Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSSU narrows AD search

The search for our next AD has been narrowed to three finalist. I haven't researched these canidates for myself, but I will! Stay tuned...

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...AqDmj-eq-r3aBJ

Re: WSSU narrows AD search

Not exactly thrilled with the list, but out of the options I am most impressed by John Lewis who is the current AD at Bluefield State (D2 - Independent). http://go-bstate.com/information/dir...Lewis?view=bio

He's got a football background having played at Minnesota and also was spent some years as an assistant coach at Murray State and St. Cloud State. I also like the fact that he has had experience working in AD departments at both HBCUs and Non-HBCUs. He also seems to have the most experience as it relates to marketing and sponsorships, which is sorely needed at WSSU.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
      Not exactly thrilled with the list, but out of the options I am most impressed by John Lewis who is the current AD at Bluefield State (D2 - Independent). http://go-bstate.com/information/dir...Lewis?view=bio

He's got a football background having played at Minnesota and also was spent some years as an assistant coach at Murray State and St. Cloud State. I also like the fact that he has had experience working in AD departments at both HBCUs and Non-HBCUs. He also seems to have the most experience as it relates to marketing and sponsorships, which is sorely needed at WSSU.
      Yeah, he didn't present very well at the forum. Alumni ate him up.

Comment

Originally posted by wssuram View Post
        Yeah, he didn't present very well at the forum. Alumni ate him up.
        Any idea on what exactly was exactly asked by the alums that he didn't respond well to?

Comment

I agree. Not very impressed with any but Lewis has the background i think fits the mold of other successful AD's like bill hayes. For football you need that intimate knowledge to make a program go upward. Last AD was from Hampton. Dont know if i feel to good about another one from there. I know, i know but thats how i feel right now.

Comment

When looking for new ADs most progressive universities open the vetting to the very best candidates across the nation, with requirements based on previous success, fairness, growth with a basis on increasing both academic and athletic achievement levels. Progressive universities also closely look for a history of running respected, 'clean' programs without controversy or potential NCAA violations. In today's world, sometimes, to find an highly qualified AD which will guide athletics to a higher level requires looking outside of the box of the traditional pool of expected candidates.

Comment

Interesting. Follow link to info regarding book that Enzley Mitchell IV, Ph.D., candidate for AD position has written:

https://www.xlibris.com/Bookstore/Bo...=SKU-001197923

Also you may want to read some of the reviews of the book offered. I'm not favoring him but this info has given me a different perspective on his consideration. However, we need a do-er and not a pure academician in that position. He may be a bit of both.

Comment

It was mentioned to me last night by a good friend that it's strange or are we missing something that a coach was not on the search committee. My answer is WOW. Then, why not. And even better, I applaud the baseball team for NOT inviting the chancellor to Senior Night. You have to call out the Judas when they show themselves, no matter who they are.

Comment

The fact that two candidates have ph.d's says where the committee's head is to me. I will say two of them have fundraising experience of some sort on their resume. Two have run or currently run a business. So i think they looking for someone that has experince bringing in money. In gact as i recall all three show experience in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
                    Any idea on what exactly was exactly asked by the alums that he didn't respond well to?
                    He said that winning isn't what he looks at. He looks at the effort that players give. Of the effort is there, then winning or losing is secondary. He frequently mispronounced the school's name "Winstom". He couldn't provide the graduation rate nor the overall GPA for his athletes at his current position. The "guesses" he provided were great numbers. So he would want to know for certain because it should be a point of pride.

Comment

Originally posted by OGramball3r View Post
                      Interesting. Follow link to info regarding book that Enzley Mitchell IV, Ph.D., candidate for AD position has written:

https://www.xlibris.com/Bookstore/Bo...=SKU-001197923

Also you may want to read some of the reviews of the book offered. I'm not favoring him but this info has given me a different perspective on his consideration. However, we need a do-er and not a pure academician in that position. He may be a bit of both.
                      I was very impressed by Dr. Mitchell. He presented some innovative ideas to generate revenue. He spoke about a culture of winning. He wants all programs to win CIAA Championships and compete at a national level. He said that finishing in the top 3 in the conference should be the norm. He emphasized accountability for coaches. He spoke of a focus on graduating student-athletes in four years. Alumni were very receptive.
                      Last edited by wssuram; 04-26-2019, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                        When looking for new ADs most progressive universities open the vetting to the very best candidates across the nation, with requirements based on previous success, fairness, growth with a basis on increasing both academic and athletic achievement levels. Progressive universities also closely look for a history of running respected, 'clean' programs without controversy or potential NCAA violations. In today's world, sometimes, to find an highly qualified AD which will guide athletics to a higher level requires looking outside of the box of the traditional pool of expected candidates.
                        Dr. Mitchell does exactly that. He is not the traditional candidate. He is not from this region. He is doesn't have an HBCU background. He was AD at a technology-based university. He is also and academician who comes with an innovative business model that focuses on creating revenue and granting champions. Out of the box!
                        Last edited by wssuram; 04-26-2019, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wssuram View Post
                          Dr. Mitchell does exactly that. He is not the traditional candidate. He is not from this region. He is doesn't have an HBCU background. He was AD at a technology-based university. He is also and academician who comes with an innovative business model that focuses on creating revenue and granting champions. Out of the box!
                          A closer look:

Enzley Mitchell IV, Ph.D. is an assistant professor and chair of the sport management program at Bethel College in Mishawaka, Indiana (small private non-Football NAIA school) and owner of EKM Sports and Entertainment, LLC (now defunct and out of business).

Enzley combines his passion for helping young people pursue their dreams of attending college, participating in intercollegiate athletics, and educating families through a College Success Program called PrepSearch (for-profit app, with no found visible activity or facebook action in almost a full year).

He formed PrepSearch and developed the College Success Program after working in intercollegiate athletics as a basketball coach and director of athletics for over 15 years.
                          AD- Northern New Mexico University 2008-2010 (small non-football NAIA school)
                          AD - Illinois Institute of Technology 2010 - 2014 (non-football
                          Last edited by Eagle74; 05-05-2019, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Word going around now is that they may reopen the search. I hope that is the case. While we need an AD, we don't need to make a selection if the candidates aren't the right fit.

Comment

WSSU is a very fine university located in an excellent city, and should have many high quality (and qualified) applicants competing for the school's AD position. I believe the school should be able to attract many experienced ADs from other D2 schools, or even successful D3 schools (with football programs) especially when so many people across the country are now trying to relocate to North Carolina. I believe that hiring a new AD with experience with football programs is critically needed at this time while the search for a new Head Coach is beginning.

Good luck Rams!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X