Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSSU has one less game

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/co...a62fdd042.html

I see this as a smart and calculated move by UNCP to cancel the WSSU game. Aside from the COVID-19 situation which is still going strong in NC, Winston Salem has recently seen multiple protest and demonstrations (with many of the protesters not wearing mask or practicing social distancing) with no end date in the foreseeable future. These demonstrations / protest include blocking streets and highways, including I-40 for long periods of time. I can foresee lots of other cancellations of football games, especially in towns and cities where travel of both fans and teams can be impeded and safety could potentially be an issue on days of protest.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/i-...st/ar-BB15gmj0

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
      I see this as a smart and calculated move by UNCP to cancel the WSSU game. Aside from the COVID-19 situation which is still going strong in NC, Winston Salem has recently seen multiple protest and demonstrations (with many of the protesters not wearing mask or practicing social distancing) with no end date in the foreseeable future. These demonstrations / protest include blocking streets and highways, including I-40 for long periods of time. I can foresee lots of other cancellations of football games, especially in towns and cities where travel of both fans and teams can be impeded and safety could potentially be an issue on days of protest.

It wasn't UNCP's choice. The MEC is not playing any non-conference games this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

It wasn't UNCP's choice. The MEC is not playing any non-conference games this season.
        Being an Associate Member of the MEC in Football, UNCP still had options, and didn't have to abide by the June 11th MEC Member's ruling. So, UNCP did the right thing.

Comment

First of all, I live here in Winston-Salem and the protests, although very minimal had nothing to do with UNCP making the decision not to play the game. Also the majority of said protests are downtown, no where near Bowman Gray Stadium. I don't know where you are getting your facts from, but no one has been protesting on I-40.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Part of UNCP's agreement to be an associate member of the MEC was that they were permitted to play WSSU each year. So from that point, it was UNCP's decision to not play the game this year. At that point, MEC probably would have terminated their associate membership completely leaving UNCP with 10 open dates to fill.

Comment

Originally posted by gsutiger2002 View Post

I don't know where you are getting your facts from, but no one has been protesting on I-40.

Comment

Maybe that's fake news?????

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Maybe that's fake news?????
                  Nah, that happened. But Eagle has greatly exaggerated the protests in Winston-Salem. They have been downtown other than that and very peaceful. I attended one myself. There were very few people not wearing masks. And that mask comment is a joke as I have traveled in the MEC footprint recently. I saw fewer people wearing masks in public than those wearing them. My family was often the only ones wearing masks when we entered an establishment.

Comment

Originally posted by wssuram View Post

Nah, that happened. But Eagle has greatly exaggerated the protests in Winston-Salem. They have been downtown other than that and very peaceful. I attended one myself. There were very few people not wearing masks. And that mask comment is a joke as I have traveled in the MEC footprint recently. I saw fewer people wearing masks in public than those wearing them. My family was often the only ones wearing masks when we entered an establishment.
                    While Eagle may have exaggerated the protestor I40 shutdown, he was responding to a poster who flat said it didn't happen at all.

I took the mask comment as a shot at people who pruor to the protests had said a person not wearing a mask in public at a minimum would drive the corona cases up and in the extreme was tantamount to trying to kill people.

Comment

Highway 52 runs right beside the WSSU campus and football stadium / blocked during protest.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pr...em/ar-BB14WuzF

News footage of earlier protest in Winston Salem / clearly shows plenty of protesters not wearing mask or practicing social distancing. NC's COVID -19 numbers are really high and both hospitalizations and deaths numbers continue to grow.

https://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...3670b8b.html#2

Comment

They protested two seperate days, well over a week ago when blocking 52 for less than 20 minutes. To think that would affect football is ridiculous. Yall know his modus operandi. Look at his past contributions.

On another note, homecoming festivities were cancelled today as well.
                        Last edited by shonuff3; 06-18-2020, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Highway 52 runs right beside the WSSU campus and football stadium / blocked during protest.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pr...em/ar-BB14WuzF

News footage of earlier protest in Winston Salem / clearly shows plenty of protesters not wearing mask or practicing social distancing. NC's COVID -19 numbers are really high and both hospitalizations and deaths numbers continue to grow.

https://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...3670b8b.html#2
                          One thing for sure. US 52 isn't I-40. Second, I drove through the area around Hanes Mall that day coming from Lowe's. They never made it to I-40. The article was incorrect. I got stuck in traffic on Hanes Mall boulevard. Also the stadium is not directly beside US 52, the campus is.

Comment

Originally posted by gsutiger2002 View Post

One thing for sure. US 52 isn't I-40. Second, I drove through the area around Hanes Mall that day coming from Lowe's. They never made it to I-40. The article was incorrect. I got stuck in traffic on Hanes Mall boulevard. Also the stadium is not directly beside US 52, the campus is.
                            I'm very familiar with the area, been there countless times. Bowman Gray Stadium is within several hundred yards of US-52, and that's one of the key routes that fans (including children, grandmothers, emergency vehicles, etc) take to get to and from the football games. Not many other good viable options if traffic is blocked / stopped.

Comment

I'm very familiar with the area, been there countless times. Bowman Gray Stadium is within several hundred yards of US-52, and that's one of the key routes that fans (including children, grandmothers, emergency vehicles, etc) take to get to and from the football games. Not many other good viable options if traffic is blocked / stopped.
                              But still, you're making assumptions that a protest will occur during a game. Unless you have some inside information, you really don't know that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X