Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WSSU narrows AD search

Originally posted by callen2525 View Post
    It was mentioned to me last night by a good friend that it's strange or are we missing something that a coach was not on the search committee. My answer is WOW. Then, why not. And even better, I applaud the baseball team for NOT inviting the chancellor to Senior Night. You have to call out the Judas when they show themselves, no matter who they are.
    I halfway cracked a smile on that move. That tells me that the excuse the administration gave to the team wasn't believeable.

Comment

Originally posted by gsutiger2002 View Post
      I halfway cracked a smile on that move. That tells me that the excuse the administration gave to the team wasn't believeable.
      Not sure why it isn't believable. Budget issues in athletics is no secret. Baseball is the most expensive of the non-revenue sports.

Comment

Good luck with your search guys and gals. I was in your city two weeks ago and had business right by your stadium. Good looking stadium but it seemed like it wasn't close to the university itself? I didn't go back into the neighborhood it backs up against though to see if that was mostly student housing.

With Boulware being let go it sounds like the whole athletic department is a mess. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post
          Good luck with your search guys and gals. I was in your city two weeks ago and had business right by your stadium. Good looking stadium but it seemed like it wasn't close to the university itself? I didn't go back into the neighborhood it backs up against though to see if that was mostly student housing.

With Boulware being let go it sounds like the whole athletic department is a mess. :(
          That last part about it being a mess is truly an understatement! I feel like inmates are running the asylum!

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post

Thanks. It's technically not on campus but it's not too bad of a walk. Most students walk from their dorms so it only ends up being a couple of blocks down MLK Street, granted when I was in school parking for games was free so I was lazy and drove.

Before that research parkway road was put in a couple of years ago there was just a little road where people would tailgate, that filled in the gap to make the distance seem even closer.

Things are a mix of a mess and just bad timing at WSSU right now. We took a year for the AD hiring process and the candidates leave something to desire, and the Baseball situation is just sad. Unfortunately Boulware's issue seemed to be self inflicted so the school's hands were kind of tied.

Comment

Does anyone know the specifics?

Comment

Originally posted by darren3nelson View Post
                Does anyone know the specifics?
                From my understanding Boulware should have reported a matter, but he tried to handle it without reporting. His handling of the matter was "whistle blown" to the school, so the school had no choice but to address it.

Comment

The last time I checked, a vast majority of the WSSU annual funding for the athletic department comes through the decisions made by the University of North Carolina University System's Board of Governors / Directors, and if you check, a lot of those members (decision makers) are made up of alumni of Division 1 schools which featured both Football and Basketball. Now, you have an AD candidate, who's pushing a book which portrays those same schools as plantations, and their athletes as slaves. Not sure how well this is going to go over with these decision makers (who are proud Alumni), who control the purse strings.

By the way, I have a few friends who were fortunate enough to attend Division 1 schools on free rides in football, and they will tell you it was not only the best years of their lives, through the connections and education, it was by far the best thing that ever happen to them in their lives. These are words from former athletes who actually played football.
                  They are all pretty successful in their businesses or present fields of employment.

Just food for thought, and simply my opinion. .
                  Last edited by Eagle74; 05-05-2019, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                    The last time I checked, a vast majority of the WSSU annual funding for the athletic department comes through the decisions made by the University of North Carolina University System's Board of Governors / Directors, and if you check, a lot of those members (decision makers) are made up of alumni of Division 1 schools which featured both Football and Basketball. Now, you have an AD candidate, who's pushing a book which portrays those same schools as plantations, and their athletes as slaves. Not sure how well this is going to go over with these decision makers (who are proud Alumni), who control the purse strings.

By the way, I have a few friends who were fortunate enough to attend Division 1 schools on free rides in football, and they will tell you it was not only the best years of their lives, through the connections and education, it was by far the best thing that ever happen to them in their lives. These are words from former athletes who actually played football.
                    They are all pretty successful in their businesses or present fields of employment.

Just food for thought, and simply my opinion. .
                    By the same token Eagle74 there are horror stories because we all know that all D1 athletes don't make it. They don't graduate nor see any parts of playing time. What you have presented is no doubt true but let's paint a complete picture about D1 athletics. I am sure some athletes wished they had done things a little bit different or maybe gone to a D2 school. Heck some would admit that they should have gone to an HBCU.
                    Last edited by callen2525; 05-06-2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by callen2525 View Post
                      By the same token Eagle74 there are horror stories because we all know that all D1 athletes make it. They don't graduate nor see any parts of playing time. What you have presented is no doubt true but let's paint a complete picture about D1 athletics. I am sure some ahletes wished they had done things a little bit different or maybe gone to a D2 school. Heck some would admit that they should have gone to an HBCU.
                      Never met a D1 Player who didn't know that they always had the option of transferring or simply walking away. They always have or had that choice. If they stayed with a program that they were unhappy with, all they had to do was walk over to the closest mirror and look eye to eye at the person who's to blame. But then again, most people already know that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X