also I believe with NC A&T success in football the last 5 years or so they've ran their course with the celebration bowl and want to play for the FCS title. South Carolina State has had financial issues as well as Bethune Cookman, so if they left the conference it would be down to Norfolk State, Delaware State, NCCU, Morgan and Howard.
          plus Coppin State & Maryland Eastern Shore

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
            I could see Delaware State dropping down to D2 and the CIAA as both Bowie and Lincoln are less than a 2 hour bus drive. Norfolk probably would opt to stay at the FCS level and look to CAA or Big South or Southern Conference for a home. The Big South would allow them to renew their battle of the bay rivalry with Hampton yearly within conference play.
            Honestly the only remaining MEAC schools I could see being actively pursued by other (D1) conferences are Bethune-Cookman & NC Central. I think the Big South would most likely pick up NC Central to add the Aggie-Eagle classic to their conference. Meanwhile I think Norfolk and SC State's fairly recent issues would scare off the Big South from an invitation. Although Bethune-Cookman had recent issues of their own, I think the SWAC would absolutely jump at the chance to bring them in along side with FAMU to have the Florida Classic under the SWAC banner.

I agree that Delaware appears to be most likely to drop to D2. Even ahead of the non football members Coppin and Eastern Shore

Comment

I think that Delaware State, Coppin State and Maryland Eastern Shore are all candidates for D2 and would probably seek membership in the CIAA since all 3 are in the conferences footprint. None of you mentioned Morgan State and, to be honest, I don't know what they would do since their athletic programs, although successful, have been mediocre the past few years. Howard is headed to the Big South via invitation and recommendation of Hampton so that they can keep "The Real HU" rivalry intact. I think the same will happen with NCCU via recommendation from A&T to renew the Aggie-Eagle Classic. I actually think Norfolk State will return to the CIAA if the MEAC becomes defunct since I don't think finances would permit them to jump to the Big South and their natural rivalries are in the CIAA. Same is true of SC State, which I think will move to the SIAC, for financial reasons as well as rivalry schools in their footprint. Bethune Cookman should definitely move to the SWAC. It just makes sense now that FAMU is moving.

Comment

Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post
                I think that Delaware State, Coppin State and Maryland Eastern Shore are all candidates for D2 and would probably seek membership in the CIAA since all 3 are in the conferences footprint. None of you mentioned Morgan State and, to be honest, I don't know what they would do since their athletic programs, although successful, have been mediocre the past few years. Howard is headed to the Big South via invitation and recommendation of Hampton so that they can keep "The Real HU" rivalry intact. I think the same will happen with NCCU via recommendation from A&T to renew the Aggie-Eagle Classic. I actually think Norfolk State will return to the CIAA if the MEAC becomes defunct since I don't think finances would permit them to jump to the Big South and their natural rivalries are in the CIAA. Same is true of SC State, which I think will move to the SIAC, for financial reasons as well as rivalry schools in their footprint. Bethune Cookman should definitely move to the SWAC. It just makes sense now that FAMU is moving.
                What about Delaware State to the NE-10, or is that to far off? They could use another member.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

What about Delaware State to the NE-10, or is that to far off? They could use another member.
                  I don't see that happening. I don't see any D1 conference wanting DSU. Honestly outside of NC Central and Bethune-Cookman, I don't personally think any D1 conferences would be interested in any of the remaining MEAC schools. And yes, that includes Howard lol.

Comment

Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post
                    None of you mentioned Morgan State and, to be honest, I don't know what they would do since their athletic programs, although successful, have been mediocre the past few years.
                    If Morgan found themselves without a D1 home in the scenario you brought up, I think they would follow Coppin State to D2. The basketball games between the 2 schools are a draw locally. They'd get to keep their second biggest single day money maker (behind homecoming) intact. And Bowie State (football) games usually brought in a bigger crowd to Morgan than most of their MEAC opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by SkegeeGrad151 View Post
                      They all weren't on board with the Celebration Bowl in the first place. Also, some have had issues with the large footprint.

Hampton made the travel argument, but the big south travel isn't that much better considering that Hampton only had to make one Florida trip each year for football and most of the conference members were able to schedule the FL schools in other sports as part of a 3 day travel deal.

Hampton has also been trying to get in the CAA for years, and I'm assuming A&T has goals for the Socon. The Big South has been a stepping stone conference for years now so I'm guessing that is the endgame for those two schools.

My guess is that FAMU is just trying to get off the ship before it sinks, plus they have some history with the SWAC schools which should lead to some big attendance numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

If Morgan found themselves without a D1 home in the scenario you brought up, I think they would follow Coppin State to D2. The basketball games between the 2 schools are a draw locally. They'd get to keep their second biggest single day money maker (behind homecoming) intact. And Bowie State (football) games usually brought in a bigger crowd to Morgan than most of their MEAC opponents.
                        Big South still needs football members, and close travel for Monmouth would probably help things out. I could easily see Del State and Morgan State getting football only invites to the Big South. If that happened the American East could be a landing spot for their other sports. Seems like the NEC continues to grow so it wouldn't be crazy to see either of those schools end up there.

Coppin at least has a decent basketball facility, but I don't know if them or UMES are attractive to any D1 conferences.

Norfolk State, NCCU, and SC State are probably on the Big South radar. However, SC State could potentially join FAMU and go the SWAC route.

If BCU wants to stay D1 they probably need to try and follow FAMU. If not, about the only other option is to try and join the ASUN for all sports and Big South for football.

I think Howard could be a fit for the Patriot league.

Another wildcard option is for the remaining MEAC schools to stay in place and try and poach other schools, probably non football schools. NJIT plays in the ASUN, so leaving for the MEAC would be better travel. UMBC and Mount St Mary's are both kind of on islands as the southern teams in their respective conferences. Maybe one of them would be willing to jump ship, travel would be very easy having 4 or 5 Maryland schools in the same conference.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

I don't see that happening. I don't see any D1 conference wanting DSU. Honestly outside of NC Central and Bethune-Cookman, I don't personally think any D1 conferences would be interested in any of the remaining MEAC schools. And yes, that includes Howard lol.
                          Northeast 10, D2 conference. Sorry.

Comment

Howard has Hampton as an backer if they desire to go to the NEC and I'm sure the PL would welcome the most prestigious HBCU into their conference to show inclusion as well as not sacrificing their academic standards. It definitely would bring diversity to that conference and as mentioned previously travel wouldn't be a issue as they would be directly within conference footprint.

Comment

And WSSU getting partial blame for the potential demise of the MEAC lol

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X