Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIAA suspends NCAA competition for fall 2020

No CIAA sports events including football this fall. Fall CIAA sports including football may be played on a modified basis in the spring. All scholarships for CIAA fall sport athletes will be honored.
    https://theciaa.com/news/2020/7/9/ge...fall-2020.aspx

That's to bad.

Comment

Smart decision for all involved.

Comment

So how do you guys think the CIAA (or any other D2 conferences) should go about doing a possible spring football season?

If it were my decision to make, I'd go with a short spring season. This is under the assumption that the fall 2021 sports season would be a return to normalcy (ie, football camps starting in mid August). In the CIAA's case, I think the best solution would be a 5 week long division only regular season, followed by a conference championship game. I'd start spring camps in mid March and kickoff the season first weekend of April, which would lead to championship game in early May.

I'd personally wouldn't have the championship game at a neutral site. Why spend the money renting out the stadium in Salem for an abbreviated season? Just let the division champ with the better record host the game. Several layers of tie breakers would need to be set in place just in case teams end up having the same record to determine home advantage for the championship game.

This is just me tossing up a random idea BTW. Let me just put that out there now lol

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
          So how do you guys think the CIAA (or any other D2 conferences) should go about doing a possible spring football season?

If it were my decision to make, I'd go with a short spring season. This is under the assumption that the fall 2021 sports season would be a return to normalcy (ie, football camps starting in mid August). In the CIAA's case, I think the best solution would be a 5 week long division only regular season, followed by a conference championship game. I'd start spring camps in mid March and kickoff the season first weekend of April, which would lead to championship game in early May.

I'd personally wouldn't have the championship game at a neutral site. Why spend the money renting out the stadium in Salem for an abbreviated season? Just let the division champ with the better record host the game. Several layers of tie breakers would need to be set in place just in case teams end up having the same record to determine home advantage for the championship game.

This is just me tossing up a random idea BTW. Let me just put that out there now lol
          Plain and simple:
          Training camp would begin second week in February (pray for decent weather-no blizzards, particularly in MD and PA).
          6 game (5 division and 1 inter conference game) schedule beginning second Saturday in March (CIAA Basketball Tournament concludes last week of February).
          Championship game would be last Saturday in April in Salem, Virginia (the normal site).
          Last edited by VSUTrojans; 07-11-2020, 04:45 AM.

Comment

It would really depend on what the rest of D2 did. If they played as normal this fall, then the short season is probably a good idea. If the entire season is shifted to the spring, the scheduling should satisfy playoff eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
              It would really depend on what the rest of D2 did. If they played as normal this fall, then the short season is probably a good idea. If the entire season is shifted to the spring, the scheduling should satisfy playoff eligibility.
              I assumed spring 2021 football would be conference only across the board. Mainly because that's what the Ivy League implied would be the deal for them. I suggested a short season for the CIAA because the fall 2021 sports seasons would presumably start when it normally would. Wouldn't want teams playing a full length 10/11 week season, plus playoffs just to have a short recovery time for the start of camps in August.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

I assumed spring 2021 football would be conference only across the board. Mainly because that's what the Ivy League implied would be the deal for them. I suggested a short season for the CIAA because the fall 2021 sports seasons would presumably start when it normally would. Wouldn't want teams playing a full length 10/11 week season, plus playoffs just to have a short recovery time for the start of camps in August.
                I totally agree about the short return time. I have been saying that since the idea of spring football first popped up.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I totally agree about the short return time. I have been saying that since the idea of spring football first popped up.
                  If an athlete tears an ACL spring of 2021 they are going to miss two entire seasons. Eligibility issues will become a nightmare to figure out. Yikes.

Comment

Okay. I see all these D1 teams playing football. Does anyone know if D2 is reconsidering its decision? Also does anyone know if basketball will be played?

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
                      Okay. I see all these D1 teams playing football. Does anyone know if D2 is reconsidering its decision? Also does anyone know if basketball will be played?
                      Some D2 schools are playing. CIAA will not. We have a plan for Spring football. Basketball will be a go as long as there are no major setbacks. Start will be later than normal. Likely will be conference games only for CIAA. The bright side if that is that will allow for playing all CIAA teams twice.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X